Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Regenerative Brakes vs MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since more and more owners are getting their M3's, can you please provide your personal compare and contrast? Is the M3 regenerative braking deceleration greater? Less? Same? Also, do you need to touch the brake pedal at the last 3 MPH or so (so I've read about MS/MX)? The recent MT comparison article measured the M3 as the least capable regenerative breaker of the bunch and I'm not sure what to think about it and would love to hear anything you're willing to share...

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
I have only around 70 miles on it so far, but my impression is that it feels similar to any other Tesla but with some minor differences. Compared to my P85, I feel the regen on the 3 slows you more quickly initially, but isn’t as capable of bringing the car to zero mph, so yes the brakes are perhaps more necessary at <5mph. My guess is that this is largely due to the weight difference between them. It takes some slight adjustment if you have a lot of one-pedal driving experience already, but they’re not dramatically different. I just feel like I need to release the throttle more gradually at first , and engage the brakes a smidge earlier when I want to fully stop.

I am not an owner of any Tesla (yet) but have spent a lot of time in my cousin's 2013 P85. Comparing my 2-hour Model 3 drive to that, the regenerative braking on the Model 3 felt noticeably less intense than the S to me. I much preferred the regen on the S. That's not to say the regen on the 3 felt "bad," but there was a difference to me.

I realize I'm not the best person to chime in here as I can't compare and contrast as directly/recently, but that was my impression.

Reactions: T-Will
The general consensus that I've read here (and elsewhere, but not without some exceptions) is that the 3's regen braking is lower than the other Tesla models. Maybe due to RWD. I'm wondering if this is something that Tesla could or would change with OTA? I'd like to have both a lot of regen deceleration AND some settings in the GUI that let me dial just what I want.

Reactions: preilly44
I'm quite happy with the regen on the Model 3. I like to play the "one petal driving" game, not getting on the brake until the very last second. I also have an X90D, and the 3 is a much lighter car, so you can feel the difference, but I wouldn't say regen deceleration is a factor when driving the 3. I drive the two cars so differently, it's like any other technique you modify for the equipment.
I will say this - the regen is much more limited when the battery is nearly full (no surprises here). Only encounter this when road tripping and let the battery charge above 90%, but it's very noticeable when you first leave the supercharger.

I have an 85D and a 3LR, and I notice virtually no difference in the deceleration rate of each vehicle at max regen. If I fully remove my foot from the accelerator pedal at the same distance from the intersection in the 85D and the 3LR, I get almost exactly equal deceleration and stopping distance. Both require very mild braking at the last 5 MPH.