TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 release candidate spotted with 10 cameras

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

• Funny x 5
  2. Max*

Max* Not Banned

The Model S will go from on-ramp to off-ramp. No wait, wrong thread.
    The P85D will have 690HP. No wait, wrong thread.

The Model 3 will be inferior to the Model S! lol

• Funny x 6
  3. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I've learnt to temper my Tesla expectations a bit.
    - Spaceship like controls
    - Full service driving
    - AP2 parity by end of 2016

.. cameras are cheap, $15 each at best buy.
    They don't really matter until software takes advantage of them, which it won't .. for a good 2-4 years.

Model 3, is newer, its going to be better. But does anyone think that the super rushed up way, and skipping the beta, will yield a reliable car? IMO best to wait and see and be happy with what you have.

• Like x 1
  4. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

You make good points - but I have two day 1, noon, California reservations as an existing Tesla owner. I'm going to buy a Model 3 (or two) for sure - I figure I can drive it 6-12 months with close to zero depreciation and see how it compares to the S. If it's good enough I may just want to dump the S - we'll see.

5. Max*

Max* Not Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wait, are you serious? How so?

• Like x 1
  6. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

It's pure speculation, you cannot tell from those pictures if it's a camera or something else, and it's just a beta prototype, who knows other then Elon what will be in the final 3.

• Helpful x 1
  7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That's not Tesla's use of the acronym FSD. FYI.

8. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

6 months maybe. You have no experience with hot cars, waiting lists, and the short term pop?

9. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Model 3 depreciation will be interesting.
    - The federal tax credit will expire soon, which will put a base under the price (good, but also applies to S and X)
    - But there are plenty of headwinds against EVs in the current administration (bad)
    - The initial excitement (good)
    - Reliability issues, and service center/supercharger overload (bad)
    - Cheapest entry ticket to autopilot contingent to price and capabilities (equal)

Long story short - I wouldn't count on no or even less depreciation.

Thanks .. I was referring to Tesla promising it as being available by end of 2017, which seems unlikely. But I could be wrong.

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Tesla is continually trying to improve its cars. Anyone who expects technology to be frozen for a year at the time they buy their car, is probably buying the wrong car.

11. Max*

Max* Not Banned

Honestly no, I don't. But I see it applying to low-volume high end cars. The Model 3 will be neither.

They're supposed to ramp volume up quickly (sure, maybe I'm guillible), and it's a car that starts at $35k (so what, like $65k loaded?) and it has a $7,500 federal tax credit + some states have tax credits.

Dunno, maybe you're right, but I don't see it with the 3.

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Seems likely to me that the 2 new ones are part of a 360* parking view. We know the angle of the Model S AP2 cameras leave a blind spot (or spots), and the 360* parking view is both highly-requested and just the kind of flashy feature Tesla loves to spend time and money on.

It doesn't seem impossible its value would be stable for awhile. Even with large production numbers, the wait list is long (remember what happened with the X). And if the Federal credit expires shortly after you take delivery (thus you qualify and others don't), it's possible that helps prop up the value. Depending on the timing of the credit expiration I think you could probably unload it in 6-12 months and not take a big loss. I don't think the benefit will continue long-term, though. It'll sink back to expected levels once demand equalizes.

13. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

If you're at the front of the global line you get the lowest end version with self driving and a glass roof. Drive for a couple months while buzz is growing, not shrinking - then dump for a minimal loss if any. This will only work while there is still a huge backlog of course. After Tesla catches up you're right, value will drop fast.

14. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I don't really think so. I think they have enough coverage for the rear for a 360 view. From the other threads, what is missing the low mounted front facing camera. The current 3 cameras will be blocked by the hood, so there is a blind spot in the front for 360.

15. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

With a shorter hood on Model 3, this may be less of an issue. I hope the 3 does have 360* parking view, but if I had to guess, I'd say no. Could be a feature rolled out eventually, I suppose (on the S/X first, then 3).

16. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Damn. Now I've spit coffee all over my desk.

• Funny x 2
  17. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

But it would be cool when Teslas have Full Self Driving capability if they would drive themselves away to get Serviced. And the FlyYouIn hardware upgrade is not supposed to happen until 2020 BTW.

• Funny x 1
  18. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Factoring in sales tax and the fact the buyer of the used vehicle is unable to take the federal tax credit nor any available state incentives (state incentives which you would have to repay in CA if you took them yourself), you'd be extremely hard pressed to turn a profit.

19. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

@ucmndd - I don't expect to turn a profit.

20. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

I understand that some see an extra camera on the driver side c-pillar. To me that spec in the pictures is some marker of sorts for image recognition or so. Anyway, there is no such thing visible on the passenger side. So, doubtful that there are 10 camera's now.

• Like x 1