Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 release candidate spotted with 10 cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that some see an extra camera on the driver side c-pillar. To me that spec in the pictures is some marker of sorts for image recognition or so. Anyway, there is no such thing visible on the passenger side. So, doubtful that there are 10 camera's now.

upload_2017-4-5_18-32-56.png

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Honestly no, I don't. But I see it applying to low-volume high end cars. The Model 3 will be neither.

They're supposed to ramp volume up quickly (sure, maybe I'm guillible), and it's a car that starts at $35k (so what, like $65k loaded?) and it has a $7,500 federal tax credit + some states have tax credits.

Dunno, maybe you're right, but I don't see it with the 3.
With a wait list of over 400,000 orders, I think there will be quite the markup on resale Model 3s. If you're facing buying one now for $10,000 over list from an early reservation holder versus waiting a year to clear the backlog of orders, many will pay the premium.

more cameras doesn't necessarily mean better. The model S is superior in a good number of ways including cabin space, having an actual traditional dash display (vs one screen on the model 3), larger battery capacity, etc.

Once the actual model 3 design center comes online and we can see the full list of features can people accurately start freaking out or calming down about whos car is better lol.

I tried to warn you people but you won't listen. everyone wants to just parrot whatever elon says like its the gospel. I told u the current configuration isn't good enough for lvl 4 let alone level 5 because of its many blind spots. I told you they will add more sensors and new gpu. u ppl never listen and here we are again. i'm right and u been bamboozled. the entire fsd hardware capability announcement was a sham and pr to sell more cars. You can't know what you need when you don't even have a software and are using NVidia demoware. You know what you need when your software gets to a mature stage and you start encountering corner cases and scenario that challenges your system and shows its deficiency.

this is why elon came out last month and said they may upgrade the gpu. but its not a may, its a definite fact. he's just saying may for pr reasons and he's saying it now to soften the blow.

I tried to warn you people but you won't listen.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 12.45.55 AM.png

everyone wants to just parrot whatever elon says like its the gospel.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 12.48.32 AM.png

I told u...I told you...u ppl never listen and here we are again.

I'm so ashamed of myself. Right back in the same mess. We never learn - even with you here to guide us. :hangs head:

i'm right and u been bamboozled.
I am so tired of being bamboozled.

Seems likely to me that the 2 new ones are part of a 360* parking view. We know the angle of the Model S AP2 cameras leave a blind spot (or spots), and the 360* parking view is both highly-requested and just the kind of flashy feature Tesla loves to spend time and money on.

Where do we know the angles and blind spot of AP2 ??? Please give me a link, thanks!

Maybe I'm crazy, but if 2 more cameras or a GPU upgrade are needed for FSD doesn't it seem Tesla to:

1) Free hardware upgrade for those that paid for FSD already with initial purchase
2) Raise the upgrade price for those that didn't purchase to cover the new hardware costs.

People who already paid for FSD would have a huge class action suit against Tesla if they didn't offer it, since thats 100% what was promised at time of purchase & money was exchanged. I don't imagine Tesla couldn't just refund the ?$4k? to people because it would still result in a lawsuit, as most people financed that 4k over many years, so they'd still be losing money.

Has anyone looked at the GPU that is on a car for someone that's purchased FSD from time of order? Is there another slot to add in a second Nvidia unit? Are there unused wire harnesses on the C-posts?

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Where do we know the angles and blind spot of AP2 ??? Please give me a link, thanks!
I don't think we have the exact angles. Possibly anywhere low on the front of the vehicle forward of the side indicators. The cameras in the indicators point backwards, and the cameras on the windshield can't see down over the hood. To find the exact points someone would have to hack into the camera feeds.

• Helpful
Reactions: BigD0g
Maybe I'm crazy, but if 2 more cameras or a GPU upgrade are needed for FSD doesn't it seem Tesla to:

1) Free hardware upgrade for those that paid for FSD already with initial purchase
2) Raise the upgrade price for those that didn't purchase to cover the new hardware costs.
At a cost of $5,000 I'm pretty sure the new CPU hardware is already priced into the upgrade. Autopilot used to cost $2,500.

The price IMO is more about what people are willing to pay.

The usual Tesla owner is affluent, and if paying $100K means adding 2 hours to their day while keeping them safe, what is the price of that? That is the dream Tesla sold + uncertainty, and they figured people would happily pay $5K + $9k for it, and they were right. The actual hardware cost, I'd be willing to bet, is a lot a lot cheaper.

My personal POV, I have an AP1 car, I came from nice cars .. replaced my Acura + Aston Martin with a Tesla Model S. I am not super impressed by Tesla service ~ the people work hard and the people are good, but the company has it's head up it's donkey. Reliability concerns me too.

However, if FSD was a reality today, I think I could be convinced to blow another 100K on a new Tesla... maybe! ;-) .. but I sure hope some other car manufacturer gives them some competition too.

Reactions: davidc18