Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 repair costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, a friend sideswiped my Model 3 (RWD). Both doors and the rear quarter panel are smooshed. First, any ideas on repair costs in NYC area? I think all 3 have to be replaced and I don't think it's driveable - can't open driver's door and scraping sound when I moved it several feet. Also, any recommendations for a Tesla-certified body shop in the NJ/NYS borderline area? The Tesla service center looked at my pictures and said it was too much damage for them to repair. TIA. TG
IMG_4292.JPG
IMG_4288.JPG
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/559621/

the repair costs will be your insurance deductible (you certainly are not entertaining the idea of not having insurance involved)? Since "your friend" side swiped it, it should be "your friends" insurance who will take care of it?

If your friend is wanting to pay for it without insurance, you likely want to throw that idea out the window. You will be without the car for a while, while it is being repaired (likely measured in "several weeks / couple months" not "days or a couple weeks", and likely will want a rental car. I would guess that repair is "several" thousand dollars.

Hi all, a friend sideswiped my Model 3 (RWD). Both doors and the rear quarter panel are smooshed. First, any ideas on repair costs in NYC area? I think all 3 have to be replaced and I don't think it's driveable - can't open driver's door and scraping sound when I moved it several feet. Also, any recommendations for a Tesla-certified body shop in the NJ/NYS borderline area? The Tesla service center looked at my pictures and said it was too much damage for them to repair. TIA. TG View attachment 559626 View attachment 559627
2 doors and a rear quater. My guess would be close to 20 grand minimum and 2 months.

Great responses all - I did take it to a Tesla-certified body shop. The final tally was way over $20K so they totaled the car (Model 3 SR+). I was ok with the 'totaled' for the reason that Mojito said - I don't want a negative CarFax on the car if I ever sold it. Time for a new one - Model 3 LR (only comes in AWD which I don't need) or a Model Y - looking for more than 250 mile range.