TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 reservation agreement mentions "authorized Tesla dealer"?!?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tga, Mar 21, 2016.

1. tga

tga Active Member

#1 tga, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    This is interesting... Paragraph 2 of the Model 3 reservation agreement says (emphasis mine):
    The same section of the Model X reservation agreement says "between you and us or between you and another Tesla subsidiary (Tesla)." (ie, nothing about dealers).

Insert appropriate emoticons here: :eek::confused::mad:

EDIT - Other tidbits from the agreement (not unexpected) #2 - nonbinding, fully refundable of cancelled by either party; #6 - one deferral allowed if you aren't ready to order when your number is called; #6 - "not transferable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of a Tesla authorized representative."

EDIT #2 - This was from doc version "Model 3 RA – v.20160316" in case it changes (see footer).

2. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I have long thought that Tesla might go the dealer route for Model 3. Even though I am fighting hard to get Tesla its own stores and service centers in New Mexico, I wouldn't put it past them to behind the scenes be planning to just open up franchises or do some sort of hybrid or otherwise novel dealership model perhaps with very strict rules about markups, level of service, etc. I figure it'll be just my luck to spend the rest of the year trying to change the NM law, only to find out Tesla was going the dealer route the whole time... sigh

3. JST

JST Active Member

Also interesting is the address at the bottom of the Model 3 form, which is in FL. Are there different forms for different states?

4. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

No, the Model X form also references FL. Probably just a locality that provides the most favorable legal terms for agreements like this.

5. SureValla

SureValla Member

I noticed that you have 10 days to elect a deferral. Does this translate to you have 10 days to make the decision as to which options you want and hit the order car button once we contact you?

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I wouldn't read too much into that, especially given that it says "(Tesla)". In at least some states where it can have a dealership it operates through wholly-owned subsidiaries. All it really "says" is legal separation of the parts of the business.

• Helpful x 2
  7. SureValla

SureValla Member

anyone else notice on the blog post the following:

"The first, which will allow you to get a better spot in the queue, is to visit your local Tesla store when it opens on March 31st."

Italics and bold added by me

8. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

In many states the Tesla stores really are licensed dealerships, if state law allows company owned dealerships (which many do). People tend to conflate authorized dealership with franchised dealership, but the two aren't the same.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. tga

tga Active Member

Both good points, although I can't help but wonder why the change from the X docs?

10. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

FYI I checked with my contacts at Tesla and they say not to worry, this "authorized dealer" language is just a legal term of art, and that there are no plans to change the business model or do dealerships. So, I'm considering this case closed... for now :)

• Informative x 1
  11. tga

tga Active Member

Great, thanks for checking. There had been talk way back of Tesla moving to franchised dealerships to handle the Model 3 volume. I feared this was the first hint of that.

12. pvogel

pvogel Member

NO way. The same arguments for NOT having a franchise dealer model with the S and X apply equally to the model 3. No service revenue, dealerships don't know how to sell electric cars because everything is optimized around sales & service of ICE cars, etc.

In some states, Tesla creates a wholly owned subsidiary to act as a Tesla dealer in the state just to comply with that state's laws. The states that only allow FRANCHISE dealers are the ones that are a problem for Tesla.

Peter+