TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 reservation holders - have you gone MS/MX instead?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bonaire, Oct 4, 2017.

1. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Has anyone here done the switch from a Model 3 reservation to a buyer of Model S or Model X during 2017?

Perhaps due to time-scale or no desire to wait for the Model 3 builds to occur? Or were offered a deal on an MS. Let us know if you've done this and if you still have your Model 3 reservation or converted it to an MS/MX.

2. BrettS

BrettS Member

I did, and it didn’t even take long. Back in March of 2017 I placed a model 3 reservation, then I made the mistake of doing a test drive in a model S. Two weeks later I bought a 2015 model S from a private seller and cancelled my model 3 reservation.

• Like x 1
  3. beau.b

beau.b Member

Sold our S85 in August and planned on gettin g the MOdel 3.

I just picked up our X75D late last week. I have a Model 3 reservation with an Oct-Dec delivery window and still debating what to do with it once it comes up for the build.

4. cwellsatl

cwellsatl Member

Made the Model 3 reservation the night it was revealed. Then test drove a MS in July 2016. in Sept 2016 they made me a deal on a MS that i could not walk away from. Still have the 3 reservation. And not sure what to do with it when it comes up.

5. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

I made same mistake! Once I drove the S I just could not wait! I have no regrets after owning only 3 weeks and now my wife who was reluctant about the purchase says "Don't cancel the 3 yet" I may want it!! :):eek:

6. Jordaholic

Jordaholic Member

My brother (owner of a p85d) made the reservation for me. He went on a trip and I borrowed his car for the weekend and never looked back. I now have a model s p90d and the lady has a x p100d and we don't care for the 3 one bit

• Like x 1
  7. mach330

mach330 Member

Same error in judgement here. First day reservation holder (lined up). Test drove the ms ans I've been contemplating on getting it last few months. Finally pulled the trigger and ordered an ms. Holding on to model 3 reservations until they have a performance version on which I'll get it if my wife wants the 75 ms I will be getting. If not I'll cancel model 3 next year.

8. run-the-joules

Nope. Several Model S test drives, including one for 3 or 4 days (can't remember… probably 3?), really trying to convince myself at the time that I should get it. Spent a full day writing down everything I loved about the car as I found them, and a full day writing down everything I didn't like, and then seeing how they balanced out. In the end, I decided that while I could afford it, it just wasn't the right car for me for a laundry list of reasons.

Also test drove the Model X but since I hate SUVs, that was mostly an exercise in curiosity.

9. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Hey "Run the joules" just curious what was the major issue (if just one) you didn't like about the car? For me it was the 3s single screen. The issue for myself was just that looking to the right for everything including speedometer, 3 just seems watered down but I understand its priced accordingly. Still have the deposit on one!

10. run-the-joules

My "dislike" list on the S that I can remember off the top of my head:

Interior door handles are a crappy design. Pretty, but annoying to use.
    Sun visors are "tits on a bull" levels of useless
    Not much interior storage
    Headlights were very mediocre
    Sound system was pretty bad (to be 100% fair I cannot remember if the machine I did the extended test drive with had the premium audio)
    Just too damned big overall

The biggest issue though is that I had to ask myself "Do I feel this is worth $30-50k more than what the Model 3 offers, at least on paper?", and the answer was "no", especially since post-reveal I know now that I'll be paying $55k for my Model 3, and to get a Model S configured how I'd take it is about $89k and has substantially worse range AND includes air suspension, which I actively do not want because I don't trust them.

THAT SAID, if the Model 3 didn't exist I'd have bought the Model S… I just don't think it's a good value when compared to the 3. I could not possibly care less about the single screen, but I know some people do.

• Like x 1
  11. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Ok I really can agree with most...the visors are a joke! Door handles do take sometime getting used to...but as far as interior storage I actually like not carrying a bunch of junk in my cars or I use the glove compartment....Sound system for me is fine maybe cause I'm old..Lol and the car is big I will agree! Headlights...just as good as the adaptive ones I've had on BMW?? One of the other major factors for me was I got the car for 76k and then my 10k of incentives vs figured 50k for 3 and possibly partial or no incentive left? I waited a few days after ordering M3. BTW my entry level 75....4.2 sec 0-60!!! Had to rub that in!!:)

12. run-the-joules

Yeah that's all fair. I wouldn't mind the acceleration of the S but in the end as long as it's faster than my car (0-60 in 5.8), I'm fine with it.

The headlights might be "average", I dunno. My current ones are pretty great so those are the standard I'm setting against for now :)

13. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Nope, staying with Model 3. Models S and X are too pricey and large for me. Even the Model 3 will cost more than I've ever spent for a car and is a tad too wide for my preference.

• Like x 1
  14. Jsilva

Jsilva Member

Did the same exact thing. Test drove a P85 and I was hooked. Picked up my CPO P85 two months ago and I am still in love. Haven't cancelled the model 3 just in case the performance version is awesome.

• Like x 1
  15. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Two months ago I almost pulled the trigger spontaneously while at a showroom event at our local Tesla store. Good thing I took a night to sleep it over. The next day I realised what financial madness it would have been, and said no. Plus, a Model S is far too oversized for my/our needs anyway. Also, like others have mentioned, it doesn't offer the interior creature comforts that one would expect from such an expensive car - which the Model 3 has even though it is much cheaper. And Model 3 has more rear headroom, which is nice if I want to take tall passengers along for a ride.

16. geometro

geometro Member

Biggest issue for me is the size of the S... just too big for what we need.

• Like x 1
  17. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

Switched to Model S after test driving it... Still keeping the Model 3 reservation in case my wife wants it. Also, I am curious to test drive it.

My reasons for switching were: I am unlikely to get the Model 3 before the tax credit phase-out, particularly the AWD configuration, which I need. I do prefer bigger cars, hatchback design, an instrument cluster. I do have some concerns about the quality of Model 3, being brand new and mass-produced. The 0.99% financing offer was too good! And I needed a new car this year.

• Like x 1
  18. GTIceman

GTIceman Member

We picked up an S lease last year. Likely will not get the Model 3 and just stick with our S

19. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I've been severely tempted, but have held out to this point!

• Like x 1
  20. BinaryField

BinaryField Member

I know that this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not all that thrilled with the ultra-minimal design of the Model 3. (Though I understand that others see it as a plus.) I'm looking into a CPO Model S at the moment. I'll probably jump on one and turn in my reservation if the features and price are right. Otherwise, I'm probably going to just let go of the reservation and re-evaluate the car market offerings maybe a year or two down the line.

• Like x 1