Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservation holders - have you gone MS/MX instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made the decision to switch about 2 weeks ago and took delivery this past Saturday.

Factors for me on making the decision

Model 3 to small for our needs.
90D range not far off the LR 3.
AWD vs I was leaning towards rear wheel 3.
$7,500 tax rebate.
Financially I could afford it.
Didn't have to wait another 8-12 Months.
And most importantly My wife really didn't like the 3 and preferred the S. So when she gave me the go ahead I jumped on it.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
My "dislike" list on the S that I can remember off the top of my head:

Interior door handles are a crappy design. Pretty, but annoying to use.
Sun visors are "tits on a bull" levels of useless
Not much interior storage
Headlights were very mediocre
Sound system was pretty bad (to be 100% fair I cannot remember if the machine I did the extended test drive with had the premium audio)
Just too damned big overall

The biggest issue though is that I had to ask myself "Do I feel this is worth $30-50k more than what the Model 3 offers, at least on paper?", and the answer was "no", especially since post-reveal I know now that I'll be paying $55k for my Model 3, and to get a Model S configured how I'd take it is about $89k and has substantially worse range AND includes air suspension, which I actively do not want because I don't trust them.

THAT SAID, if the Model 3 didn't exist I'd have bought the Model S… I just don't think it's a good value when compared to the 3. I could not possibly care less about the single screen, but I know some people do.

Interesting how much is just preference.

I like the lack of interior storage, less places for people to put trash and misc stuff I don't need in the car. I looked in my truck and nothing that is in the storage in the doors needs to be there. Except and adjustable wrench for pulling plugs on boat.

Sound system is a big step up from what I had(is there any proof the 3 will be better)

Single screen I could have cared less till I drove the S, have the information in front of me I definitely prefer.

• Disagree
Reactions: AustinPowers
I made the decision to switch about 2 weeks ago and took delivery this past Saturday.

$7,500 tax rebate.
And most importantly My wife really didn't like the 3 and preferred the S. So when she gave me the go ahead I jumped on it.
Holy Toledo! Are we related?? Other than the 90d thing those were my "substantiating" thoughts!!:)

Reactions: sdugan99
Interesting how much is just preference.

Very nearly everything in a car purchase is based on preference. There are very few people who NEED a large sedan or an SUV, all wheel drive, more than one display, the ability to tow, an electric drivetrain, range of more than 150 miles, or all sorts of stuff. They just prefer having those.

Also, update on the sound system: My extended loaner definitely had the base sound system. Tried the premium one on Tuesday, it was fine.

Any more delay on the 3 and I'm about to cancel my reservation
Its simply really hard to conceive they can ramp up production to even 1k a month let alone the 5k he claimed would happen in Dec! Especially if some of the news reports are true and some of the production is done by hand (welding) which to me means they pushed it out sooner than later! I will leave my 1k with them for another 6 months and if assembly line still works like a turtle I will tell the wife "No 3 for You" but you can drive mine to get gas!!!;)

$7,500 tax rebate.
So I will bet now that you have had the car almost a month your saying to yourself.....M3 Naaaaaaaa:)

Reactions: sdugan99
Day 1 reservation holder here. Since then, we have test driven several Model Xes and several Model Ses. We've also rented a 2013 S P85 for a week and an X 75D 7-seat bench for a weekend - both for road trips. Coming up soon we're going for another round in the S P85 followed by a rental of an X 90D 6-seat.

I'm honestly torn on what to do. While the idea of spending close to $100,000 on a Model X gives me palpitations, we can make it work if we decide that it is the right vehicle for us. Bear with me while I work through this pros-cons list publicly, and feel free to provide feedback or insight.

We take a lot of road trips, often times with adult friends (never with children, as we have none). We feel that the Model X is superior to the Model S due to the extra room and more comfortable rear seats. The Model S is a little hard to get in and out of and the back seat really isn't the best for long-distance travel. If the Model 3's rear seat is more comfortable than the S, that would be a plus.

I do not like the middle row bench in the X. If we were to choose an X, it would have to be the 6-seat configuration. While it makes for less flexible cargo arrangements, it provides superior comfort for middle and rear row passengers.

Model S Pros:
  • Beautiful design
  • Very comfortable front seats
  • UI is excellent
  • Used models available at an attractive price point
  • Dual chargers available
  • Liftback provides a huge amount of storage room
  • Split screen due to portrait layout
Model S Cons:
  • Rear seat isn't great for long-distance comfort
  • A bit difficult to get in and out of; requires me to raise the steering wheel to get out. Tight squeeze between B pillar and steering wheel.
Model X Pros:
  • Outstanding interior layout, very versatile
  • Falcon wing doors make entry and exit better than any other vehicle on the market
  • UI is excellent
  • Pano windshield
  • Interior design is super easy to clean
Model X Cons:
  • The vehicle itself is huge. Great for road trips, not so great for city driving and parking.
  • Expensive to purchase
  • Expensive to repair
  • Power hungry
Model 3 Pros:
  • Smaller size, more nimble
  • Very attractive price point
  • Federal tax credit available for most early reservation holders
  • Most efficient Tesla model
Model 3 Cons:
  • User interface is borderline extreme, with most things (even the windshield wipers and cruise control/AP adjustments) being controlled by the touch screen
  • Early adopter issues like build quality and incomplete UI design
  • Sedan with a trunk - not as flexible as a hatch/liftback
  • No heated steering wheel
  • P and D are still several months (or a year) out. No federal tax credit.
Must-haves:
  • Autopilot
  • Long range (S85 or higher, X90 or higher, M3LR)
Nice-to-haves, but not deal breakers:
  • Cold weather package (heat on all seats, heated steering wheel)
  • Ultra Hi-Fi sound
  • High amperage charger or dual chargers
  • Tech package
  • Premium upgrades
  • Dual motor
  • Sub 5 second 0-60

Last edited:
Reactions: BinaryField
Was M3 reservation holder from day 1. Bought MX instead. The reason being that M3 is like MS which is too low for me getting in and out. I have back issues and need an SUV type of car. As the former car was getting really old I needed a new SUV soon and could not wait for Model Y.
I love the car and everything about it. You really start to appreciate it if you drive an ICE after a while. The one thing I found out I like most is the ability to close the door with the brake pedal. I drove a Volvo XC60 while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. Closing the door seemed like an intolerable chore...

Reactions: Big Earl
Day 1 reservation holder here. Since then, we have test driven several Model Xes and several Model Ses. We've also rented a 2013 S P85 for a week and an X 75D 7-seat bench for a weekend - both for road trips. Coming up soon we're going for another round in the S P85 followed by a rental of an X 90D 6-seat.

I'm honestly torn on what to do. While the idea of spending close to $100,000 on a Model X gives me palpitations, we can make it work if we decide that it is the right vehicle for us. Bear with me while I work through this pros-cons list publicly, and feel free to provide feedback or insight.

We take a lot of road trips, often times with friends. We feel that the Model X is superior to the Model S due to the extra room and more comfortable rear seats. The Model S is a little hard to get in and out of and the back seat really isn't the best for long-distance travel. If the Model 3's rear seat is more comfortable than the S, that would be a plus.

I do not like the middle row bench in the X. If we were to choose an X, it would have to be the 6-seat configuration. While it makes for a less flexible cargo arrangements, it provides superior comfort for middle and rear row passengers.

Model S Pros:
  • Beautiful design
  • Very comfortable front seats
  • UI is excellent
  • Used models available at an attractive price point
  • Dual chargers available
  • Liftback provides a huge amount of storage room
Model S Cons:
  • Rear seat isn't great for long-distance comfort
  • A bit difficult to get in and out of; requires me to raise the steering wheel to get out. Tight squeeze between B pillar and steering wheel.
Model X Pros:
  • Outstanding interior layout, very versatile
  • Falcon wing doors make entry and exit better than any other vehicle on the market
  • UI is excellent
  • Pano windshield
  • Interior design is super easy to clean
Model X Cons:
  • The vehicle itself is huge. Great for road trips, not so great for city driving and parking.
  • Expensive to purchase
  • Expensive to repair
  • Power hungry
Model 3 Pros:
  • Smaller size, more nimble
  • Very attractive price point
  • Federal tax credit available for most early reservation holders
  • Most efficient Tesla model
Model 3 Cons:
  • User interface is borderline extreme with most things (even the windshield wipers and cruise control/AP adjustments) being controlled by the touch screen
  • Early adopter issues like build quality and incomplete UI design
  • Sedan with a trunk - not as flexible as a hatch/liftback
  • No heated steering wheel
  • P and D are still several months (or a year) out. No federal tax credit.
Must-haves:
  • Autopilot
  • Long range (S85 or higher, X90 or higher, M3LR)
Nice-to-haves, but not deal breakers:
  • Cold weather package (heat on all seats, heated steering wheel)
  • Ultra Hi-Fi sound
  • High amperage charger or dual chargers
  • Tech package
  • Premium upgrades
  • Dual motor
  • Sub 5 second 0-60
Well obviously you've done extensive research and sounds like you know the 2 cars well. That being said maybe roll the dice and wait on M3 but worse case scenario you loose part of the tax credit but save a ton by not buying either higher end vehicle. I too shared some of your points but realize it just come down to preferences, Cash, convenience, comfort, whatever... but for me I was tired of sitting on the sidelines waiting to play:)

Reactions: Big Earl
Was M3 reservation holder from day 1. Bought MX instead. The reason being that M3 is like MS which is too low for me getting in and out. I have back issues and need an SUV type of car. As the former car was getting really old I needed a new SUV soon and could not wait for Model Y.
I love the car and everything about it. You really start to appreciate it if you drive an ICE after a while. The one thing I found out I like most is the ability to close the door with the brake pedal. I drove a Volvo XC60 while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. Closing the door seemed like an intolerable chore...
Yes just like push to start or push to turn off ICE car..or worse turn key in ignition:eek:

Reactions: Dutchie
Waffled on being a day 1 holder and then caved later on. The more I saw of the 3 the less I liked it. Scored a P85 and even happier because I have a car now and I don't like 3's dash. I'm not really a face lift fan either so very happy with my choice to pick up an S.

So I will bet now that you have had the car almost a month your saying to yourself.....M3 Naaaaaaaa:)
You would win that bet. Been a month and I am still blown away by the car. I am more impressed each day. When people ask is it as great as you thought, my reply is quickly "Even Better". Auto-pilot is actually better then I thought (what I get for reading the internet :)".

Reactions: bnsfengineer
Does anyone here have a model 3 and not an S X or Solar with Tesla prior? Im curious if model 3 owners get to participate in the Referral program. There's a lot of sweet rewards for doings so.

Referral Program History

I believe that they do. I made my model 3 reservation about a month before I bought my model S (and I had no affiliation with Tesla before that) and they sent me my referral code info shortly after I made the reservation.