Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservation market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard of some folks selling their poistion in the waiting que. For a few bucks - buyers can advance toward the front of the line and be more sure to capture the $7500 rebate - and get the car sooner. I saw some Craiglist offers for $5000 to release their position. Although some are scam artists -some surley are folks who cannot make use of their priority position and could be persuaded to bow out.
Is there a legitimate path to sell ones position into the reservation market?

Not Legitimate to transfer, except to a close family member. With the sale of reservations happening Tesla has made it harder to transfer the car from there account to yours, so there is now more risk than there was when people were doing this in the past.

Just want to get some feedback if someone has done something similar but didn't want to create a new thread for it.

My friend and I both reserved on 3/31. Him in CA, me in TX. He has his invite y'day and is wanting to defer for right now, however I would like to get one immediately.

Can he use his invite and go through with the reservation with my information, and make a TX delivery ( hoping that the TX holdup items do not become a showstopper ) ?

And maybe whenever lady luck shines on the TX reservation invites, l can do the reverse if in case he has made a decision at that point in time?

Risks? Setting out any flags?... Would greatly appreciate advice if someone has done this.

-H

Just want to get some feedback if someone has done something similar but didn't want to create a new thread for it.

My friend and I both reserved on 3/31. Him in CA, me in TX. He has his invite y'day and is wanting to defer for right now, however I would like to get one immediately.

Can he use his invite and go through with the reservation with my information, and make a TX delivery ( hoping that the TX holdup items do not become a showstopper ) ?

And maybe whenever lady luck shines on the TX reservation invites, l can do the reverse if in case he has made a decision at that point in time?

Risks? Setting out any flags?... Would greatly appreciate advice if someone has done this.

-H
Texas is different than the rest of the world. I expect you would have problems. Technically you can on transfer to a close family member. Some bend this rule but I would not try that with the extra steps required in the Texas process.

Agastya I am here in Texas and will pick up my car next week. When I received my invite to configure it looked like I could put any person's name/address that I wanted in the online form for the registration/title. I want my car so I put my own name/address for registration/title and of course the $2500 configuration fee went against my credit card. I paid for my car in full by wire and later when Tesla called to set up a delivery date they asked in what name I wanted to title the car. This question surprised me but once again I gave them my name and address. I assume on the basis of the configuration form and that they asked about titling that I could have changed the registration/title to someone else at either point in the process. Maybe this gives you some insight into the process. Hope this is of some help.