Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reservation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! After searching around contemplating to get a S or X I've decided to wait for the Model 3 with features. Only problem is that now I am late to pre-ordering. I have a friend that lives in my town who owns an S and is willing to let me use their MyTesla account to pre-order my Model 3 so I would receive it much sooner.

I would pay in full once the car was delivered. My question is if I would pre-order underneath his MyTesla account, would I be able to reserve it in my name? If I am allowed to, would the priority delivery still apply since it is underneath an account with an S but with a different name. Thank you.

Hey everyone! After searching around contemplating to get a S or X I've decided to wait for the Model 3 with features. Only problem is that now I am late to pre-ordering. I have a friend that lives in my town who owns an S and is willing to let me use their MyTesla account to pre-order my Model 3 so I would receive it much sooner.

I would pay in full once the car was delivered. My question is if I would pre-order underneath his MyTesla account, would I be able to reserve it in my name? If I am allowed to, would the priority delivery still apply since it is underneath an account with an S but with a different name. Thank you.
Said person would have to purchase it and then you purchase from said person. That's the only way. You can't put another person's reservation in your name.

You would also be buying a used car, and not be able to claim any tax credits (not that getting in line now would be much different). Best bet now may be to buy a CPO Model S, so that you're a Tesla owner, and move up in the line a bit that way. Or just get the MS and keep it. It's not a bad car... :)

There's been a lot of speculation as to whether Model S and X owners who order now will get priority delivery over people who lined up in the cold to pre-order. I suspect that if an S or X owner ordered now they would get priority over a new owner who order now. Not priority over someone who put in a deposit over 12 months ago.

LOL-you won't be getting it any sooner.
Your friend is crazy to do this as they will have to pay for the car.
If the billing person is not the same as the reservation holder-you'll be at the back of the pack.
You're ordering so late that it is highly likely you will be after all pre unveiled orders at the minimum anyways.
If you're trying to beat the system-won't happen.

You would also be buying a used car, and not be able to claim any tax credits (not that getting in line now would be much different). Best bet now may be to buy a CPO Model S, so that you're a Tesla owner, and move up in the line a bit that way. Or just get the MS and keep it. It's not a bad car... :)
And note that the friend wouldn't legally be able to claim the tax credit either.

But, if you're someone who'd be wanting a loaded Model 3, don't worry, because whatever Tesla has said about West Coast to East Coast, we know they'll always prioritize loaded cars to bring in the money.

I wish I could get a new Model S, but it would just be a stretch and I wouldn't want to have to deal with that. I could always get the CPO, but Autopilot 2 is too valuable to me.

LOL-you won't be getting it any sooner.
Your friend is crazy to do this as they will have to pay for the car.
If the billing person is not the same as the reservation holder-you'll be at the back of the pack.
You're ordering so late that it is highly likely you will be after all pre unveiled orders at the minimum anyways.
If you're trying to beat the system-won't happen.
Could you please link me a source that says if the billing and reservation names are different I wouldn't be in the priority spot?

This is an interesting thread I found regarding this issue. Confusion about "Existing Owner" priority | Tesla

According to some previous owners, Tesla matches previous owners with email addresses. This doesn't confirm any theory about the names, but it does show that it will link the car to any Tesla account activated with that address. I emailed a DS that I have been in contact with about this situation

you asked this same question last week and got essentially the same answers.
If you don't like the crowd sourcing answers you can ask Tesla directly and have them tell you no too.

you asked this same question last week and got essentially the same answers.
If you don't like the crowd sourcing answers you can ask Tesla directly and have them tell you no too.
Posted in different places to get the most responses. As you can see, many different responses have been given, especially in the other thread I linked above where current owners are talking about it. Also stated above that I am directly asking Tesla

No criticism here....I'm amazed at the restraint everybody has shown the OP. It was only a $1000 to order a year ago....and fully refundable. If anybody had any inkling they wanted to buy, they had their opportunity then to get in early.
I'm simply asking a question about the pre-order process. People aren't showing restraint, they are simply trying to answer my question respectfully, but obviously this has struck a nerve for you

I'm simply asking a question about the pre-order process. People aren't showing restraint, they are simply trying to answer my question respectfully, but obviously this has struck a nerve for you

What you are trying to do is akin to line cutting. I'm sure when you are standing in line at the grocery store that you are completely amenable to somebody cutting in front of you.

It might be that some people are irked that a Johnny-come-lately is trying to game the system and jump in front of those who stood in line for hours(and possibly drove hours too) to get an early reservation number.
Yes, I can understand that. I have the possibility to get the car early as I have a friend who owns a Tesla, so I'm going to try and use that. But I do understand your point

• Disagree
Reactions: melindav