Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservation -> used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been the Model 3 reservation holder since the beginning of April 2016, was eagerly waiting for the dual motor, and possibly Performance version. About a month ago, when it was getting closer to availability, I finally booked a Tesla test drive. Yes, I never drove Tesla before, was only a passenger a couple times. The main reason was: if I'd like Tesla very much (and it's an extremely high probability), I wouldn't be enjoing my existing car (which was GT-R, and it would be stupid not enjoying it), would sell it, re-mortgage my house, and buy Tesla. :)

So, I booked a Model S, came for a test drive, and the Tesla representative brought us to a P100D. That was a huge mistake! My plan was to try 100D, because in terms of performance that would be closer to a regular Model 3. No doubt, I wanted to try P100D, but... see above. :)

Anyway, of course I tried the Ludicrous mode. Of course I compared it to Standard, and of course I noticed the difference, and just confirmed what I already expected: only a Performance model would be a proper replacement for the Godzilla. I also compared Model S to Model 3, which they had on display, and my doubts grew even more - the 3 is undeniably very simplistic in terms of interior and controls - even compared to the S, which in its turn is already "simpler" than most conventional cars, especially those on the expensive side.

So, when I got an email from Tesla about Model 3 Dual Motor being available for order, I hesitated. I wasn't sure anymore! I also couldn't sell my GT-R by then - it's not a cheap car, and the market is very limited, I had to wait more for the right buyer. I checked with Tesla - they could take it for trade-in, but offered quite low price. Then I was contacted by a local dealer of the used luxury cars - they suggested to bring my GT-R to them for a possible trade-in appraisal, and check what they had available in their showroom. They did have several Teslas, including some P models. I test drove P90D, which was available, they offered pretty good deal on my GT-R, and that was it. In a couple days, I became an owner of red 2015 Tesla Model S P90DL. :)

tesla_model_s_p90d_04_1280.jpg

By the way, I saw questions about transferring the ownership of a used Tesla, which was bought not from Tesla, to a new owner, and had this question myself, so will confirm once again based on my own experience. The process is simple: just provide Tesla with your information and registration documents, and they will easily do this. I just visited our local Tesla service center, showed them insurance and registration papers, and already the next day (which was Saturday, BTW!) I received an email that the car has been transferred to my Tesla account.

Welcome to the family :)

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. That red looks stunning!
Thank you!
My wife loves red - we had 4 red cars in our family for the last 18 years. :)
And I agree too - red does look stunning. My only concern is that it might be a cop-magnet, especially as my driving style usually is a bit too "enthusiastic", and this is the "P" model, which doesn't help. ;)
One consideration about red was that the tan leather interior with tan headliner works very well with red. There was another P90D I was considering - also with tan seats, but white car with black headliner, and tan there was a bit out of place.

I've been the Model 3 reservation holder since the beginning of April 2016, was eagerly waiting for the dual motor, and possibly Performance version. About a month ago, when it was getting closer to availability, I finally booked a Tesla test drive. Yes, I never drove Tesla before, was only a passenger a couple times. The main reason was: if I'd like Tesla very much (and it's an extremely high probability), I wouldn't be enjoing my existing car (which was GT-R, and it would be stupid not enjoying it), would sell it, re-mortgage my house, and buy Tesla. :)

So, I booked a Model S, came for a test drive, and the Tesla representative brought us to a P100D. That was a huge mistake! My plan was to try 100D, because in terms of performance that would be closer to a regular Model 3. No doubt, I wanted to try P100D, but... see above. :)

Anyway, of course I tried the Ludicrous mode. Of course I compared it to Standard, and of course I noticed the difference, and just confirmed what I already expected: only a Performance model would be a proper replacement for the Godzilla. I also compared Model S to Model 3, which they had on display, and my doubts grew even more - the 3 is undeniably very simplistic in terms of interior and controls - even compared to the S, which in its turn is already "simpler" than most conventional cars, especially those on the expensive side.

So, when I got an email from Tesla about Model 3 Dual Motor being available for order, I hesitated. I wasn't sure anymore! I also couldn't sell my GT-R by then - it's not a cheap car, and the market is very limited, I had to wait more for the right buyer. I checked with Tesla - they could take it for trade-in, but offered quite low price. Then I was contacted by a local dealer of the used luxury cars - they suggested to bring my GT-R to them for a possible trade-in appraisal, and check what they had available in their showroom. They did have several Teslas, including some P models. I test drove P90D, which was available, they offered pretty good deal on my GT-R, and that was it. In a couple days, I became an owner of red 2015 Tesla Model S P90DL. :)

View attachment 315977
Congrats!

What a beauty! :cool: from Godzilla to Tezilla? :p

What's your Pros and Cons since these two cars are within similar price range?

Congrats!

What a beauty! :cool: from Godzilla to Tezilla? :p
Exactly! :D

What's your Pros and Cons since these two cars are within similar price range?
Well, though close performance-wise, they are obviously very different. Model S is definitely larger and heavier, even compared to 1700+kg (3800+lbs) GT-R. Tesla just feels bigger, well, because it is. :) In Standard mode Tesla is a bit slow for me. It's still quick compared to many other cars, but a bit hesitant on an instant acceleration, so Godzilla wins in that case. Ludicrous is a different story. In this mode the big and heavy Tesla is a proper contender, at least in terms of acceleration. It corners pretty well too, but it's not a sports car, mostly because of its weight and size, and won't last on a track. It's quick for sure though - I'd say that is about on par with GT-R, but there is a small detail. For Nissan, or any fast ICE car to have all torque available for acceleration, it needs to be in a proper gear. When I was planning a quick passing maneuver, for example - I had to downshift in advance. Even though GT-R has quick dual-clutch transmission, the computer still needs some time to make sure I want to accelerate, before it actually downshifts. It's better in R mode, but then it also holds lower gears longer, which I don't like in regular commute, when not on a track. So I frequently was driving in Manual mode to have full control and full power when wanted. With Tesla, of course, no worries about that - full power is available at any moment: just push the accelerator. My left hand periodically still looks for a paddle to downshift, but I guess soon that will pass. :)

And obviously, being able to fill up a powerful car for free (or just for cents) is a nice addition, especially with the gas prices recently reaching ridiculous levels here in Vancouver.

One more thing: GT-R was my fun/commuter car. It's just a two-seater (well, maybe 2.5-3, but not 4 for sure - as I'm tall, the seat behind me couldn't be used by people). Model S is our new family car, which replaces an SUV. I just checked the space in the trunk last weekend: we decided to learn to golf, I got two cheap used club sets, and had no problem fitting them in the trunk - together with a cart and a bunch of other stuff! On my way home I also got some groceries, and used the frunk as well. ;)

• Love
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Good luck with the Tesla and enjoy it in good health!
Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying it. :D

It's funny, how an electric car makes you think differently. I had to go for 75km round-trip just to pick up some small item. With a gas-hungry car (that also uses Premium gas) I would actually have second thoughts about that: such a trip would cost me around $20. It's not much of course, but I'd think - is it worth it? With electric - no question about that: it's just a couple bucks, if I'll be charging at home, or even free with the chargers available around.

The same is with just driving around. I wasn't always feeling fully comfortable commuting just alone in a car, that gulps 16-18 liters of gas per 100km (that's 13-14 MPG), or in a 7-seat 2-ton SUV. That's a waste, and from time to time somewhere deep inside I was feeling a bit guilty. Now with Tesla, which is also large, and weighs even more, that guilt is gone! Isn't this great that it makes us feel a bit happier? :p

Both the S and the GT-R are awesome in their own ways, it looks like you went from one win to another win - congrats!
I had a 300zx TT back in the day, and have always wanted a GT-R or an imported Skyline.
Those times are past now though, I am beyond ICE for good hopefully.

Both the S and the GT-R are awesome in their own ways, it looks like you went from one win to another win - congrats!
Thanks!
Yes, GT-R is awesome... for an ICE car ;)
I actually felt like I reached the top with it. No other conventional cars were interesting for me anymore. Well, of course there are things like McLaren, but that's a different league - I consider those like pieces of art, which you just look at. :D

So, my only choice was to jump to the next level, and here I am. :)

I had a 300zx TT back in the day, and have always wanted a GT-R or an imported Skyline.
Those times are past now though, I am beyond ICE for good hopefully.
Yeah. Sometimes I even feel a bit sad. There were so many interesting cars, which I didn't have a chance to have (300zx is one of them, BTW- always liked it). For example, I've never had a V8, and now looks like I'll never have...
:(, but :p

I also compared Model S to Model 3, which they had on display, and my doubts grew even more - the 3 is undeniably very simplistic in terms of interior and controls - even compared to the S, which in its turn is already "simpler" than most conventional cars, especially those on the expensive side.

I'm in a sort of similar dilemma. I'm currently leasing a P90DL, and have an order in for a model 3 performance. I'm a little concerned I'm going to be disappointed - not so much in the performance: I think my P90DL is probably one of the ~3s to 60 cars rather than the 2.8 or less or whatever battery version was more powerful, so that shouldn't be all that much different.

But I've been in a model 3 for a couple short drives, and have been underwhelmed both times by the interior, ride, seats, etc. I'm not sure how much of that is the lower acceleration of the RWD 3, and how much of that is just the size of the car, suspension, etc.

I wouldn't likely get a P100D to replace it, but am considering a 75D....