Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations ($1000 down) will be accepted in Tesla stores....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions:

1) why make the public travel to a store to do what can be done online?
2) why are some of you anticipating long lines? Sure, some will queue up for low VIN numbers, I guess, but I haven't seen any indication that the 3 is intended to be a limited release model. What difference will it make if you place your deposit on Day 1 or Day 30?

Two questions:

1) why make the public travel to a store to do what can be done online?
2) why are some of you anticipating long lines? Sure, some will queue up for low VIN numbers, I guess, but I haven't seen any indication that the 3 is intended to be a limited release model. What difference will it make if you place your deposit on Day 1 or Day 30?

Some of us live close enough to stores (about 19 miles for me), that it's no big deal to go there.
Some of us support Tesla publicly, not just internally.
Some of us like to chat with other enthusiasts in person.
Some locations will have long lines. Just plain and simple.
The lower your Reservation #, the earlier you'll be offered a chance to submit purchase order. The earlier you submit your purchase order, the earlier your car will be delivered (Yes, I understand that production and delivery will be batched, but you still have to understand that there is some logic to this. Imagine if 300 people in your city order the exact same car [unlikely, but work with me here]... do you want to be number 5 to receive, or number 300?).

Some of us live close enough to stores (about 19 miles for me), that it's no big deal to go there.
Some of us support Tesla publicly, not just internally.
Some of us like to chat with other enthusiasts in person.
The lower your Reservation #, the earlier you'll be offered a chance to submit purchase order. The earlier you submit your purchase order, the earlier your car will be delivered (Yes, I understand that production and delivery will be batched, but you still have to understand that there is some logic to this. Imagine if 300 people in your city order the exact same car [unlikely, but work with me here]... do you want to be number 5 to receive, or number 300?).

Thanks for the answer. I get the enthusiasm aspect, but it seems a bit much to me to stand in line when you don't really have to. I mean, if the point is to create a social event, then rent out a conference center and have a gathering of the faithful. Setup a bunch of IPads and let them order away. But queueing up like they do at the Apple Store or GameStop strikes me as being a little juvenile. I'd be okay with number 300 (or more likely, 3,000).

Plain and simple? I don't think we'll really see "long lines" of people anywhere. By long lines, you're thinking like an iPhone launch? How many people are in your long lines? 100 people? 300 people?

I'd be surprised if there are more than 20 people "in line" waiting to make an M3 deposit (not counting enablers and friends, but actual deposits being made).

Plain and simple? I don't think we'll really see "long lines" of people anywhere. By long lines, you're thinking like an iPhone launch? How many people are in your long lines? 100 people? 300 people?

I'd be surprised if there are more than 20 people "in line" waiting to make an M3 deposit (not counting enablers and friends, but actual deposits being made).

You're talking about a company that had 25k+ people spend 5-40k to reserve an 80k+ vehicle for delivery three years into the future sight unseen.

I'd be extremely surprised if hot EV areas would not have lines.

For me, it's just a short drive to the Tesla store, and I love being an early adopter. I'm going to arrive an hour early to my store just in case if they're doing reservations right at opening.

There will be lines, and there will be more deposits than most expect. Many who put down deposits will be trying to get the $7500 tax credit or a good portion of it. I expect there will be some who put down deposits with no intention of buying (artificially increase deposits to increase stock price). As long as you have a highly optioned car, you should make it close to the top of the list for delivery and thus obtaining the full $7500 tax credit.

There's no way to predict accurately if the tax credit will even be available when the M3 is eventually launched. If Tesla produces and sells slightly more MS/MX units between now and then, or if the M3 production cars are delayed even one quarter, that could mean 1/2 or no tax credit for M3 buyers.

- - - Updated - - -

I expect there will be some who put down deposits with no intention of buying (artificially increase deposits to increase stock price)..

These people don't need to wait in line for that, if that's their objective. They can reserve as many as they want the following day from the comfort of their couch.

We all have our own expectations. My expectation is that there is a bigger want and desire for the Model ≡ than any of us will guess today. The good news is that we'll know a lot more about the public's desire for this car come April 4th or 5th. (Just like the box-office, haha.)

I agree there is high demand for the M3. I just don't think that all of those people are going to show up at 12:01 to make a deposit on a car they won't see for at least 2 years. I think most people are going to wait for the reveal, see what the press says, wait for more info, photos, specs, reviews...and then decide if they want to make a deposit. Not all potential M3 buyers are frothing at the mouth like Apple fanbois waiting to get their hands on the latest iDevice. In fact, I think they are the minority of potential M3 buyers.

I agree there is high demand for the M3. I just don't think that all of those people are going to show up at 12:01 to make a deposit on a car they won't see for at least 2 years. I think most people are going to wait for the reveal, see what the press says, wait for more info, photos, specs, reviews...and then decide if they want to make a deposit. Not all potential M3 buyers are frothing at the mouth like Apple fanbois waiting to get their hands on the latest iDevice. In fact, I think they are the minority of potential M3 buyers.

I agree with this completely.

However I would still take the "over" bet on the line you set of 20 people max on line at any store waiting to make a deposit. (I know you didn't really set a line. So I guess I'm saying I think you'll be surprised.)

Yes, it's not going to be like an iPhone release day. But I think there will be some fairly significant lines in some places, and in all likelihood it'll make the mainstream news.