Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations are non-transferable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
Thanks for reaching out. Just wanted to follow up on your inquiry regarding the Model 3 Reservations. Definitely understand your concern and we appreciate the support you have for us. The reservations are non-transferable and we wouldn’t be able to put the reservation under someone else’s name. Moving forward, we thank you for the feedback you have given and it will help us improve our customer experience. We look forward to delivering your Model 3 as soon as possible! Let me know if you have any further questions, I’d be happy to assist.

Best,

Gimo Tolentino I North American Inside Sales Advisor
Fremont, CA 94538

Yep. Tesla has never allowed reservation transfers.
I see reservations being offered on eBay. As I understand, the reservation holder can do the configuration and make the second deposit, then assign ownership to another person who would be responsible for the rest of the cost of the car. This should have the effect of assigning the tax credit to new buyer as well as getting the car delivered to the new buyer with only one sales tax being charged. The original reservation owner would have both deposits ($3.5k) invested and presumably recoverable from the buyer. Comments solicited.

Soliciting comments from passionate Tesla fans that may affect their tax credit status is probably not going to get you unbiased answers. You'll probably get a lot of the canned 'no transfers and tax credit is only for the reserver' responses -- which may be true, but to truly find out, you'll either need a lawyer, or to roll the dice and see if the US gov't cares. :p

I wanted to transfer to my father in law and was told no..it seems from the gg's post, that they may be a little more understanding if you buy a model S.

I see reservations being offered on eBay. As I understand, the reservation holder can do the configuration and make the second deposit, then assign ownership to another person who would be responsible for the rest of the cost of the car. This should have the effect of assigning the tax credit to new buyer as well as getting the car delivered to the new buyer with only one sales tax being charged. The original reservation owner would have both deposits ($3.5k) invested and presumably recoverable from the buyer. Comments solicited.

Soliciting comments from passionate Tesla fans that may affect their tax credit status is probably not going to get you unbiased answers. You'll probably get a lot of the canned 'no transfers and tax credit is only for the reserver' responses -- which may be true, but to truly find out, you'll either need a lawyer, or to roll the dice and see if the US gov't cares. :p

I wanted to transfer to my father in law and was told no..it seems from the gg's post, that they may be a little more understanding if you buy a model S.
They won't transfer reservations, but you can have it titled /registered in a family member's name and transfer it to their Tesla account after the sale.

They won't transfer reservations, but you can have it titled /registered in a family member's name and transfer it to their Tesla account after the sale.
Yep. I confirmed this when placing a reservation. I placed the reservation in my name (since I already have an S) but the car will be for my wife. I don't know what the limitations are but there appears to be no problem registering to a spouse.

And how does that affect tax credit status? Do I apply for it and pass on to them? Does it make the vehicle ineligible?
No, the car is registered & titled in your family member's name. They are the first owner. The sale just happens under the same account as the non-transferrable reservation. After the sale, you can ask Tesla to move the vehicle from your account to your family member's account.

• Informative
Reactions: Nosken

I believe both the original reserver and the person to whom the car is being registered have to both be present at delivery, and you need to lie to Tesla that you are family members (unless you actually are, in which case there's no problem).