Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations in store in HK on 31 March?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that reservations will be dependent on west coast time zone so even those on the US east coast will have to wait a 3hr time difference for Tesla stores in California to open first.

Given the track record that we've had with S and X, Tesla HK seems to operate on a schedule that is behind the US (whether it be website updates, incentive programs, and of course vehicle deliveries). I'm sure there's a host of valid reasons why that is.

But even if we got to reserve model3 in the same week as those in the US, the production line is prioritized for left hand drive first. Even working at their fastest pace you would need to give Tesla something like 6months time to satisfy a bit of the LHD backorders first before they attend to international orders.

So the only ones we would be competing with for early Model 3 would be those of us within HK.

In the US, the priority reserve list for employees has just started. Current model S/X owners will be able to reserve soon, before the list opens to general public.

But as Fequals mentioned above, it'll be a long time before they kick RHD versions into production. Luckily for us, the same reserve arrangement may be used and we get priority in reservation. My mum's fallen in love with my car but I can't afford to buy her a model S, but a model 3 at under HKD 300k is doable...

<300K? Maybe on a second hand mod3 2-3yrs old.

I'm thinking a base model 3 should start at 400-450K.
That would put it at a very competitive price vs. the entry european sedans.

its kinda hard to quote a source since Elon speaks sometimes on twitter, sometimes via jornalist articles, and other times other channels. but I remember reading that he mentioned not to do price discrimination based on location. If my memory/ assumption isn't wrong, then that suggests USD 35k -> HKD 273k, i rounded it up with options to under HKD 300k.

some news papers quoted "tesla will sell electric cars at HKD 200k" but it seems more like an attention grabbing effort.

its kinda hard to quote a source since Elon speaks sometimes on twitter, sometimes via jornalist articles, and other times other channels. but I remember reading that he mentioned not to do price discrimination based on location. If my memory/ assumption isn't wrong, then that suggests USD 35k -> HKD 273k, i rounded it up with options to under HKD 300k.

some news papers quoted "tesla will sell electric cars at HKD 200k" but it seems more like an attention grabbing effort.

I would love to see the model 3 priced like that here but personally I feel that would be overly optimistic.
What we do know for a fact is that margins will be narrower on this car (vs. model S).

That said, it just wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint for Tesla to tolerate any further hits to margins as the cost doing business and shipping to HK will eat into profits.
If they did allow that, it would just mean they would have to sell that many more cars to do the same amount of business. Or from a different point of view, each car sold overseas would not be as worth while as selling in the US (which runs contrary to their plans to expand in Asia).

They know they can offer a competitive product a higher price point, there's no need for them to undercut ICE cars.

Model 3 reservation arrangements WORLD WIDE has just been announced and you can read the whole thing here:
Reserving your Model 3

quick points relevant to Hong Kong:

1. Reservation amount in HK will be HKD 10,000

Two ways to reserve possible
2.i. the quickest (earliest) being to physically visit a Tesla Store in HK and begin reservation at the shop opening time on 31st March 2016. (This is quicker as you'd "get a better spot in the queue" according to Tesla's official announcement)
2.ii. If you'd like to reserve online instead, the online queue is available for reservation from 8.30pm Pacific Time on 31st March, which is 11:30am on 1st April 2016 Hong Kong Time

3. Current Model S/ X customers get priority in the queue

4. Production begins late 2017 (Elon Time) so probably early Feb 2018 in earth time, and will focus on west coast US and move eastwards.

Reactions: garethmchau
i think the Tesla stores in the US offer a better spot becoz there's a time difference for store vs online reservation (store opens in the morning while online starts at 08:30 pm)

such difference may not be there for HK unless HK stores start to accept reservation on the afternoon of 31 Mar (corresponding to the shop opening time on 31 Mar morning in the US)

such difference may not be there for HK unless HK stores start to accept reservation on the afternoon of 31 Mar (corresponding to the shop opening time on 31 Mar morning in the US)

The announcement details suggest that reservation is available when HK stores open in the morning. Bear in mind that your order in HK is for RHD cars, so you're not directly "competing" with reservation orders in the US - therefore being able to order "12 hours ahead of US time" isn't an issue.

RHD cars will not start getting made under they have produced quite some LHD cars anyway.

i know it's US store vs US online and HK store vs HK online

but i did my maths wrongly (in the reverse direction) in my last reply...
08:30 pm 31 Mar (PT) should be 1 Apr (HK time), going to store should give you a better spot till morning on 1 Apr

image.jpeg

IMG_8232.JPG

It was a great event. I got there about 8:45am and was fifth in line. None of the people queuing immediately before or after me owned a Model S, which added to the excitement.

Doors opened at 10am. I went in, sat down with a representative who put an iPad in front of me running some reservation App. Put in your name, address, eMail, and how many Model 3 you want to reserve, hit the big red button, and you get the confirmation on screen. Just be sure to use the same eMail address as on your My Tesla account.

I got a Tesla T-Shirt, in a swag bag, for being one of the first 10. In and out, under four minutes.

Outside the store, checked my mail and the confirmation eMail was there waiting at 10:07am. A few clicks later, payment was made and final confirmation eMail was received at 10:12am. The whole process was very smooth, and the Model 3 reservation shows up in My Tesla next to my other cars.

I guess it will be slightly more complicated for those not already owning a Tesla, as they presumably have to create a My Tesla account first. They certainly were taking a lot longer than me to go through the process.

The event itself was really well run, and great fun. At 10am, about 70 people were queued up at the main TML Tesla store here. An hour later, there were still about 50 in the queue - people were arriving just as fast as they were getting through the reservation process.

IMG_8256.JPG
IMG_8219.JPG

Reactions: FequalsMA
I think the key reminder for those that queued at the store is that your place in the reservation line is not allocated until you put down your deposit. This wasn't made clear by the staff in the Pulse Tesla store who said we can arrange payment later. I suspect many would have been left with the impression that once you have registered and put in your email address you can take your time with payment. I prudently logged onto my email straight away when out of the store to put the deposit down hence got a final thank you confirmation email at 10.08am.