Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Resuming audio playback on USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Sure this has been covered on other posts but raising again anyway, is there any solution to usb audio not resuming when I re-enter the vehicle each time? Ive tried various devices from usb 2/3 sticks to portable hard drives, all my music loads fine but rarely resumes playback when I get back into the car. Frustrating this is, 10% of the time it does resume, thinking its sorted but alas not! Any other opinions/solutions appreciated.

If your car acts like my 2018 Model X. You can do what I do. When I open the door, I listen to see if the music is playing. If it is not playing (which is almost always the case), I close the door just long enough to see all the screens are dark. I then open the door again and virtually every time the music starts up right where it left off. I feel kind of stupid doing it, but it is the only work around I know of at this time.

I have always done all of this from outside the car. There have been a few times that I got in closed the door and realized the usb music was not playing so I get out of the car close the door and open it again and voila the music is playing.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: kelly and Avendit
Probably better than trying to re-find what you were listening to.

Is there any way to play a whole folder, or auto next album from usb? I'm used to the music just keeping going unless I choose to skip something and don't like having to activity choose every hour on a long drive.

I use folders too. For example my Folder for The Beatles has over 340 tracks. The only way I found to play the entire folder in the order I wanted was to put all the individual tracks in the same folder with no subfolders. Then I number the tracks within the title. If you do not number the tracks, they play in alphabetical order which I find useless. It took a lot of work to manually append numbers to the track titles, I have a over 3000 tracks on my usb drive, but for me it was worth it.

If your car acts like my 2018 Model X. You can do what I do. When I open the door, I listen to see if the music is playing. If it is not playing (which is almost always the case), I close the door just long enough to see all the screens are dark. I then open the door again and virtually every time the music starts up right where it left off. I feel kind of stupid doing it, but it is the only work around I know of at this time.

I have always done all of this from outside the car. There have been a few times that I got in closed the door and realized the usb music was not playing so I get out of the car close the door and open it again and voila the music is playing.
Yep, this works.

Im now also getting random loading errors on tracks that normally play fine, its all so hit and miss. So far, I have tried -

usb2/3 stick, usb 2/3 portable hd (all F32)
Reset screen, paused audio on exit each time.
Alternated usb ports

There is no pattern at all to usb not resuming or encountering loading errors so will put up with it until a fix is released.

Hmmm. Had a few track errors yesterday too. Skipping to next track send to work each time. I was assuming it was my ssd that is the problem tho, it was removed from a pc due to bad blocks. But if others are having probs too, possibly it's good (enough,for now).

yes skipping track to next then back again works. There is nothing wrong the track Im sure, as when you do this, it plays in full.
Completely hit and miss as I say, will just try and live with it for now.

I can't even get it to recognise they're is music on the storage...

Is there a trick to it?

Have you also got TeslaCam on same partition? If so, you may not have music on their now...

I put a pre used TeslaCam drive that I had been using an hour before on Win 10 and added an archive folder at same level at TeslaCam. After 15 seconds thinking about it, M3 said that it was in wrong format. I then checked to see contents on the same Win 10 machine that an hour before was reading/writing quite happily only to discover my archive folder had been deleted and contents in various TeslaCam folders had been randomly corrupted. Windows 10 then offered to fix it, and just made matters worse, turning folders into files. Had to reformat drive.

Along with the ongoing issues of USB audio, Im now getting this error on Spotify, anyone else experiencing the same?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
Issues here with USB files as well. Works most of the time... but quite prone to crashing mid song - needing me to rewind and start again.

I wondered about trying a different stick - but sounds like it is more a car issue than a drive issue?

The way it handles file structures is pretty useless as well.

Anyone know if formatting the drive to ext3, or maybe ext4, helps?

This is easy to do on a Linux box or Mac, but can also be done on a Windows machine with a free utility. The reason I'm asking is that the M3 runs on Linux, I believe, so ext3 should be better supported, perhaps.

Anyone know if formatting the drive to ext3, or maybe ext4, helps?

This is easy to do on a Linux box or Mac, but can also be done on a Windows machine with a free utility. The reason I'm asking is that the M3 runs on Linux, I believe, so ext3 should be better supported, perhaps.

Someone mentioned that they formatted their USB to ext4 and had much better success as far as resuming playback. I haven't attempted this but I could give it a shot. I'm mostly OSX/Windows at the house so would need to get creative to format the stick to ext4. Managing musing on it would also be a slight challenge.

Issues here with USB files as well. Works most of the time... but quite prone to crashing mid song - needing me to rewind and start again.

I wondered about trying a different stick - but sounds like it is more a car issue than a drive issue?

The way it handles file structures is pretty useless as well.

Certainly never had a crash mid song. Would be worth trying another drive. I use a SSD with 2 partitions for TeslaCam and Music.

It seems to me that it is simply a longer timeout that is needed before giving up resuming from USB.

It takes many seconds for the USB icon to appear on the screen after opening a sleeping car, and probably it is the unavailability of connected USB devices that causes it to give up resuming.
If the timeout had been longer than the USB detection time, I assume it would succeed in resuming.

Tesla, please help us with this very frustrating issue... could be a low hanging fruit!