Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reveal effect on other luxury car sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only that but there is zero methodological information. I know of no sound study. From the people in the queue I was in on the first day, and the vehicles they came in, I strongly suspect the 'survey' must have been carefully designed to choose the last likely people to choose a Tesla. That said, there is zero doubt that lots of Prius and Leaf owners made reservations. Prius at the outsell also had very high demographics, that gradually normalized after a year or two. It seem to me Model 3 will begin with unusually high demographics fro it's price pint, then gradually normalize of a couple of years also.

We'll know the truth of it within a year or so. Then we can come here again and debate the matter.

regardless we all know Tesla must have raised it's own QC, service and infrastructure by the proverbial "quantum leap" with Model 3. We just don't know how close they have come to that lofty goal.

NOTE: When the Prius was introduced which car model lost the most sales? It was the Lexus!
In Silicon Valley, for example, many had their commuter car (Lexus) and their week end sports car (Porsche).
Traded in Lexus for Prius. After all they spent more money on coffees than petrol, but for various reasons they wanted to do the green thing or get away from oil. This information was one of the reasons for Tesla secret strategy. They knew the buyers had money to spend and it wasn't about saving on fuel. Best car gets the best price. Hence Roadster and Model S/X.

NOTE: When the Prius was introduced which car model lost the most sales? It was the Lexus!
In Silicon Valley, for example, many had their commuter car (Lexus) and their week end sports car (Porsche).
Traded in Lexus for Prius. After all they spent more money on coffees than petrol, but for various reasons they wanted to do the green thing or get away from oil. This information was one of the reasons for Tesla secret strategy. They knew the buyers had money to spend and it wasn't about saving on fuel. Best car gets the best price. Hence Roadster and Model S/X.
Now that you mention that I remember other cases, very old ones. The Studebaker Avanti of 1960's did that. Wealthy people who would not be caught in a stodgy Studebaker bought Avanti, too late for them as a carmaker. Then the Ford Mustang did for many. The Mustang was like the Prius in that it was cheap enough for rich people to buy on a whim but cheap enough for the masses too.

Tesla has occupied an almost inaccessible niche, but with Model 3 they'll certainly have early Prius demographics. I think Model 3 will, like the BMW 3 series, hold on to unusually diverse demographics.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yeah, my parents are in that weird (to us) niche you guys are talking about. Except they currently don't have a "luxury" car. I guess the M3 is sort of replacing it? Their last luxury car was a MB E-class, which they bought on a whim like they do for pretty much all their cars.

They're in that giant group of people who just aren't into cars and don't do a ton of research. If a car has that one or two features important to them, they'll buy it and not bother comparing it to other cars. Basically, the "traditional" car buyer for dealerships who don't walk in knowing more than the sales guy.

Anyways, these sales charts aren't going to capture people like them because they're not "in" the market, but can jump in at any time. They don't fit any neat little demographic because like the wealthy Prius drivers, they can afford and will buy a car from $20,000 to $100,000. It's just way too broad a range.

In case anyone was thinking that I was not going to be following the upcoming crushing of the legacy ICE makers when the Model 3 starts steamrolling them, you were DEAD WRONG!

August...

2017_08%20Model%203_zpsicy4tdcp.jpg

The BMW 3 Series continues its ongoing glide path to zero sales in the U.S. Think I'm kidding? Here is an analyst picking up on the same concept:

BMW 3 Series business will 'go to zero' after Tesla Model 3, says Social Capital CEO

"In an hour-long appearance on CNBC's "Fast Money Halftime Report," Palihapitiya said the new auto model will outpace the comparable BMW 3 Series, saying "that entire business is going to go to zero."

"There is not a single person of right, sound mind and body, if you could build a Tesla Model 3 online and get it delivered in 30, 60, 90 days, or you have the choice of buying the BMW 3 Series will choose the BMW," he said"

RT

For those unclear on the concept, see the following:
0 - Wikipedia

The BMW 3 Series continues its ongoing glide path to zero sales in the U.S.

I'd like ICE car sales to go to zero next month - just like everyone else. But that is not the data is telling us.

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

All cars are down, CUVs are up. People are again shifting to larger vehicles as gas prices are low. All the below is just in top 20.

Camry down 7%, Malibu down 21%, Fusion down 27%, Corolla down 10%.

Rav4 up 16%, CR-V up 8%, Rogue up 20%, Equinox up 16%, Charokee up 17%, Highlander up 23%.

This past few months had a couple of hurricanes that flooded thousands of cars, so there are thousands of folks that are buying replacement cars. One could speculate if "availability" is dominant, or if EV or gas mileage dominates purchase decisions. But I suggest "steady state purchase decisions" have been altered by these storms, which may affect Rubber Toes tally. Not that the tally is wrong, just that the inertia of buying may have a bump in the data.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
My point was that Prius sales should include the Prime since it is (and should !) take sales away from the standard hybrid.

Agreed. But that still only takes yearly sales to about 88,000. Sad to see the Prius falling so far, from its leadership position, just because Toyota couldn't see that full BEV was the way to go. Someone there got a possibly fatal case of ideology.

Thank you kindly

Agreed. But that still only takes yearly sales to about 88,000. Sad to see the Prius falling so far, from its leadership position, just because Toyota couldn't see that full BEV was the way to go. Someone there got a possibly fatal case of ideology.
The full BEV has been a resounding commercial failure for every automotive company in the world except one company whose name starts with a T. As for the Prius family, it has always tied its fortunes to the price of fuel. So while sales have plummeted in the US, the world scene is much rosier. That is not an epitaph.

And since I am feeling argumentative, I'll point out that a no small part of Tesla's commercial success is related to sale of CARB credits ... that are used in the market to support gas guzzlers. So while you might view this as a transitory period to ignore, it is true that for now a measly, lousy 25 mile EV Prime Prius is probably the penultimate environmental choice.

Anyway, that is my view of a fair hearing for Toyota hybrids in general, and the Prime specifically.

The full BEV has been a resounding commercial failure for every automotive company in the world except one company whose name starts with a T.

You make it sound like this is a feature of the marketplace rather than the specific BEVs in question. Anyone looking at the Model 3 waiting list can see that pent up demand is present. It could even be argued that those BEV were resounding successes from the standpoint of the companies who made them. The CEO of Fiat said "Don't buy this car" and pretty much, people obliged.

Thank you kindly

Reactions: landis
You make it sound like this is a feature of the marketplace rather than the specific BEVs in question.
Think about what makes Tesla:

1. Lead by Elon Musk, perhaps the greatest scientific industrialist of the century
2. Willingness to bet the company on EV
3. Willingness to hock the company to build the Gigafactory
4. A company vision that makes friends of environmentalists and 'Performance/enthusiasts' alike
5. Holder of perhaps the strongest brand loyalty ... ever

... And it is still a gamble whether Tesla will succeed. I think they will, but the risk of failure is obvious. So yes, the EV marketplace outside of the Tesla galaxy is a market failure, at least for now. I frankly doubt there is much Toyota stockholder discontent over the slow and steady move towards electrification that Toyota is following. Now the romance with hydrogen cars is a different story. I wish they would stop.

Prime Sales 2017.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo