Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reveal effect on other luxury car sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are really interesting numbers ( I love spreadsheets).
Is there an easy figure you can include to show total market figures ? I.e all cars not by segments, just to compare the new cars market as a whole to eliminte the idea that's it's Telsa knocking down these figures. for all Iknow everyone is going out and buying honda Fits instead of 7 series, but the overall volume of sales units is the same, if not value ;-)

The reason... one thinkg I've been thinking - are most of those pre-orders by people who already have an elecrtic drive train of some sort? Either Hybrid, PHEV or a full EV (or i3 REX in my case). Otherwise why would you slap $£€1000 down on a car you've never driven. Maybe they are people that test drove a Model S at some point? I can see sales of other EVs taking a bashing as for a few thousand $/£/€ more you get a vehicle with much more usefulness than somethign with sub 100 mile EV range.

For the UK at least there's another wave of pre-orders due - once the configurators are up, final pricing is known and the lease companys can offer it. 50% of all new car sales in the UK are company car drivers on fleet leases. My brother is an example of probably half a dozen people I've talked to that want to get on the Telsa reservation list but can't until it's in their company's published car list for thier pay grade. Maybe not until later 2018 till he can even order :( He'll miss out big time if his current A4 Avant has to go back in early 2018 and he can't get on the M3 list.

Here is some interesting data on EV car sales in the US market...2016 is off to a record start. Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

upload_2016-4-24_15-57-31.png

upload_2016-4-24_15-57-17.png

Here is some interesting data on EV car sales in the US market...2016 is off to a record start. Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

Pretty much only because Tesla is off to a record start. Take out the spike in Model S deliveries and March is flat or down for the rest of the pack.

Tesla Model S is up 62% aka 162%, but significant is that it is the highest selling on the list.
Tesla Model X is a new entry but also a bigger seller than everything but the Model S.

Volt 2016 Mar vs 2015 Mar is triple aka 300%, very bullish vs prior year.
Fusion Energi is up 50% aka 150%, bullish vs prior year.

Cmax Energi is down 15% aka 85% of prior year, slight but noticeable drop.
Leaf 2016 Mar vs 2015 Mar is down 33% aka 66%, noticeably down vs prior year.
BMW i3 is down 66% aka 33% of prior year sales, very noticeably down vs prior year.
Fiat 500e is down 73% aka 27% of prior year sales, very noticeably down vs prior year.

everything else is too low a volume to matter.

2016-sales-chart-march-vfinal2-750x680.png

Last edited:
It will attract people in it's closest segment (mid-luxury) as well as people in less costly segments who normally would not pay that much for a car but will for a Tesla.

I'm someone who wouldn't normally pay this much for a car but will pay this much for a Tesla.

It's not because I can't afford a more expensive car (I made 6 figures last year, and live in a college town in the Midwest with a modest cost of living), it's just that I'm inclined to shop for value. There's a lot more value on the table in used cars between $5k-$20k than there is in new $35k-$150k cars. There are some good new cars between $15k-$25k, too.

Why the Model 3, then? I loved driving the EVs I've test driven. The Model 3 full of technology I want, which just isn't available on the used market. It's capabilities match my lifestyle without compromise (except for the lack of a hatchback). I'll pay double what I would for another car, since someone is *finally* building a car I really want, rather than just making minor refinements changes to the same old thing. And I really like getting an express ticket to the future, too. :)

Last edited:
Hmmn interesting.. i3 is the biggest hit... why would you spend 30k on a sub 100 mile range EV when next year you can get 200 miles. Cheaper Leaf is isolated somewhat. I'm looking forward to seeing the regional distribution of those 400k pre orders Telsa have, and I'd be quite happy if they send me a survey to answer what my current salary is, what I'm driving currently and what I normally spend on a car and whether that's new - as long as I get to see the summarised results. If I can find the time I might do one myself on SurveyMonkey. Prior to the i3 - I used to buy 1-3 years old cars still with manufactururers warrenty and keep them till 5-7 years old. Around £10-15k. LOL. Seems this EV bug is like some people get with V8s.

Reactions: Luke42
regional distribution of those 400k pre orders Telsa have, and I'd be quite happy if they send me a survey to answer what my current salary is, what I'm driving currently and what I normally spend on a car and whether that's new - as long as I get to see the summarised results.

I'm in!

I'd love to know more about my fellow Model 3 enthusiasts, and I'm willing to trade like information for it. :)

I suspect it's a far wider demographic than currently frequents the Tesla scene.

I'll start:
The most I've ever spent on a car is $21k, and I live in a college town in downstate Illinois. We made low 6 figures last year, and we probably will again this year.

I very much doubt people would hold off buying cars for 2 years.
And you can't say any drop in sales is due to Model 3 - it is probably more related to economic climate.

The only way you can conclude that Model 3 is taking sales away from other brand is to wait for sales numbers in 2018 and 2019.
A drop is sales in other brands in association of the rise in sales in Tesla would give you stronger evidence of Model 3 effect.
Bingo.

The first rule of doing any type of analysis is that correlation NEVER implies causation. Some experts have been predicting for a short while now that the luxury car market was going to soften. If anything, the huge demand we are seeing for luxury pickup trucks could be dinging the luxury car market more than the M3 is. Pickup trucks these days offer an impressive value for people who once would have never considered one. The amount of luxury you can get is amazing for the price point.

Flat,
The interesting thing is that another site (motorintelligence) that tracks all sales by manufacturer shows Tesla having 2,900 in April, versus the above showing 1,650. Thats quite a difference, as both track U.S. sales. As discussed more in the investors thread, the cars Tesla builds in the early part of the quarter are shipped out so as to be delivered by the end of the quarter. The cars built later in the quarter are for the U.S. market which get delivered sooner, hence the U.S. sales rise at the end of each quarter.

I would also note that the Prius dropped out of the top 20 cars as of this year. In 2015 it was the 20th best selling car in the U.S. I suspect a further drop, time will tell. I think a lot of the Prius faithful were standing in a long line on March 31st.

RT

I think a lot of the Prius faithful were standing in a long line on March 31st.

RT

Twelve years of Prius ownership qualifies my wife and I as "Prius faithful".

Don't get me wrong, the Prius is a fantastic car to own -- and I'm a big fan. But a car that will make the Prius obsolete is really exciting!

P.S. I ordered during the reveal. I was too busy with my startup to make the trip to Chicago to stand in line...!

Flat,

I would also note that the Prius dropped out of the top 20 cars as of this year. In 2015 it was the 20th best selling car in the U.S. I suspect a further drop, time will tell. I think a lot of the Prius faithful were standing in a long line on March 31st.

RT
Another Prius owner here, 2010 base model. Didn't reserve on 3/31, waited patiently to have an opportunity to discuss it with the wife in a reasonable manner {I was too hyped to discuss it sooner!}. Reserved and received my confirmation on 4/5 @ 8:55 CST. As I live in Alabama and will not be getting many options, I don't expect to be too early on the delivery list. I would like a piece of the tax credit though because the base price on a new 3 will be ~ 35% more money than I've ever spent on a new car or truck.

May numbers are now in:

May sales in general were down, but SUV's seemed to fare better. Those numbers can be seen in the Model X comparison sheet. Prius sales of the new model are down 21% in May from a year ago.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV