Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reveal effect on other luxury car sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think for this to be more meaningful, you should include Luxury Crossovers: Q3, Q5, GLA, GLC, GLE, X1, X3, X5...

I think you're just documenting one side of a larger market shift away from cars and toward crossovers.
Buyers will cross over segments, particularly from the top of a lower segment to the bottom of upper, but for meaningful comparisons cars should be included in only one segment. The MB GLx's are realistically competitors to the X, not 3? Same for Q5?

Here's @RubberToe's chart for that segment:

MX_09-16_zpscpt66vxb.jpg

This segment is growing. Largely due to buyers moving in from smaller x-overs or cars? Note that the X has already taken about 9% marketshare though and that's without even full production. Also note that while this segment has grown by 30,000 sales, the 3 segment has shrunk by 80,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuri_G and Red Sage
It's simply amazing that last month the Model X already outsold the other listed competitors except the X5, and it was fairly close there. I had no idea they were selling so well.

This is a little misleading since the Model X is still filling their backlog of orders along with new orders. A better gauge in how they are selling vs. other competitors will be to wait until all the back orders are completed.

This is a little misleading since the Model X is still filling their backlog of orders along with new orders. A better gauge in how they are selling vs. other competitors will be to wait until all the back orders are completed.
True enough, but...? That is exactly what was said by many when the Model S was outselling direct competitors in 2013. Mercedes-Benz managed to reclaim the #1 spot during 2014, after the S-Class came in second during 2013. But the Model S was still in second place, ahead of everyone else in 2014. In 2015 and ever since the Model S has led the segment among flagship vehicles. So the AUDI A8 L, BMW 7-Series, Jaguar XJ, Lexus LS, Maserati Quattroporte, and Porsche Panamera have all been soundly defeated for well over three years straight. It wasn't a 'phase' or a 'fad' with Model S, I doubt that Model X upward sales will be a short term trend either.

Reactions: EinSV
The Audi A4 seems to have a lot of mindshare and brand value around here. I can't imagine why -- they have a horrible repair record, thin paint, a crowded interior... but anyway, it's interesting to see that their sales are still holding up. I wonder when Model 3 will start cutting into their sales; probably not until it's actually available.

The A4 got a facelift this year, that could be it...

Audi's are total garbage after about 80k miles. I really don't know how the German brands still have such a good reputation honestly...

Reactions: Red Sage
And October is upon us. Note Prius sales down 43% from year ago levels in October :eek: The Toyota execs in their headquarters better be hoping that all those missing sales are due to buyers chomping at the bit to grab one of the newly upcoming Tesla Killing (based on 25 miles AER) Prius Primes. Plenty of time left to sharpen up the Seppuku knives before the next board meeting.

Other than that, we have the usual assortment of 9 figure red $ numbers in the last column ;)

And October is upon us. Note Prius sales down 43% from year ago levels in October :eek: The Toyota execs in their headquarters better be hoping that all those missing sales are due to buyers chomping at the bit to grab one of the newly upcoming Tesla Killing (based on 25 miles AER) Prius Primes. Plenty of time left to sharpen up the Seppuku knives before the next board meeting.

Other than that, we have the usual assortment of 9 figure red $ numbers in the last column ;)

Not sure what gas prices were at this time last year compared to now. I suspect they were much higher and people are now back to buying SUVs, crossovers, or pickup trucks.

Good data, thanks.

Overall, that list of competitor models has sold about 100k cars less for the year. Since Tesla has not made anywhere near that many cars and some fraction of Tesla owners are not part of that alternatives list, a lot more is going on to bring them down than just Tesla.

Reactions: Red Sage
Not sure what gas prices were at this time last year compared to now. I suspect they were much higher and people are now back to buying SUVs, crossovers, or pickup trucks.
Something tells me that if you check the sales for SUVs, and crossovers in this price range, for those marques...? They will be lower than last year as well. I know because someone mentioned a similar caveat before, and no -- the sales weren't going to other vehicles in the brand stable at all. If people are buying another vehicle type, it isn't from these brands. But yes, sales of the Honda CR-V are at record levels, and the Toyota RAV4 is not too far behind.

I prefer to believe that Toyota Prius sales are substantially down because the latest iteration is just plain Mother lovin' fugly beyond belief. The designers went just about five steps too far to make it even more weird looking than the Mirai. From the rear, it seems they sort of wanted to look like a space ship, but from the front they tried to make it look mean and edgy. The combination just makes it gawdawful yuckmouth nasty to behold. It's sales began to lag the instant the new design was revealed, and it's just continued through this year. So it seems this will be the first time in eleven years that the Prius has not sold at least 100,000 units in the US.

AUDI A4 has seen consistent improvement, but not particularly substantial. It seems people really wanted to get the newer headlight design and prefer it to the older version. Still, it is very telling that even with the refresh, A4 sales are still nowhere near as good as greatly diminished BMW 3-Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class totals thus far this year. The C-Class in particular is nearly 13% lower YTD over 2015, and still leads the class of vehicles. Further, the perennial leader of the class, BMW 3-Series, still maintains second place despite having a severe drop of nigh 19% in popularity. I'm sure that it was the cries of 'independent franchised dealerships' that prompted the 'Don't Wait' campaign of anti-Tesla advertisements.

It is mighty strange that with all the losers, only three of them are not at double figure losses. At -1.59% the Infiniti Q50 is actually kind of OK. They just might be able to have a end-of-year surge and make it to a positive sales total compared to 2015. Mercedes-Benz now counts the CLS-Class as part of the E-Class totals for some reason. But that still only manages a -4.16% holding position (because NOBODY buys the CLS-Class). Maybe that's why I seem to see E-Class commercials whenever I watch primetime television now.

Reactions: JeffK
Sometimes you simply cannot tell a wrinkled piece of gray skin is actually an elephant unless you stand far enough away.

A car most people do not even know exists outsold most the cars on that list. It's a XT 5 (not XTS). It sells for $39-50k looks goofy, and is made by company with an evil reputation.

It sells 5,000 a month, gets so-so mileage at 26 hwy, and a mediocre 310 ponies.

I would not buy one on a bet. And it's one of the poorest sellers in it's market.

No matter how you select your lists, people DIDN'T STOP BUYING CARS. People changed the kind of car they buy.

Toyota people buy Camry's and Rav4's with close to 30,000 units each a month, not Priuses. Those 2 together outsell all the cars on the above list. Together they outpace all combined US Plug In sales by 5:1.