Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reveal effect on other luxury car sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stores have a wide mix of options and versions. I've only been to a store 2 or 3 times, but about half the cars were 75s. For test drives you can ask to drive the version you are considering, they have P, 100Ds, and 75Ds for the test drives, though now that the performance of the 75s are the same as the 100D, they may have fewer of one or the other.

FWIW our store uses P100Ds for test drives, but they are running special firmware that allows you to pull up a menu and switch its driving behavior to that of any other model on the fly... which was pretty cool since on my 24 hr test drive I got to see how even models they don't make/sell any more compared to the current ones.

I've watched it all the way through twice. I rewatched the part on the caparison. He used the total cost of ownership figures from Edmonds for the Corolla and a BMW 328i and used their same formula for the Model 3. He did get a slightly higher TCO for the Model 3, but only around $600 more than the Corolla. That included expected depreciation over 5 years of ownership. The TCO for the Corolla was $25,528 and the Model 3 $26,100.

That seems pretty sketchy math on the corolla...he's citing Edmunds a lot in the video... Edmunds pegs 5 year depreciation on the Corolla at 46%... they have no info on the Model 3 of course, but for the S they put it at 53%...

Edmunds also uses an insanely nonsense # for maintenance on the corolla (over $3000- despite there being no required maintenance in 5 years other than oil, filter, and brake fluid changes)

A more realistic comparison over 5 years (using S depreciation rate, and cost of the actual needed maintenance on both cars) puts the Corolla more like $5000-$10,000 cheaper, not $600...and that's depending on how many generous assumptions in Teslas favor (that maintenance/repairs is half what it is on an S, that you pay cash, and that you pay the same insurance on the Corolla as the Tesla) you wish to make - I can show the math if anybody actually cares)

The BMW was $45,630.

Yeah- bit of cheating using the BMW- depreciation and repairs are awful there.

Use a Lexus IS instead. Mine is 10 years old now- at 5 it was still worth about 67% of what I paid for it new. (and FWIW unlike a typical BMW, my total cost for repairs in 10 years has been $0.00)- so TCO for me was probably at least 2k less than his estimate on the Model 3.

Don't get me wrong, given the choice I'm still buying a new Model 3 over a new IS- but that's in part because Lexus actually managed to make the car worse in the current gen than my 10 year old one....and in part because I have a longer, more highway, drive to/from work than when I bought the Lexus and AP is going to make that drive way nicer.

I think that is pretty reasonable, but the 25% and 50% credits will be around for a while.
And some states offer ~ $2500 tax credit (Colorado offers $5k)

So Tesla will be offer the base model for $30k to a large swath of people.
Fuel savings over 200k miles for PV owners amount to around $10k

Surprising to many, the Model 3 is affordable to those still capable of arithmetic

Sure- if you get yours early enough, and/or your state does extra incentives....and you drive 200,000 miles in the car.... which I agree will be a decent # of people, but nowhere near a majority of em.

The average american only keeps a car a bit over 6 years... which is more like 60,000-90,000 miles depending on which "average miles drives a year" number you go with...

Once again to be clear, the 3 is a nice alternative to a base model BMW, math-wise... or even higher end ones. I think it serves as one to say a Camry or Accord, or a ton of other cars in the 25k and up price range as well... But I'm not convinced that folks in the financial position that they're looking at the base model corolla are going to have a terribly high conversion rate to the 35k Model 3, nor seeing the math supporting that...

It's all about representing EV as they they truly are, and not to hype potential new EV buyers with unrealistic expectations.

There are lots of advantages of EVs over ICE powertrains. However, thinking that cost is one of them is not a normal situation. Perhaps if you get an off-lease 500e or Leaf at a steal, then you will actually save money in most areas of the country. However, you might not have the range required and need a second car for even local trips.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and hiroshiy
Agree with all of this, especially the bolded part. Most expensive car I ever previously bought was a 2013 Prius. Model S/X were out of my price range. The Model 3 was (almost) in my price range, and I pulled the trigger anyway. For every person who can afford a Model S, there are 10+ who can afford a Model 3 or want to think they could, hence the 500,000 reservations. And with the solar powering the car, there is no fuel bill except for Supercharging while traveling.

When Tesla starts selling the $35,000 in 2019 at a profit, and everyone finally realizes that SOMEONE can do that, then everyone will be trying to play catch up to Tesla. Tesla has a 5 year year lead over everyone WRT mass production of both EVs and the charging infrastructure. And no one is ever going to catch them, no matter how much money they throw at the problem. Tesla will still be 5 years ahead, because Tesla will not be standing still waiting for others to catch up. And Tesla will soon have the money rolling in to bankroll all of their expansion plans.

RT
Oh please, don’t be that hardcore fanboy. Tesla do have an advantage of mass production of EVs but saying that they will continue to have a 5 year advantage is just wrong. If that’s the case Tesla will be 87 years after BMW in everything about cars except what special about EV. Will it take 80 years until we see every Tesla going of the assembly line with so small panel gaps that BMW have today? How many decades will it take for Tesla to implement HUD, massage chairs, led matrix light? According to you Tesla’s crash result for there cars must be wrong, they can’t be better then a BMW built in the 1930s.

I do agree that with the Gigafactory they do have a big advantage of building a lot of EV but then you start to come up in numbers the difference matters less. If Tesla had maid 200 000 EVs and BMW has maid 20 000 I would say Tesla had a great advantage but then Tesla have make 10 million and BMW 7 million it won’t matter.

Oh please, don’t be that hardcore fanboy. Tesla do have an advantage of mass production of EVs but saying that they will continue to have a 5 year advantage is just wrong.

Oh please, don't be that hardcore Euro fanboi.

The difference is Tesla WANTS to be build the highest quality glyders in the industry.

BMW does not WANT to build the BEST MASS PRODUCED BEVS in the industry.

BMW's BEV team left for Byton Chinese BEV startup in frustration two years ago.

Legacy automakers want to make tiny amounts of BEVs and have a slow transition away from ICEv to BEV giving them time to retire human and capital ICE assets over decades.

Oh please, don't be that hardcore Euro fanboi.

The difference is Tesla WANTS to be build the highest quality glyders in the industry.

BMW does not WANT to build the BEST MASS PRODUCED BEVS in the industry.

BMW's BEV team left for Byton Chinese BEV startup in frustration two years ago.

Legacy automakers want to make tiny amounts of BEVs and have a slow transition away from ICEv to BEV giving them time to retire human and capital ICE assets over decades.
Hardcore euro fanboy? I’m a Tesla investor and have followed Tesla closely since 2013. Volkswagen will invest as mush money into battery that Tesla hole market value. Now the 150 GWh per year maybe is less then what Tesla will produce by 2025. Tesla do have an advantage then it comes to battery spec and amount and will therefore have an advantage in the market but what I react to was that Tesla will continue to have a five year advantage only because they was five years ahead of the competitors. Why wouldn’t Volkswagen and LG be able to adopt Tesla’s battery technology but Tesla can adopt there and other manufacturers knowledge about car safety and other areas?

Volkswagen Battery Order To Nearly Match Tesla's Entire Market Value

Hardcore euro fanboy? I’m a Tesla investor and have followed Tesla closely since 2013. Volkswagen will invest as mush money into battery that Tesla hole market value. Now the 150 GWh per year maybe is less then what Tesla will produce by 2025. Tesla do have an advantage then it comes to battery spec and amount and will therefore have an advantage in the market but what I react to was that Tesla will continue to have a five year advantage only because they was five years ahead of the competitors. Why wouldn’t Volkswagen and LG be able to adopt Tesla’s battery technology but Tesla can adopt there and other manufacturers knowledge about car safety and other areas?

Yes Euro fanboi.

VW will buy enough battery cells to meet their Chinese NEV obligations and to meet European CO2 obligations. Not much more. PR propaganda out of regulatory necessity. Green Washing.

I expect another announcement if the they decide to build BEVs in Tennessee to meet CA and Quebec ZEV obligations. More likely they import those cars from China.

Not investing much into manufacturing batteries and R&D. Not even as much as the much smaller Tesla.

Tesla will have at least 4 GF producing 150 GWh per year by 2025.

I don't know what you don't understand about WANTING. Legacy automakers don't want to make a BEV that is an equal or better value proposition than Tesla. Because it kills their ICE business.

Tesla innovates faster than Detroit or Europe. Tesla is also more risk tolerant, it is willing to live on the technological edge. No standing still. European companies are much more risk averse. EV battery tech has more room for innovation that glyders that have been produced for over 100 years. And information on this tech is more widely dispersed.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Volkswagen will invest as mush money into battery that Tesla hole market value.
Better read that link again.
VW is not investing anything; they signed some sort of purchase option to guarantee a supply of battery and EV tech over a decade. The eye-popping numbers are 1, a decade from now; 2, not an obligation; and 3, not an actual price.

Conclusion: we know very, very little.

Last edited:
Oh please, don’t be that hardcore fanboy...

Tesla do have an advantage of mass production of EVs but saying that they will continue to have a 5 year advantage is just wrong.

On The Fifth Anniversary Of Kodak's Bankruptcy, How Can Large Companies Sustain Innovation?

Quoting from the linked article:

"In traditional MBA programs, strategy was often taught as a company’s coordinated efforts to use its core competencies to gain a competitive advantage. A company was considered to have succeeded when it had implemented a strategy that its competitors found too hard or too costly to imitate. Managers were then expected to invest enormous resources to protect this competitive advantage. Such a view of strategy partly explains Kodak’s decision to shelve the digital camera. At the time, its core competitive advantage was its cash cow photographic film business.

Viewing strategy as gaining and protecting a competitive advantage works in business environments that have long term stability. However, such environments no longer exist. The rapid pace of technological advancement has changed the dynamics in most industries. Most companies now need to develop the ability to respond to change quickly. This is difficult because the management practices that are needed to protect competitive advantages run counter to those that are need for innovation.

Leaders in every large company need to change their approach to strategy. Strategy can no longer be defined as the singular exploitation of core competencies to maximize gains. We now need ambidextrous organizations and leaders. Strategic innovation management is the ability of a company to compete in mature markets with mature technologies; while simultaneously exploring new markets with new technologies.
"

The legacy automakers cannot do what you see bolded above. Tesla released the Model S in 2012. That is going on 6 years ago now. Lets count up the number of car companies that currently manufacture a 300 mile range EV. <crickets>

Tesla is doing the second bolded thing: Exploring the new EV market with innovative technology. Lowering the cost of batteries with the Gigafactory. Improving the motors, improving and expanding the Supercharger network.

Sure, VW can throw a bunch of money and try to "duplicate" what Tesla has done. Build a Supercharger network, and start mass producing 300 mile range EV's. That will take them 5 years. What you don't seem to get is that Tesla isn't going to be sitting around for 5 years waiting for the other guys to "catch up". They are going to release the Semi, then the Roadster 2.0, etc. Legacy automakers may have finally realized that they need to "catch up" to Tesla. But they need to follow the same learning curve that Tesla is following WRT mass production of EVs. Tesla will be able to bring the costs down faster than they can because they are 5 years down the curve. Tesla will be making more money selling each car because they will have driven the battery cost down faster than others could, and will keep doing so going forward. Tesla will be more profitable because of this, and legacy automakers are going to start losing significant sales to Tesla in whatever market Tesla enters. So the BMWs of the world will be watching profits sinking while at the same time trying to ramp up: battery mass production, EV mass production, Supercharger network mass production.

The folks over at Arianespace building the Ariane 6 STILL haven't figured out that expendable rockets are last centuries technology. Even after watching SpaceX land 25 first stage boosters. This is what happens when you mix in a good dose of government input with a legacy rocket builder. Nobody is going to be buying this rocket except the governments that are building them...

Ariane 6 - Wikipedia

RT

Yes Euro fanboi.

VW will buy enough battery cells to meet their Chinese NEV obligations and to meet European CO2 obligations. Not much more. PR propaganda out of regulatory necessity. Green Washing.

I expect another announcement if the they decide to build BEVs in Tennessee to meet CA and Quebec ZEV obligations. More likely they import those cars from China.

Not investing much into manufacturing batteries and R&D. Not even as much as the much smaller Tesla.

Tesla will have at least 4 GF producing 150 GWh per year by 2025.

I don't know what you don't understand about WANTING. Legacy automakers don't want to make a BEV that is an equal or better value proposition than Tesla. Because it kills their ICE business.

Tesla innovates faster than Detroit or Europe. Tesla is also more risk tolerant, it is willing to live on the technological edge. No standing still. European companies are much more risk averse. EV battery tech has more room for innovation that glyders that have been produced for over 100 years. And information on this tech is more widely dispersed.
Did you read my comment?
I did say and think that Tesla have a great advantage of having there own Gigafactory and that there have more under way but I don’t see how they have to be 5 years infornt of there competitors for several years ahead only because they realise there EV five years before them. It was not until the end of 2016 that Tesla relished a car with more then 90 kWh battery and Audi will do the same later this year. How can the fact that Tesla have 85 and 90 kWh before prove that they where five years before the competitors? Audi will release eTron with 95 kWh battery later this year just two years after Tesla start selling cars with 100 kWh battery but still they are five years behind, how?

In the beginning of last year Tesla said that they would realise information about there coming 3-4 Gigafactories later in the year, now we are soon through half of 2018 and we haven’t still got information on a exact place for any of those. We will get information about one in China in the coming weeks(Elon Time) but the one in Europe that was supposed to be reviled last year we won’t get any information about until the end of the year or will it be next year?

There is advantage of having the development in house but there are also disadvantages. LG Chem have been working on batteries for over 50 years and now Volkswagen have choose to use them as partners as they believe they have the best batteries after there request. LG Chem is expanding there factories to meat the rising demand and maybe it won’t be enough and Tesla will have a great advantage or the will expand fast enough.
If it is like you and @RubberToe is saying that the only way to see if a company is really interested in a technology is that they are themself investing R&D into it that would mean Tesla isn’t so intrested in crash safety as I haven’t see any R&D from Tesla in brakes, airbags and tires. The fact that they are letting suppliers develop and manufacturer this equipment must mean that they are not interested or can it be that they do believe there suppliers have so much knowledge about this products that it’s best to let them produce the product?
Okay, batteries are more complicated and it’s something that is hard to get in large quantities now but letting a supplier develop and produce a product doesn’t mean that you are not interested in it.

FWIW our store uses P100Ds for test drives, but they are running special firmware that allows you to pull up a menu and switch its driving behavior to that of any other model on the fly... which was pretty cool since on my 24 hr test drive I got to see how even models they don't make/sell any more compared to the current ones.

That ability to "retune" was an easter egg added in the last year. Basically it allows any car to emulate any other car of the same model with less performance. I had forgotten about that. I guess most of the test drive cars are P100Ds now. When I test drove (in late 2015) there was a mix available.

I have suspected for a while that at least some of their demo/test drive cars are ones that were canceled orders. One time when I was in the store there was an S75D with something odd in the configuration, but at the moment I can't remember what it was.

That seems pretty sketchy math on the corolla...he's citing Edmunds a lot in the video... Edmunds pegs 5 year depreciation on the Corolla at 46%... they have no info on the Model 3 of course, but for the S they put it at 53%...

Edmunds also uses an insanely nonsense # for maintenance on the corolla (over $3000- despite there being no required maintenance in 5 years other than oil, filter, and brake fluid changes)

A more realistic comparison over 5 years (using S depreciation rate, and cost of the actual needed maintenance on both cars) puts the Corolla more like $5000-$10,000 cheaper, not $600...and that's depending on how many generous assumptions in Teslas favor (that maintenance/repairs is half what it is on an S, that you pay cash, and that you pay the same insurance on the Corolla as the Tesla) you wish to make - I can show the math if anybody actually cares)

A fair point. I think a fairer comparison would be a base Model 3 to a Toyota Camry or Corolla with as close to the same options as the base M3. For example I don't believe the base Toyotas come with power seats and the M3 does. I don't know much about Toyotas, I crossed them off my list early on when I was shopping because I couldn't get the seats back far enough for my legs.

Even if the M3 is only moderately competitive on cost of ownership, what you get with the car is worth it.

Yeah- bit of cheating using the BMW- depreciation and repairs are awful there.

Use a Lexus IS instead. Mine is 10 years old now- at 5 it was still worth about 67% of what I paid for it new. (and FWIW unlike a typical BMW, my total cost for repairs in 10 years has been $0.00)- so TCO for me was probably at least 2k less than his estimate on the Model 3.

Don't get me wrong, given the choice I'm still buying a new Model 3 over a new IS- but that's in part because Lexus actually managed to make the car worse in the current gen than my 10 year old one....and in part because I have a longer, more highway, drive to/from work than when I bought the Lexus and AP is going to make that drive way nicer.

I don't use AP very often, the car is too much fun to drive myself. However in stop and go traffic it's outstanding. I'm fortunate to work at home these days so I don't have to do the daily commute.

What is the path of the legacy automakers to reach scale ?

Step #1 secure enough batteries. Something very few are doing.

VW is being very cagey in their announcement, as most legacy automakers do. They only talk about what they will be doing by 2025 and not what they are doing in the long term. Reporters on these stories also seem to assume Tesla is going to stand still while the competition catches up. The Model S was introduced in 2012. That was 6 years ago. 2025 is 7 years from now. Even if Tesla dramatically slows down their pace of innovation (it's probably likely they will slow down some for logistical reasons, but their pace will probably be way above the industry average), they will likely be way beyond where VW plans to be by 2025 in that year.

Anybody can reverse engineer Tesla's battery tech and Tesla has made it pretty clear they aren't going to defend their patents (and they aren't patenting a lot of things they do now). But Tesla is always innovating. If VW or LG decides to copy Tesla's battery tech today, it will take them close to a year to bring it to production at which point Tesla might be on a better chemistry. And even if Tesla isn't on a better chemistry they need to ramp up factories to make as many cells at the same price point as Tesla and nobody is able to do that right now and nobody will be able to for a few years minimum.

It sounds like VW is planning to match Tesla's 2018-2019 capability by 2025. Even if they can match Tesla's 2020 capability by 2025, that puts them 5 years behind.

Yesterday we were listening to a pod cast which had an interview with Rick Wilson who is a former Republican strategist. He's recently pretty much left the fold. Anyway he was talking about why he likes free markets because the private sector can do things much better than the government. My SO and I had a discussion about it and there are many things the private sector can do more efficiently (maybe not as fairly to all, but that's a different discussion).

Ultimately what it boils down to is the larger the organization, the slower it is to change and get things done in general. Even the largest companies are smaller than the US government which makes them more nimble at doing things. But smaller companies are far more nimble than big ones. The smaller company is faced with a lack of resources larger organizations have, but give a smaller organization some kind of parity in resources and most smaller organizations will run circles around the bigger one.

The TV show Silicon Valley has been demonstrating that with the battle between Hooli and Pied Piper. Hooli has the resources of any giant corporation, but they keep bumbling because they have grown inefficient.

By 2025 Tesla will still likely be smaller than most of the rest of the legacy automakers. But even now they are getting big enough to compete head to head because they have developed the key capacity necessary to build EVs before anyone else. Legacy automakers have large supply chains with most parts developed and produced by third parties. The two things they have kept in house are engine development/production and final assembly. Tesla never developed a single ICE and has no need for that entire legacy operation.

Instead Tesla had brought a lot of tech most companies farm out in house. They also did everything possible to streamline battery production, way beyond what anyone else has done to date.

Another things that makes a smaller organization more efficient is less internal political struggles. Every legacy automaker has advocates for ICE. Even though most managers at this point know that the ICE's future is limited, there are lots of hard core support for the ICE and that slows them down and causes them to waste resources preserving their ICE tech when Tesla is fully committed to one tech.

I also notice that VW article refers to VW having a large range of plug-ins by 2025. It doesn't say a wide range of BEVs. That's a critical detail most articles about legacy makers talks about. There will be some BEVs in the mix, but some PHEVs too. The legacy automakers are trying to keep the ICE alive as long as possible.

Step #1 secure enough batteries. Something very few are doing.
Easier said than done, and we haven't talked about price yet.

GM is a very good example. They agreed to an awesome price from LG (at the time) ... and now Tesla is way below that price point. The legacy manufacturers and 3rd party battery suppliers will play a chicken and egg dance of supply and demand for a long time; the suppliers will demand a price premium to build capacity, and additional middle-man profit will get added to the bill.

Those are the barriers to competition against Tesla, even ignoring Tesla gambling, accumulated expertise, and one Gigafactory in hand already. Nissan is a perfect example of the pickle legacy manufacturers are in: $30k - 35k USD for a 40 kWh crap battery in an econobox car. Without scale, that is the best they can do and not surprisingly, Tesla is crushing their efforts. I don't really see a path for any legacy to compete with Tesla on BEV.

Plug-ins are a different story and on paper can be very competitive. The Toyota Prius Prime is a perfect example. There is only one problem: plug-ins are their own worse enemy because people do want ICE after experiencing EV driving.

If I was so inclined, I would feel sorry for the legacy folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: T34ME and colettimj
My SO and I had a discussion about it and there are many things the private sector can do more efficiently (maybe not as fairly to all, but that's a different discussion).
Perhaps you are right to a certain extent, as long as the private sector behaves responsibly, but that premise certainly didn't apply to the banking industry and US legacy automakers (and tangentially to the housing finance industry) that required massive government bailouts to keep them solvent.

And Rick Wilson has been on the wrong side of every argument with regards to his track record. He is the "strike out king" of political pundits.

Perhaps you are right to a certain extent, as long as the private sector behaves responsibly, but that premise certainly didn't apply to the banking industry and US legacy automakers (and tangentially to the housing finance industry) that required massive government bailouts to keep them solvent.

And Rick Wilson has been on the wrong side of every argument with regards to his track record. He is the "strike out king" of political pundits.

Wilson has been fairly accurate predicting down ballot special elections. My SO follows him and I find him interesting because he's a conservative insider who has become very disillusioned with the Republicans. He just finished a book about what's going on in American politics and he admits it made him think hard about his political beliefs and he realized he's not really a Republican anymore. He's a social libertarian, fiscal conservative and that isn't the Republican party anymore.

As for regulation, some industries and professions do a decent job policing themselves. For example doctors and lawyers have ethics boards and will suspend or even kick out bad players. Most of the public isn't aware you can file a complaint with the bar if your attorney acts unethically, but most attorneys live in dread of getting a bar complaint.

Some industries and professions don't have good self regulating mechanisms and need to be regulated by the government. The Deep Water Horizon happened because the Bush administration stripped the government agency responsible for regulating the oil and gas industry and one greedy manager at BP caused the worst oil spill in history. The Bush administration also stripped the USDA's ability to inspect food processing plants and ever since food poisoning outbreaks have increased.

The 2008 financial crisis also happened because of a lack of regulation. Glass Stiegel put a lot of limitations on banks, but also kept them stable for 70 years. In the 90s the lobbyists won and a lot of those regulations were repealed which destabilized the entire world's economy.

The bail out of the car companies was a little different. GM and Chysler didn't fail and Ford hit the skids because of unethical business practices. In part they were making cars people didn't really want, and they were also burdened with some heavy fixed costs that were manageable when times were good, but when the public stopped buying cars, those costs ate their lunch fairly quickly.

The government had to bail them out because the government was the only entity big enough to do it. Especially when the rest of the financial climate was bad and the banks were barely holding on.

Government doesn't move fast, and it can be very slow to change. At the moment that's a good thing with the monkey wrench in the works of government right now. The old government institutions are able to keep going from momentum. Though the craziness will start to effect the economy and other things eventually. But that slowness is not well suited for competing in the marketplace and it's a good thing when governments stay out of directly running business. Regulating where appropriate and at appropriate levels is a good thing. Governments are best suited to do that when the industries aren't willing to police themselves.

SpaceX is an example where the government getting out of at least parts of the space business is a good thing. SpaceX has advanced rocketry 50 years in the last 10. Largely because Elon realized around 2005 that rocket tech hadn't advanced in close to 50 years. What was in use at the turn of the century was pretty much the same as what they were using in the 60s. The rockets were built by private companies, but to government specifications which were very outdated.

That's an example of a smaller, nimbler player with good ideas able to drastically out perform the big players.

The gap between Tesla and the rest of the car industry isn't quite as dramatic because the other players are companies and not governments, but the gap is still pretty big. I drastically upped my budget from around $30-$40K to closer to $100K when I learned about the Model S because from an engineering point of view the Model S really was that much better than anything else out there.

And what Tesla is selling today is better than what I bought 2 years ago. I've quipped from time the time the only thing better than an older Tesla is a newer one.

The 2008 financial crisis also happened because of a lack of regulation. Glass Stiegel put a lot of limitations on banks, but also kept them stable for 70 years. In the 90s the lobbyists won and a lot of those regulations were repealed which destabilized the entire world's economy.

The bail out of the car companies was a little different. GM and Chysler didn't fail and Ford hit the skids because of unethical business practices. In part they were making cars people didn't really want, and they were also burdened with some heavy fixed costs that were manageable when times were good, but when the public stopped buying cars, those costs ate their lunch fairly quickly.

The government had to bail them out because the government was the only entity big enough to do it. Especially when the rest of the financial climate was bad and the banks were barely holding on.

Urban myth. You saw what happened with your own eyes, you just didn't know where to look. Sometimes if you are too close to a problem, it looks normal. Were you a real estate investor or security trader?

The financial crisis that brought down GM started with the banks and investment firms making home loans without sufficient collateral. Much of it was fraudulent application information and false disclosures on packaged financial products. When they let greed alone determine financial planning, it caused an unsustainable banking system which collapsed like all Ponzi schemes do, taking down everything from large commercial bond filings, to entry level credit cards.

You have extreme housing prices, which reduces consumer's buying power, followed by a housing price collapse and credit crunch, and nobody had the money for cars.

2007 when this all started, US auto sales were 16 million. In under two years that number would fall to 10 million. I'm not sure how many companies survive that kind of hit in that short of time. Automakers with less pension investments, less invested in R&D, and less % of their total sales in the US market survived better, but barely. It is entirely plausible the global automotive industry could have effectively collapsed if GM shuttered their doors. Supply chains have been global since before this century started. A company the size of Toyota, VW, GM, or Ford shutting down, would cause thousands of vendors, many very large companies in their own right, to shutter their doors as well. And the 3rd tier would have stood no chance at all, the smaller businesses that make up most the jobs in the world.

But many second and third tier companies DID collapse and GM was not the only tier one casualty. This is why it escaladed to the level of a national crisis. Not to bail out a single company, but to bail out the middle class Americans who work hard and didn't deserved getting raped by greedy gamblers with no common sense, they were addicts who would kill their mother for a 'fix'.

GM was heavily invested in R&D at the time (4.5L/Volt/Hybrid/H2/Advance Mfr Tech, bleeding edge digital controls, etc), and had huge pension fund investment losses to support at the same time the consumers stopped buying cars. Note that 2009 was the year GM released it's two World Beaters, the 556HP luxury sedan that set a world record at the 'ring, and the Blue Devil, that even 10 years later is a competitive track car when all the other back then are crap now. It is notable that GMs financial products division did survive, but was split off.

The kinds of cars they were making before and after the collapse did not really change, except with the addition of the first true EREV in history, which even to this day while being the technological class leader never sold in significant numbers to make it anything more than an engineering project for future offshoots.

But American's landscape sure changed. We had housing tracts here with tumbleweeds growing in the streets for years. California's middle and lower class went in a tail spin. Public employee unions replaced the state government entirely.

We seriously overpaid for our house back then (we wanted a very specific location, and were willing to pay what it took), and have only recently have seen it's price begin to return to normal growth rates. Luckily our commercial building did the opposite. We bought it at under 1/3 the original sale price for a <4 year old building.

Some housing tracts in this area (and others) never fully recovered to this day. But we can buy cars if we need to. Which was not guaranteed in 2009.

Last edited:
fiscal conservative.........................
As for regulation, some industries and professions do a decent job policing themselves.
To get this back on topic (all things Tesla), I would not call Elon a "fiscal conservative" and of course neither did you. Sometimes, fiscal irresponsibility is the path to future success and Elon is demonstrating that. Sometimes deficit spending, whether it be the private sector or the government, is the wise and prudent strategy. It depends. What is brilliant about Elon is he has put the the horse (infrastructure - superchargers, gigafactory, robotic automation) before the cart (his cars) and profitability be damned. He has built a solid foundation for spectacular success by being fiscally progressive.

At some times in my life I have been a fiscal conservative while at other times a fiscal progressive. I have had both successes and failures with both philosophies, it depends. I can tell you this, the old adage, "nothing ventured, nothing gained' is true, at least in my case, and does not fit well with a fiscally conservative philosophy. It is easier for the private sector (Elon Musk) to be more of a chance taker and therefore more innovative by being fiscally progressive than the government can be.

Self regulation is admirable, when it works. Unfortunately, the bigger the industry and the higher the financial stakes, the less incentive for self regulation, take the oil industry for example. Elon and Tesla Motors is kind of in a self regulating no man's land right now. The implication for BEVs is huge for the future. The question of whether the government should give tax credit incentives for BEVs (as they do for ICE vehicles through oil industry subsides and tax breaks) is a questions that remains controversial. Apparently Elon thinks that incentives for BEV purchases should be eliminated and I assume he feels the same about ICE incentives. In addition, Elon is pushing the transition to FSD and government's roll in that transition is open to question. Is Elon, and the auto industry as a whole, more capable of regulating that technology or are government bureaucrats? As a former appointed member of a governmental regulatory agency, I can tell you that in my case, I am a firm believer that the primary purpose of government is to "protect the health, safety, and welfare" of the general public. The private sector does not have the incentive to do that since self preservation, often at whatever cost, is the primary factor.

Although I am a big fan of Elon, I worry that success will lead to overconfidence and increased arrogance - hubris - the feeling that he can do no wrong. His compulsive and addictive personality could lead to problems, both personally and fiscally, in the future. I will continue to scrutinize him and his ventures as the future unfolds before my eyes.

Here is an Elon's qoute: "There's a tremendous bias against taking risks. Everyone is trying to optimize their ass-covering."

The only reason that Elon could get where he is today is he's the only one who's willing to take tremendous risks.

Elon doesn't have to answer to shareholders.

The CEO with the biggest ballz? Mary Barra. They've tried to take her out too. She doesn't hold billions in GM stock. She serves the shareholder's pleasure alone.

She has most the engineering $ at GM focused on advanced propulsion, perhaps more than Tesla, who is focusing on manufacturing engineering, quality engineering, and market capitalization. GM just teamed up with Honda to create the jump in EV batteries. They will have AV cars on the road in private hands very soon.

None Mary's plans are favorable to the Board, the Unions, or even many the of shareholders. But they realize she's about the brightest auto CEO in history. She's worked in virtually all aspects of automotive production, procurement, engineering, and management. She's the Swiss Army Knife of auto CEOs.

And she claimed the future of autos is EVs back when she was still an electrical engineer. Back when Elon was into McLarens or Paypal.

Last edited: