Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Reveal Event Coverage (3/31/16) 8:30PM PST - Discussion/Pictures/Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun reading this thread retrospectively. A few comments based on our experience and some of the questions up thread:

• I sat in the front for the short test ride (the matte grey). Obviously trying to take everything in, and with it being dark wasn't easy, but the seat was comfortable. Identical seat controls to those on my (2013) Model S. Plenty of legroom.
  • It felt fast. Driver didn't hold back, certainly as quick as my S85. Tight handling on the turns.
  • It was dark, so couldn't really appreciate the roof, but everything up there felt very well finished. Headliner was black Antarctica. Cabin lights were cool, behind a black mesh that I assume visibly vanishes into the headliner when they're not lit.
  • Car was noisy over bumps, but aside from that, 'felt' like a production car. The matte grey was a dual-motor (confirmed by driver)
  • Like all the drivers, they confirmed that the center-mounted 15" screen is not conceptual - it's part of a thought-out design. It's been done before, so I'm sure it's legal, but it does take some getting used to. BUT, sure makes the LHD/RHD adaption easy to manufacture. I wonder how it would work in a crash test. It appeared to have a quite solid aluminium support arm holding it, so if a rear center passenger was launched at it, not sure how that would go. Regardless, they'll figure it out.
  • The screen had a UI, but there was no navigation done by the driver. Seems odd to me that they didn't retain the ratio of the S/X screens to avoid having two UI's.
  • Other interior bits were not finished. The center console had rings marked in the wood of where the cupholders would go, but that was it. The steering wheel was a strange little suede thing...they obviously have wheels in the parts bin, so this feels like an effort to show that the wheel will not have all the functions as the S or X, otherwise they would have just used one of those.
  • My wife was in the back - middle seat. Not such a great experience there. With three adults, it's cramped, just like any other car in this segment.
  • No autopilot hardware
  • The matte grey looks cool, but it really shows the fingerprints. The doors looked fairly gross by the time we got in it.

Overall, the interior definitely had that 'car of the future' feel about it. Very minimalist dash. If it stays, it's likely indicative of the priority placed on providing lots of interior space, because, some point soon, the steering wheel will mostly be an accessory, so why point all of the focus towards the driver.

The outside seems practically a done deal. Tight panel alignment, nothing sounding like a 'kit car' when doors were closed. Trunk, when open, was fully engineered on the underside, not just a shell. Maybe the nose will change a bit more, and the lights, and I'd be really surprised if any of the metal has any more material changes.

And finally, kudos to Tesla for finally running a solid event. Well organised, practically on time, and a good, non-rambling presentation. I love Elon for his rambles, but this was for a world stage, and it had to be sharp. It was.

appreciate your post Pete. Elon talked about the front seat position being more forward in the 3 than other cars. was this noticeable?

Words cannot explain how disappointed I am about the 3 not having a hatchback. Really Tesla?! You can't put one more cross beam in the back?

This was to be my only car. Trunks just don't work for me.

Edit:
Last night I was ear to ear. Still holding out hope that the production version will be a lift back. I am still excited about getting the car and will adapt to the trunk but man it was almost a royal flush for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: SebastianR
Words cannot explain how disappointed I am about the 3 not having a hatchback. Really Tesla?! You can't put one more cross beam in the back?

Edit:
Last night I was ear to ear. Still holding out hope that the production version will be a lift back. I am still excited about getting the car and will adapt to the trunk but man it was almost a royal flush for me.

Model Y is next

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
What size tires did the Model 3 have ? 19" as Model S ??
The close-up video Bjorn took of the red one seemed to be 20s (if I'm reading the sidewall correctly.)
I'd guess so. It was rather roomy back there, though I'm not particularly wide (I don't think). Definitely better headroom than that Model S for a relatively tall guy like me.
You and Pete both seemed in agreement on this, but looking at all the drive videos, everyone seems to be getting out rather awkwardly. Does it involve some gymnastics across the threshold and then good to go, or just folks enjoying the night and then thrown through a pair of acceleration moves?

My concern with the the protruding mounted screen is hitting my knees on it (being 6'3) I tend to have that issue with all my cars with my knees hitting the upper side console even with the deaf all the way back (was in the S too). I'd hope it would be flush mounted as I don't want my knee hitting the back of the thing if I ever pulled my leg back abruptly. You know like if a spider showed up and scares me. Hah

Reactions: ummgood

Edit:

I was surprised by this too and read Jalopnik's intense criticism, but the current design also looks like it could be easily modified to make good on Tesla's hints that there will be a convertible Model 3 in future years so a trunk and drop top, maybe even a hardtop could work in this current design...

Reactions: Model 3
appreciate your post Pete. Elon talked about the front seat position being more forward in the 3 than other cars. was this noticeable?
It wasn't really noticeable, i.e. it felt perfectly normal. From looking at the pics of the frunk, I'm wondering if the firewall it more shaped than the existing one on the S (which is more or less just straight up and down), so that there's more foot room allowing the seat to be further forward - kinda like what you see on bulkhead seats on a place. It makes sense (to me) to compromise some of the frunk space to make more space in the cabin.

Reactions: nd4spd569
My concern with the the protruding mounted screen is hitting my knees on it (being 6'3) I tend to have that issue with all my cars with my knees hitting the upper side console even with the deaf all the way back (was in the S too). I'd hope it would be flush mounted as I don't want my knee hitting the back of the thing if I ever pulled my leg back abruptly. You know like if a spider showed up and scares me. Hah
Based on the video of the test drive below, I don't think his knee is anywhere close to the screen.

Have no idea how tall the driver was there though.

im 6'4 so it's a concern here too.

Plus you'll be able to lower the seat.

If the model 3 had a hatchback there would be no need for a Y.
To me, that is like saying that because the S has a hatchback and can seat up to 7 there is no need for the X. I disagree. The X will sell well, and there is a market segment where it fits very nicely. There is also a clear market segment for a Model 3 CUV with a hatch even though it will still only seat 5, just like the Model 3 sedan.

Based on the video of the test drive below, I don't think his knee is anywhere close to the screen.

Have no idea how tall the driver was there though.

im 6'4 so it's a concern here too.

Plus you'll be able to lower the seat.

Looking at photos again. It seems high enough. Only issue with integrating it would be the dash would become much larger to come all the way out to the screen since it's closer to the driver/passenger so you can reach it.