Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reveal partial and not before end of March

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ma vie en Tesla la rencontre avec Elon Musk - YouTube starting about 12 mins in the video

Model 3 pictures, partial reveal end of March, details to dribble out closer to time of production.

Factory in China and Factory in Europe (not the one that is already present in netherlands). Need much more land and buildings for building 1,000,000 cars per year per factory?

Engineering, Design, and Production in Europe eventually. Not just Production, just a question of when.

Nothing earth shattering, but worth using as a data point for those that have unrealistic views of the coming reveal schedule and production schedule.

Why is anyone expecting this March reveal to be any different than the S or X? Show a prototype on stage away from the audience, then open the reservation book. Done.

Probably because the S and X reveals included far more than showing just prototypes on stage. Test rides don't count?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably because the S and X reveals included far more than showing just prototypes on stage. Test rides don't count?
Those are the production unveilings. If you go to the initial unveiling of the Model S/X, it was a concept car while there were significant changes to the production version.

People have been paraphrasing saying all they will show in March are pictures. However, this is very misleading.

The question asked was when we will see the first pictures of the Model 3. Elon said end of March and that they will not reveal all details until near production. The other articles I have read made it seem like all we will see on March are some pictures (and add in their interpretation), which is not what Elon is saying.

http://insideevs.com/elon-musk-march-model-3-unveiling-wont-reveal-all/

Last edited:
I'm referring to the prototype X unveiling back in early 2012. I expect to see a prototype 3 next month, not just pictures. But there won't be test drives, and the car will probably be up on the stage where no one can get close.

I thought it was pretty clear. Tesla will reveal the pre-production Model 3 just like they did with the Model S in 2009 and the Model X in 2012. You will see what it will look like and many of the basic features including range. Elon will possibly give out the specific pack size but even if he doesn't it will be pretty obvious from the range. The touchscreen interface will likely be shown for its size but not the exact way it will fit into the interior. That fits the S and X reveal too.

Reservations will open just after the event concludes with people at the reveal event getting a head start on everyone else.

I've predicted this on many occasions that Tesla will get 50K reservations within 24 hours.

Last edited:
Waiting_zps4pydyian.jpg

I agree but I remember everybody touching the car and sitting in it at the end of the unveiling.

We don't know yet what people will be able to do at the Model 3 unveiling. I agree if they just have some computer renderings rather than a physical prototype it will be a huge step backwards. But it's hard to believe that will be the case if they really think they can ship next year.

I'm referring to the prototype X unveiling back in early 2012. I expect to see a prototype 3 next month, not just pictures. But there won't be test drives, and the car will probably be up on the stage where no one can get close.

I agree but I remember everybody touching the car and sitting in it at the end of the unveiling.

Riding as well. Tesla gave out tickets and offered rides. I don't remember the very first S unveiling, but I did go to the NYC unveiling (I assume they did one on the west coast first), and they offered rides in the Roadster and Model S over at Chelsea Piers.

Since they are giving out VIP invites, I'd hope the unveiling will include seat time as well.

The question asked was when we will see the first pictures of the Model 3. Elon said end of March and that they will not reveal all details until near production.

I hope this is more to protect any edge they feel they have and not because they still haven't nailed down everything (and by everything, I mean the major stuff, not variables paint colors and pricing)

The question asked was when we will see the first pictures of the Model 3. Elon said end of March and that they will not reveal all details until near production. The other articles I have read made it seem like all we will see on March are some pictures (and add in their interpretation), which is not what Elon is saying.

You're right. The question asked was specifically about when we would see pictures, and he answered specifically about pictures. We shouldn't conclude that they'll only show pictures. That would easily be the most anticlimactic product reveal in history.

For sure they'll have a prototype to show.