Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reversing lights

Saoirse

Apr 3, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Can anyone with a model 3 confirm for me whether x2 or x1 of the white reversing lights should come on (when reversing)?
I’ve noticed only one of mine comes on- but online I’ve seen videos of x2 lighting up..

Saoirse

Apr 3, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Either way is fine- just thought it looked weird as you say.. I had a quick look online and saw a couple of videos where it looks like x2 reverse lights come on, may be old or US only.. so thought I’d ask..

strykeroz

May 27, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
I had a quick look online and saw a couple of videos where it looks like x2 reverse lights come on
I must have seen similar as I thought (incorrectly) I'd seen that on the road and that this is what happened after the foglights stopped being a thing on SR+. Only I find it's the front foglights that went away (or may still be there, disabled in software like my footwell lights that turn on to tease me when I unlock the car)

Flatbat

Nov 12, 2019
Melbourne
upload_2020-6-17_2-0-38.jpeg
There is a slightly different lighting configuration between North American and Rest of World model 3s. Reverse lights, fog lights and I think blinkers differ. This will explain the online videos showing two reverse lights. Will see if I can find the reference.

Found it. Here you go. SAE being North America and ECE being Europe and ROW. There are some regional sub variations as well. The single reverse light example below swaps sides depending if it is ECE left OR right hand drive.

Last edited:

m4rtin

Jun 8, 2019
Sydney
Can anyone with a model 3 confirm for me whether x2 or x1 of the white reversing lights should come on (when reversing)?
I’ve noticed only one of mine comes on- but online I’ve seen videos of x2 lighting up..

I posted this a while back too #1
Includes a pic I made with some ugly arrows! :cool:

Flatbat

Nov 12, 2019
Melbourne
Nice pics of the config @m4rtin
I was just reading up on the origin of the single white reverse light and why ours is on the left. European rules say a single Fog light must be on the drivers side. Therefore our white the reverse light ends up in the spare slot on the passenger side.

Reactions: m4rtin

SebRanguis

Sep 20, 2020
Sydney
Yes mine too- just realised this today. And just realised it’s normal after I sent an email asking for it to get fixed
DF22F9B6-9EED-475C-94A8-659287CE50B1.jpeg

Crustyman

Dec 7, 2019
Victoria
Agree I already have had 2 randoms tell me one of my reverse lights are out, I'd prefer them over having a fog light but not much we can do about it :)

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
I'd never noticed it before getting my M3, but now I'm aware of it I've seen a few Peugeots with the same single-reverse-light setup. I assume it'll only become more common on the roads here.

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
Agree I already have had 2 randoms tell me one of my reverse lights are out, I'd prefer them over having a fog light but not much we can do about it :)

I am also not a big fan of the foglight situation. Australia is nowhere near as foggy as europe and most people here drive around with their front foglights on 24/7, assuming they are used to illuminate the side of the road and look for roos........

Keepleft

May 13, 2021
Hunter Valley
Don't spend THAT much time going backwards do we?:)). The rear fog is brilliant in torrential daytime rain on the highway, and in heavy fog. Many seconds advanced warning over the regular taillights. Off it goes the moment visibility returns to near normal.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC