TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Reversing lights

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Saoirse, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Saoirse

Saoirse Member

Can anyone with a model 3 confirm for me whether x2 or x1 of the white reversing lights should come on (when reversing)?
    I’ve noticed only one of mine comes on- but online I’ve seen videos of x2 lighting up..

2. strood

strood Member

Model 3 only has 1 reversing light. Yes it looks weird.

3. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

Most of my previous cars (x3, German) only have a single reversing light.

4. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

Do you have the fog light on the other side?

5. Saoirse

Saoirse Member

Either way is fine- just thought it looked weird as you say.. I had a quick look online and saw a couple of videos where it looks like x2 reverse lights come on, may be old or US only.. so thought I’d ask..

6. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

One reversing (left side) and one fog light (right side).

7. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I must have seen similar as I thought (incorrectly) I'd seen that on the road and that this is what happened after the foglights stopped being a thing on SR+. Only I find it's the front foglights that went away (or may still be there, disabled in software like my footwell lights that turn on to tease me when I unlock the car)

8. Saoirse

Saoirse Member

No worries- thanks for that

9. Flatbat

Flatbat Member

#9 Flatbat, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    upload_2020-6-17_2-0-38.jpeg There is a slightly different lighting configuration between North American and Rest of World model 3s. Reverse lights, fog lights and I think blinkers differ. This will explain the online videos showing two reverse lights. Will see if I can find the reference.

Found it. Here you go. SAE being North America and ECE being Europe and ROW. There are some regional sub variations as well. The single reverse light example below swaps sides depending if it is ECE left OR right hand drive.

• Informative x 6
    • Love x 1
  10. m4rtin

m4rtin Member

I posted this a while back too #1
    Includes a pic I made with some ugly arrows! :cool:

11. Flatbat

Flatbat Member

Nice pics of the config @m4rtin
    I was just reading up on the origin of the single white reverse light and why ours is on the left. European rules say a single Fog light must be on the drivers side. Therefore our white the reverse light ends up in the spare slot on the passenger side.

• Like x 1
  12. SebRanguis

SebRanguis New Member

Yes mine too- just realised this today. And just realised it’s normal after I sent an email asking for it to get fixed DF22F9B6-9EED-475C-94A8-659287CE50B1.jpeg

13. rowdy

rowdy Member

Really hate the one light on the left side. Gets obscured with angle parking if you are next to a big vehicle/van.

Reversing lights are to alert other drivers/pedestrians. Seems silly not to have two like most other cars.

• Like x 3
  14. paulp

paulp Active Member

I’m sure it complies with australian design rules.

15. Crustyman

Crustyman Member

Agree I already have had 2 randoms tell me one of my reverse lights are out, I'd prefer them over having a fog light but not much we can do about it :)

16. cafz

cafz Member

I'd never noticed it before getting my M3, but now I'm aware of it I've seen a few Peugeots with the same single-reverse-light setup. I assume it'll only become more common on the roads here.

17. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

Every past car i've owned over the past 10+ years (admittedly all Euro's) have only had one reverse with the fog on the otherside.

18. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

I am also not a big fan of the foglight situation. Australia is nowhere near as foggy as europe and most people here drive around with their front foglights on 24/7, assuming they are used to illuminate the side of the road and look for roos........