Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 review - After moving from RWD to AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When i test drove the AWD vs RWD, i noticed the take off between the two. I also noticed that the AWD seems tighter in terms of steer and cornering. This was one reason i paid extra for the AWD (non-p).

In Florida (and presumably elsewhere), you only pay tax on the difference between the new price and the trade-in, which substantially lowers the tax burden.

For instance, If he bought a $55k car and got $45k for trade-in, he'd only pay tax on the remaining $10k.

It's still a consideration, of course, but better to pay tax on $10k than $55k!

Ahhh that's right. So is this only for a trade in or can you get this by doing a third party seller as well? Curious if I can back date the sale of my Prius. Maybe Mr. Google can help me on this.

Are you sure there is a gear reduction? I thought both motors were direct drive.
2-3.jpg

That looks like a sweet 9:1 gear reduction. I suppose it has more in common with "direct drive" than the complex multi-speed transmissions mated to ICE's but it is still a gear reduction. With no clutches or gear engagement/disengagements, the oil stays nice and clean and without the high temperatures of an ICE engine, it should last nearly forever as long as it's not contaminated by water or some other substance breaching it's sealed cases.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm guessing the cars under comparison have different tires/wheels? If so, that's probably 90% of the difference you notice in steering feel. Because I switch back and forth between my AWD Performance and my wife's LR RWD.

My Performance 3 is running on the exact same rims + tires as my original LR (I swapped them when I got the car)

The weight of the front motor was very noticeable as is the gear/motor sounds up front but it's not excessive and you get acclimated quite quickly.

I miss the 'lighter' feel of the RWD car and that it could get ever so slightly tail-out but I am forever addicted to the greater acceleration of the P :)

I thought if you sold the car before the end of the year. You couldn't get the tax credit. Otherwise a lot of people would buy the car and sell it the next day to get 7,500.

According to the folks who prepare help with our taxes, this is not true - that you need to keep it a year. What is true is that you are not supposed to flip the car ie the intention is that you buy the car to keep it.. it does seem a place where interpretation could get you in trouble.. none the less, we had RWD for ~6 mos but now have the Performance 3 since August because.. fun

My Performance 3 is running on the exact same rims + tires as my original LR (I swapped them when I got the car)

Which rims/tires would that be?

I miss the 'lighter' feel of the RWD car and that it could get ever so slightly tail-out but I am forever addicted to the greater acceleration of the P :)

I only have around 2,500 miles on the P3D but it will definitely get "tail out" under acceleration in the rain. And in the snow it will get "tail out" about 20 degrees in a corner under acceleration (and then the stability control just holds it there like magic as long as you stay on the throttle). I think you probably have tires with more traction than the OEM Michelin MXM4 Primacy's, at least in the dry and perhaps as a driver you are less adventurous in the rain/snow. If you like the "tail out" just put some less grippy rubber on there and the P3D will be happy to oblige ;)

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla OEM 19" with the OEM tires.

Well lucky for me neither is a very common occurrence around here :) I tend to keep my adventures on the track though ... more fun, less authorities or other hazards! :)

Any Southern California transplant will tell you how much it rains in the Bay Area! Since you like swinging your tail out, I think it's time for a track day in the rain. You will see what I'm talking about re: tail out. Go into the tighter and/or off camber corners at a speed you could just maintain through the corner and then give it plenty of throttle as you're aiming for the apex.

Any Southern California transplant will tell you how much it rains in the Bay Area!

I can well believe that! But after a 20years of east coast (Boston) weather, this is paradise :)

I recall a race at Lime Rock Ct - we ran relatively low powered FWD VWs - I had the fleeting honor of pole position due to qualifying in the rain where the RWD drivers were understandably more cautious. Of course, the race itself had nice dry track w/sun and the more powerful RWD guys were able to reclaim that position ;)

Reactions: StealthP3D
U
According to the folks who prepare help with our taxes, this is not true - that you need to keep it a year. What is true is that you are not supposed to flip the car ie the intention is that you buy the car to keep it.. it does seem a place where interpretation could get you in trouble.. none the less, we had RWD for ~6 mos but now have the Performance 3 since August because.. fun
But how are you able to take a tax credit for a vehicle you don't have? Something doesn't sound right to me. Doesn't matter though. If you claim it and you get it then good for you.

Re:efficiency, I was in SB this last weekend with some friends. A buddy of mine had his RWD on 18s with aeros on. I had my AWD NonP on 19s. From Oxnard SC to OC, we basically drove side by side. For a roughly 100 mile stretch, averaging 75 mph, he got 278 wh/mi and I was at 281 wh/mi. Both cars had 2 passengers and comparable luggage.

Re:efficiency, I was in SB this last weekend with some friends. A buddy of mine had his RWD on 18s with aeros on. I had my AWD NonP on 19s. From Oxnard SC to OC, we basically drove side by side. For a roughly 100 mile stretch, averaging 75 mph, he got 278 wh/mi and I was at 281 wh/mi. Both cars had 2 passengers and comparable luggage.

Our two Model 3's (P3D with Aero's and LR RWD with Aero's) would not have been that close in power consumption.

The unaccounted for variables in your efficiency observations are:

1) climate control settings including fan speed (this can be huge)
2) Tire air pressure (this can be very significant)
3) Driving style (even cruising the same route, subtle variations of how often the car goes into regen can have a big effect)

Note about #1: It's not that the fan consumes so much electricity (although it's significant). The big reason fan speed affects efficiency is it determines the volume of air that must be heated to the set temperature. This is more significant if recirculate is turned off but even with recirculate, a certain percentage of the air is introduced from outside the cabin.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Our two Model 3's (P3D with Aero's and LR RWD with Aero's) would not have been that close in power consumption.

The unaccounted for variables in your efficiency observations are:

1) climate control settings including fan speed (this can be huge)
2) Tire air pressure (this can be very significant)
3) Driving style (even cruising the same route, subtle variations of how often the car goes into regen can have a big effect)

Note about #1: It's not that the fan consumes so much electricity (although it's significant). The big reason fan speed affects efficiency is it determines the volume of air that must be heated to the set temperature. This is more significant if recirculate is turned off but even with recirculate, a certain percentage of the air is introduced from outside the cabin.
For the most part, we were driving side by side or front/back with cars ahead of us and behind us. Driving style pretty comparable. Had my fan set to 2 with no AC. Not sure what his AC setting was but it was around 62 outside so don’t think he had the heater or AC on.

Not sure on tire pressure.

This is a great story thanks. I’m on my third month of an AWD dual motor Tesla 3. It is absolutely the best driving car I have ever had. Solid sporty, tight driving with acceleration in sport mode that is surreal. Personally I like the black seats but I’ve seen one white seat car and it’s pretty nice. Finally I’m in Wisconsin in winter and this car is excellent in snow and ice!