Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Review after Test Drive - "Better than a BMW"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You quoting one test seems like a dubious claim considering that C&D, Road & Track and BMW themselves all cite faster 0-60 times.

If there's one thing turning me off to the thought of owning/driving a Tesla it's the near religious zealotry displayed by the Tesla community. You guys make Apple fans look like chill cats in comparison.

That is C&D, and we have been quoting all along for everything else. Now it isn't good enough because it doesn't back your claim?

People who has not driven a Tesla will never get it. It's more than just numbers on paper. The instant 100% torque and lack of transmission pauses just makes it a much better driving experience. I've driven many German cars in the past and even with the fastest dual clutch system they still pale in comparison. Model S just feels way more nimble than any of its competitor, which in this case should be compared to a 7 series, not a 3. And I suspect Model 3 will inherit similar performance into smaller package.

We can argue til everyone is out of breath, but until somebody actually drives a Model 3, any claims to facts are hearsay.

Okay just think of it this way. How many of you felt the need to join a BMW or GT racer forum just to defend what was being talked about regarding Tesla Model S?

Actually I like these sort of bimmer characters, the more they talk, the more I feel happy about my choice, it hits all the right spots and 2 years before its due how great is that.

If there's one thing turning me off to the thought of owning/driving a Tesla it's the near religious zealotry displayed by the Tesla community. You guys make Apple fans look like chill cats in comparison.

This is a silly post. Tesla is attacked all the time, FUD is spread all the time, it's not zealotry...it's that people have to constantly defend the vehicle and company.

You could say the same thing about people going out of their way to find negatives. There is a healthy anti-tesla/anti-bev portion of the populace that constantly harasses any board with an article about Tesla, or a site dedicated to Tesla ownership.

To your point though, this is Tesla Motors Club, I think it's pretty fair to assume that there will be a pro-Tesla bias among the community.

I drove the model s 70d, it is okay, certainly wasn't faster than any modern turbo BMW cars like 335xi. the other poster's new 340xi will be even faster. he wasn't lying when he said 4.5s

2015 BMW 335i xDrive - Instrumented Test
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 105 mph

but one thing it stood out for me was the weight, nothing can hide that 4800+lb curb weight. model 3 will be lighter, but how much lighter we don't know yet. even at 4000lb it will still be about 500lbs heavier than the current F30, and over 600lbs heavier than the new 3 series which is due on 2018.

its so funny people starts to educate me about 'real world', as long as you can find a piece of tarmac and its legal to do what you do, that is the real world.

so let me summarize this for you, in the real world, a 70d can't even beat a lowly 228xi on a straight line, and will mostly go into limp mode after 2 laps at any fast tracks, pulling into pits while watching the 228xi go by laps after laps.

its funny. When folks said, 'real world' what they meant was your every day commute and vacation trips - you see the kind of things thousands of folks lined up for and reserved a Tesla M3.

In your BMW world though, "real world' means going in circles in a track.

I drove the model s 70d, it is okay, certainly wasn't faster than any modern turbo BMW cars like 335xi. the other poster's new 340xi will be even faster. he wasn't lying when he said 4.5s

C/D TEST RESULTS:

but one thing it stood out for me was the weight, nothing can hide that 4800+lb curb weight. model 3 will be lighter, but how much lighter we don't know yet. even at 4000lb it will still be about 500lbs heavier than the current F30, and over 600lbs heavier than the new 3 series which is due on 2018.

Again, an even more unrealistic comparison with the 335ix, the 335 is a performance model...you should be comparing to the P90D. Then the BMW M3 would be compared to the P90DL. Though again, comparing a Model S to the 3-series doesn't make much sense. The Model 3 comparison will be the performance version as well, and it will be most likely faster than the 335.

I am sorry, but i only speak based on facts.

When i was waiting to buy model 3, the nice young lady in front of me ever had a car. the store I happened to be in has a very small parking lot, and when the nice sales rep came to collect all the car keys so they can park and take out cars for us all I see is vw, honda, toyota keyfobs. and all i see is hyundai, smart, toyota drivers kept pulling into the lot even though clearly the lot was full.

they had to at one time, ask who drives a beige honda civic, cause that car was blocking the entrance of the back parking lot.

i said 'most' model 3 potential owners, and i believe my statement is clearly true based on what i have seen in the store that day.

Wow...that's...pretty much the type of thing I'd expect you to type based on your previous posts.

"Better" at what? It's possible to define "better" in many, many ways. Slogging through snow? Carrying plywood? Racing in circles?
A quick story. I took a long motorcycle trip on my BMW R69S one summer, and came upon a gaggle of Harleys in Ohio. The BMW was almost silent, it was smooth and reliable. Naturally, they hated it. Naturally (like the BMW owner here) they all wanted to race.
"Sure," I said. "How about to Maine?"
The BMW was the superior cruiser. The Harleys were loud, noisy, unreliable. They would have vibrated their rider to death before long.
The BMW car owner here wants to ask the same question those Harley owners asked me: "Wanna race?"
To which I'd say, "Sure. How about to the future?"
I have no doubt the Tesla will quickly lose this gentleman and his BMW in the rear view mirror, and arrive at that finish line while he is still racing in circles.
Robin

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Isn't this just the same post that you made before, with a slightly different BMW, ignoring the same real world numbers you ignored before?

It really looks like trolling, when you make the same post over and over, cherry picking the same data to make the same disingenuous point.

Highlighting the missing data:

335ix:
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.7 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.4 sec

Here is the cheapest Tesla C&D ever tested. A RWD Model S 60.
2014 Tesla Model S 60 - Instrumented Test

Zero to 60 mph: 5.5 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.0 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec

Step on it at 5 MPH, 30 MPH, 50 MPH and the cheapest Model S, is quicker than than even the 335ix. It should be obvious that would be the case in between those speeds as well.

You really need Launch Control, Clutch Dump, or brake loading to to get quicker launch than even a RWD Model S 60. Something no one does on the street.

"TRANSMISSION:6-speed manual"

auto is 4.5-4.6s all day

Yes, mine is auto and definitely faster than 4.9 seconds 0-60. It has the ZF8 sport auto transmission.

Again, an even more unrealistic comparison with the 335ix, the 335 is a performance model...you should be comparing to the P90D. Then the BMW M3 would be compared to the P90DL. Though again, comparing a Model S to the 3-series doesn't make much sense. The Model 3 comparison will be the performance version as well, and it will be most likely faster than the 335.

For me it's going to come down to how much that performance Model 3 costs vs what I can get from the German brainiacs for similar money. I'm not on a crusade to save the planet from the burning of fossil fuels, I just like cars that drive really well, are pretty fast and have loads of creature comforts & tech.

I do agree that in straight line performance a "ludicrous" mode Model 3 should absolutely annihilate any current sports sedan until you get into the seriously high performance stuff like Audi RS4.

However, I've also got to be able to afford it. If getting it optioned the way I want is going to cost me near $70K then it doesn't matter if it's a bit quicker than my ancient gas burners, I will just keep driving them since I can get really fantastic ones for right around $50,000.

Sure with Launch control. With appropriate cooling time in between. :D

IIRC BMW recommends letting the car cool for 5 minutes before using Launch Control again.

So you're going to point out that doing a flat out drag race run with a turbo car results in a manufacturer recommended cool down (which you don't HAVE to do btw) but you're not willing to acknowledge that a Tesla can't even be driven hard for more than 10 minutes without the battery completely overheating?

Come on, you're better than that.

However, I've also got to be able to afford it. If getting it optioned the way I want is going to cost me near $70K then it doesn't matter if it's a bit quicker than my ancient gas burners, I will just keep driving them since I can get really fantastic ones for right around $50,000.

A Model 3 with "P" and "L" performance looks to be around ~$55-60k, based on what can be gleaned from Elon's tweets and comparable price differentiation with the Model S variants.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
I m not sure if you know how to drive a manual car, or use the sports paddles to change gears yourself

you said 335xi

but at 30mph, i m not using my top gear which on the 335xi AT is the 8th gear. i could easily be on 3rd in the sweat spot of the wide turbo powerband and the acceleration will be wicked fast.

Isn't this just the same post that you made before, with a slightly different BMW, ignoring the same real world numbers you ignored before?

It really looks like trolling, when you make the same post over and over, cherry picking the same data to make the same disingenuous point.

Highlighting the missing data:

335ix:
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.7 sec

Here is the cheapest Tesla C&D ever tested. A RWD Model S 60.
2014 Tesla Model S 60 - Instrumented Test

Zero to 60 mph: 5.5 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.0 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec

Step on it at 5 MPH, 30 MPH, 50 MPH and the cheapest Model S, is quicker than than even the 335ix. It should be obvious that would be the case in between those speeds as well.

You really need Launch Control, Clutch Dump, or brake loading to to get quicker launch than even a RWD Model S 60. Something no one does on the street.

Reactions: Lunarx
So please go ahead and tell us all about your experience driving a Model 3?
How about a Roadster?
How about even a Model S / X?

That's not really his point. His point is that his observation is that the overwhelming majority of people who have put deposits down on Model 3 are not coming from performance cars, they are coming from assorted econoboxes that nobody who cares about performance would ever purchase (Prius, Leaf, Civic, Sentra, etc).

That might hurt some people's feelings, but based on a variety of comments in the "what car are you coming from" thread, it's probably true.