Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ride Comfort Poll - AWD vs P-AWD

AWD vs P-AWD ride comfort

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Made an order for the AWD (non-performance) today (yay!) on the 18" aero wheels.

Wondering if the ride comfort with the non-performance AWD would be better or the same as the performance AWD version. I assume the performance version would be a 'stiffer' suspension, for a more sporty feel. Downside would be feeling bumps more on the road.

I would much prefer a comfort (i.e. more floaty) feel, as this would be a daily commuter car (25 miles each way). Travel is mainly back roads, usually smooth but occasional bumps (and rarely gravel roads). I chose the 18" aeros as it seems that these are preferred for comfort.

Which would you do, based on the above, if comfort was a priority? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/vote.

Hi All,

Made an order for the AWD (non-performance) today (yay!) on the 18" aero wheels.

Wondering if the ride comfort with the non-performance AWD would be better or the same as the performance AWD version. I assume the performance version would be a 'stiffer' suspension, for a more sporty feel. Downside would be feeling bumps more on the road.

I would much prefer a comfort (i.e. more floaty) feel, as this would be a daily commuter car (25 miles each way). Travel is mainly back roads, usually smooth but occasional bumps (and rarely gravel roads). I chose the 18" aeros as it seems that these are preferred for comfort.

Which would you do, based on the above, if comfort was a priority? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/vote.

Nothing has been mentioned about suspension changes on any of the 3’s... any difference will come from wheels and tires. Hopefully the P will have a sport tuned suspension, but not holding my breath.

I wouldn't count on there being a different suspension. What we saw with the Model S was a separate suspension option early on with the P85+ cars (also included staggered front/rear wheels/tires), and then another performance version on the early P85D cars. That was all eventually dropped about 3 years ago and now all Model Ses appear to have the same suspension.

By all reports, the early Model 3 suspension was too firm for most people and even the current iteration is tuned more toward sport than outright comfort apparently.

With the battery in the floor, these cars all have low centers of gravity and thus the need for a super firm suspension is reduced compared to a typical ICE car.

I a
I wouldn't count on there being a different suspension. What we saw with the Model S was a separate suspension option early on with the P85+ cars (also included staggered front/rear wheels/tires), and then another performance version on the early P85D cars. That was all eventually dropped about 3 years ago and now all Model Ses appear to have the same suspension.

By all reports, the early Model 3 suspension was too firm for most people and even the current iteration is tuned more toward sport than outright comfort apparently.

With the battery in the floor, these cars all have low centers of gravity and thus the need for a super firm suspension is reduced compared to a typical ICE car.

I agree it is unlikely to get a suspension upgrade for the reasons you mention, however a P model should have an upgraded suspension befitting it’s nomenclature.

Thanks each of you for your replies. The reason I ask this question/poll is that the performance version is available with the 18" wheels as the base wheels, and if the majority/all of the comfort variety is in the wheels, then it might move me to a performance AWD version if the ride comfort would be the same as a non-performance AWD with those 18" wheels.