TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 ride quality and noise level vs Model S

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by calisnow, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

If there's a thread on this already I didn't see it. What's the thought on the topic of ride quality? There is some speculation the S will get new suspension tech this year which will help differentiate it from the 3.

2. Jayc

Jayc Member

#2 Jayc, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Do you have a link ?

All speculation but I expect the new battery pack to be a better noise insulator compared to the old one simply based on cell height. On the other hand, I expect Tesla to try reduce weight on Model 3 to maximise range so that might mean less emphasis on sound deadening. But of course it's 6 years since Model S was designed so overall improvements to material and technology could mean better sound insulation. Then there is the fact that Model 3 will feature more in glass area which will not be as good a thermal/noise insulator. Production process improvements however should result in a better fit and finish resulting in less cabin noise due to dashboard rattles etc.

All in all difficult to predict but I'd be happy if they can maintain the same noise insulation level as Model S. One thing I really really do not want is rattles in the cabin - certainly not in a car of Model 3 grade.

3. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I'm thinking that the 3 and the S will have similar characteristics, and both be significantly better than most other cars. They both have a large percentage of the GVW evenly dispersed on a low plane through the entire area between the 4 wheels and no ICE noise. They both come with tires that are designed for rolling efficiency, which may mean that the tire noise is less than typical. Less friction, less noise.

• Like x 1
  4. 22522

22522 Active Member

Acoustics will be better if Tesla is true to stated vision.

5. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

I had just posted this over on the M3OC forum a day or so ago... The MotorTrend March 31st reveal ride-along video does a good job of showing the Model 3s sound deadening around 6:20 into the video, when they are pulling back into the waiting area. the music outside is muffled. When the passengers open the doors you can tell how much quieter it was in the closed up car.

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Expect that Model 3 will be quieter than all the similar sized ICE cars.

Most of the noise will be determined by your choice of tires.

The aero will be fantastic, and the one piece glass roof should be much quieter than one with several seams.

7. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Noise inside an EV is an odd thing though - I find normal car noises are now somehow more annoying because there is no engine racket to drown them out. Suspension knocks, wiper blades and AC noise are so much more prominent now, but wouldn't be mentioned for an ICE.
    Just one more reason to never drive an ICE again

8. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Wouldn't a regular roof be quieter than a glass roof? And the 3 is still going to have 3 panes of glass even if the all-glass option is purchased (windshield, roof, rear window).

9. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

The pano roof in the S has always been reportedly more noisy than the solid roof, yes. Nevertheless I went with pano - so pretty.

10. eisbock

eisbock Member

Wait. Are you saying you're more annoyed when driving an EV compared to ICE, because everyday noises are now more noticeable and obnoxious? I don't see how this is an argument advocating EVs.

11. McRat

McRat Active Member

If you want Donk rims and rubber band tires, don't expect miracles.

978417c74abfa8cc7695baf11e5fcd55.jpg

Sadly, that is today's fashion. If you want a quiet smooth ride, you need tall sidewalls.

12. eisbock

eisbock Member

Which is why I'll be getting the smallest wheel Tesla offers. It's pretty amazing that fashion outweighs a stiffer ride, more road noise, more expensive tires, and more frequent tire changes.

I mean, even if I had money to burn, just having to get your tires changed twice as often is a huge inconvenience. I guess it's good that it's in fashion though, because Tesla can sucker enough people into spending more money which increases their profits and ultimately benefits me with more superchargers and better service.

• Like x 1
  13. tsla007

tsla007 Member

What is the internal db level at 65mph? That's my question.

14. Deans

Deans Member

57 dB is what I measured in the car at 65mph. I measured using an iPhone app called "dB Meter".
    It measured virtually identical to Audi A7 and BMW X5.
    However, it does seem louder. I don't know how much of that is due to no background engine humming. Honestly, the A7 only runs at like 1500 rpms at 65mph and makes very little background noise.

• Like x 1
  15. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

There's nothing amazing about people holding strong aesthetic preferences you are incapable of understanding.

16. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

No

17. tsla007

tsla007 Member

I'm confused-how can you measure the db before the car is even built?
    Elon said he has insulated the tire wells after first unveil.
    I believe Elon was hoping for under 45db in the cabin.

18. N5329K

N5329K Member

image.jpeg
    Been that way a while.
    Robin

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. Deans

Deans Member

Sorry, I was talking about MS by mistake.

20. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

How is someone going to test the noise level on a car that does not exist yet?