Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Right Hand Drive and UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is in-line with my expectations too. My reservation now says '2019' where it used to say 'early 2019'.

I'm also very keen to see the charge port for EU, which we could assume will be the same for the RHD models for UK/AU. Really hoping to see CCS 2 there.

CSS would be sick. In QLD they are already plastering the bruce highway with CSS (only 50kwh so far though i think) and Chademo and in europe CSS is almost as good and sometimes better than tesla superchargers from the density and charging speed (100kwh).

My reservation doesnt say anything anymore btw. Though in the FAQ it still says early 2019.

Only annoying thing imho is that when we will get the Model 3 in late 2019 or even early 2020 with further delays we are paying more than the americans do for a car from 2017.

Reactions: alexeiw123
Zoe just isn't a proper vehicle like a tesla is though. it lacks range, space and features....
This is not the first time either. The Hyundai Ioniq is also delayed by fricking years in Australia. Just no interest in a country without charging infrastructure with cheap gas prices and no guzzler tax..... :(

I have a Zoe too- brilliant for nipping around town on seal trips- ( 80-100 miles a full charge) - but want I a bigger car for longer trips- ( 200+ miles) agonising about getting a S- but in 18months time what will it have depreciated?? The M3 fits the bill in terms of size and rear view etc and its simplicity.. and cost... I struggle with the idea of paying £45-50K for a second hand car.. anything older and cheaper might be tricky to sell , and a new one ( £67K) will not only depreciate most in 2 yrs, but does not have a life time warranty on the car..only on the driver- which means it will lose its " gloss" selling it on in 2 yrs..
so..options 1. dig in and wait for M3,- no supercharging but much less expensive or 2. Buy a S and stick with it...and get free supercharging which will stop when i sell it on. ( I did confirm this with Tesla the new models free supercharging for "life" is not the car its the person)
What are you all thinking???

Interesting- not the Kona? The EV market will be hotting up for sure.. Tesla has the "Class " factor though But may in the uK have been waiting a long time.. even the Jaguar ipace is offering delivery this Sept/Oct
Once the ioniq is announced with a larger battery I will order one for the mrs. The model 3 will just take too long!
What will you do with your M3 deposit or do you plan to have two EV's?

I already have an MS so it’s second electric car. To be fair the Kona and Niro both look good but you still can’t order then and, like the ioniq, they will probably be 9-12 months for delivery.

Electric car order to delivery times have become a major drawback for people looking at an EV car.

Reactions: strykeroz
I already have an MS so it’s second electric car. To be fair the Kona and Niro both look good but you still can’t order then and, like the ioniq, they will probably be 9-12 months for delivery.

Electric car order to delivery times have become a major drawback for people looking at an EV car.
How do you find the S ?
Loved the test drive but it was the size and rear window visibility not to mention uk small roads !! The M3 is a bit smaller and seemingly better rear window visibility

Thoughts on M3 - just wondered - most of the controlling is either from steering wheel or large screen - in the UK it will be on the left and many of us are “right “handed - will it be fumbly for those of us less dexterous with our non dominant hands?
I know we have screens in the left already but they tend to move much less comprehensive

I wouldn't have thought it would matter. I never have a problem using my current infotainment system/sat nav to the left of me. It's probably going to be a non-issue. Most of the time you shouldn't really be adjusting things like that whilst driving, anyway, so you can use either hand.

The only things to the right of me in my current ICE are rear mirror adjustment (arguably better on the 3 since it's on the wheel controls) and switches for the fog lamps and sunroof which are fiddly and difficult, hatch & fuel cap releases and the door/window controls. I'm expecting the experience will be very similar, potentially better, in the 3.

Thoughts on M3 - just wondered - most of the controlling is either from steering wheel or large screen - in the UK it will be on the left and many of us are “right “handed - will it be fumbly for those of us less dexterous with our non dominant hands?
I know we have screens in the left already but they tend to move much less comprehensive
Finally once place where being left-handed carries advantage! I think all left-handed tesla m3 drivers needs to move to UK/Australia :)

I asked exactly the same question here when the S was released in RHD configuration. Back then the general consensus was that you get used to it but if it was within your means it was better to get a LHD Model S if possible.

I have a 9" touchscreen in my carwhich is now RHD. No physicial buttons to control anything. It took me probably 4-6 months to get used to it. Problems were mainly lifting the left hand in the air while then trying to hit a spot on the touchscreen. - I sort of resort(ed) to putting my wrist on the shifter and then pressing what I want to press. Only really works in the lower half of the screen though. Fortunately it is not that common that you need to use it actually while driving beyond scrolling to find a certain song in the playlist.

I asked exactly the same question here when the S was released in RHD configuration. Back then the general consensus was that you get used to it but if it was within your means it was better to get a LHD Model S if possible.

I have a 9" touchscreen in my carwhich is now RHD. No physicial buttons to control anything. It took me probably 4-6 months to get used to it. Problems were mainly lifting the left hand in the air while then trying to hit a spot on the touchscreen. - I sort of resort(ed) to putting my wrist on the shifter and then pressing what I want to press. Only really works in the lower half of the screen though. Fortunately it is not that common that you need to use it actually while driving beyond scrolling to find a certain song in the playlist.
Thats really helpful thank you