Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only concern is the warning label associated with the product. under the product description in the listing on Amazon.
DANGERAll ceramic fiber products have a hazard communication warning label and prop 65 warning for airborne fiber inhalation. Please consult the Safety Data Sheet for more information.
HAZARD STATEMENTProlonged and repeated exposure to ceramic fiber dust is suspected of causing cancer and other lung damage. May cause skin and eye irritation.
PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTWhen handling ceramic fiber we recommend protective gloves, safety glasses and long sleeve clothing. Avoid creating airborne dust, by only using hand tools. Frequently clean the work area with HEPA filtered vacuum or wet sweeping to minimize the accumulation of dust. Do not use compressed air for clean-up. Avoid breathing the dust and if necessary, wear an approved respirator mask.
SAFETY DATA SHEETUpon request we can provide the full SDS sheet for these products.

Probably a bit over dramatic on the part of the manufacture to state this (prop 65), but it should be noted. I wish we could find a more natural fiber that worked just as well. Maybe sheep's wool? It is used a lot for insulating Sprinter camper vans and others.
LOL - yes. It is enclosed behind the seat and not open to anyone. Otherwise I would not do it.

what I did do is play road noise on my sound system at home and took different materials to find out which one works the bes

Just to confirm, does the mat under your pedals have a 2” thick foam? Mine does. If not, you may want to put that fiber mat there under the carpet.
Thank you for sharing this very valuable information! I plan to do the insulation over the week-end after I receive the materials...
I have a 2018 M3 (Nov build), you're saying there should be some foam insulation under the carpet below the pedals? We're not talking about the mats but the actual carpet?

Reactions: enemji
Thank you for sharing this very valuable information! I plan to do the insulation over the week-end after I receive the materials...
I have a 2018 M3 (Nov build), you're saying there should be some foam insulation under the carpet below the pedals? We're not talking about the mats but the actual carpet?
Yes. Too bad I can only slide my fingers in and feel it. Can’t take a real picture of it without removing the whole carpet.

Yes. Too bad I can only slide my fingers in and feel it. Can’t take a real picture of it without removing the whole carpet.

Do you think this type of insulation would work just as well as the ceramic fiber? I don't really know my materials vs sound attenuation well enough to tell. I'm wondering if this would be a safer alternative so there's no little bits of ceramic fiber dust overtime in the vehicle (even though there shouldn't be much dust at all since they're installed behind the wheel well panels)

Do you think this type of insulation would work just as well as the ceramic fiber? I don't really know my materials vs sound attenuation well enough to tell. I'm wondering if this would be a safer alternative so there's no little bits of ceramic fiber dust overtime in the vehicle (even though there shouldn't be much dust at all since they're installed behind the wheel well panels)
That is horrible. I tested that too.

88A12319-7C00-4D35-BD82-181C961CE5F2.jpeg

Also tested these
E417E7D4-5F18-4A88-A45A-E1541D6EFFD1.jpeg

Useless for what I wanted to feel and voice my car like - a Mercedes.

Reactions: XPsionic

you maybe better off using the fiberglass insulation from Home Depot if you fear the ceramic carcinogens.

Look at this. I am at a garage where they have the Mercedes opened up and what is Mercedes using? Same thing!!!! Ceramic Wool.
4928809A-35B1-4C3F-8441-081D28F926A3.jpeg

Another possible material to use is rockwool insulation. It is mineral based insulation that they use both for sound control in interior walls (specific product) and R-value insulation for walls and attics (also specific product). Can't find it for a reasonable price on Amazon but Lowes sells it in the US. The stuff apparently is better and safer than fiberglass insulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji
Another possible material to use is rockwool insulation. It is mineral based insulation that they use both for sound control in interior walls (specific product) and R-value insulation for walls and attics (also specific product). Can't find it for a reasonable price on Amazon but Lowes sells it in the US. The stuff apparently is better and safer than fiberglass insulation.

Yes!!! I wanted to try that first and foremost but price and availability made me go for something else and I ended up with Ceramic Wool which is the choice for car firewall even in Mercedes as I found out 2 days after my install just by 🍀 luck.

Please continue the discussion on the new “solved” thread.

So here are the 3 items I have done:

1. Added flat weatherstrip to the window gasket
View attachment 913144

2. Added Z-weatherstrip to the front door edge along the A-Pillar
View attachment 913145

3. Added closed cell foam behind the front fender along the A-Pillar
View attachment 913146
Can you provide more info (link) on the flat weather stripping? I have air coming in about 4" down the b-pillar from the corner "triangle" area. The seal isn't well supported by the car until it gets further down the b-pillar.

thanks

Can you provide more info (link) on the flat weather stripping? I have air coming in about 4" down the b-pillar from the corner "triangle" area. The seal isn't well supported by the car until it gets further down the b-pillar.

thanks
This should help…

Thlevel 16ft/5M Windshield Seal Weather Stripping Rubber Sealing Strip Trim Cover Car Windshield Weather Seal for Car Front Rear Windshield, Sunroof, Sliding Doors, Sliding Windows, Closet Doors

Reactions: alset3000
I see there have been many discussions on eliminating road noise, including the obvious dynamat on floor to the unique foam on the rear shelf for 2019 amd older models.

However, and somebody who is very engaged in audio science, I took a very different look and approach and it has worked!

So what different did I do?

If you see any speaker, you will see that the foundation of sound reproduction is designing the box. A speaker without a box is barely audible. Put that driver in a box and voila!

With that in mind my hypothesis was that the frunk and the trunk well are acting the same as speaker boxes and amplifying the road noise.

To test it out, I went down the path of insulating and isolating the frunk and the trunk well with simple bubble wrap on the floor of both the frunk and trunk well. On top of the bubble wrap, I placed the rubber mats to keep them down.

I then waited for my wife to take the car out to shopping and who had no idea of what I was doing in the garage.

After she came back from running her errands and shopping, she remarked over dinner that the car was very quiet today and almost no road noise, even over the rough worn out concrete roads outside the neighborhood. She then stared into my eyes 👀 and asked “What did you do?”

Then I also took out the car for a ride and yes! The car is almost as quiet as my mercedes S class.

I hope this helps anybody who is interested in reducing road noise on their Model 3.

By the way, this is the bubble wrap I used that I had some in my garage.

Double Bubble Reflective Thermal Aluminum Foil Radiant Heat Vapor Barrier Insulation: (24" X 10 Ft) Heavy Duty (Water Proof No Tear): Walls Windows Garages Attics Air Ducts HVAC Vehicle Etc Amazon.com
Inspired by enemji and Georgesb2, I bought some Second Skin sound deadening material when they had a sale, and today I lined my Model Y frunk, subtrunk, and parts of the trunk. I liked enemji’s reasoning that these parts of the car might act like speaker enclosures. At the same time given all the many folks who have tried various sound deadening tactics with limited results, I kept my expectations low.

Good thing I did. Here are the results. Using the NIOSH dB phone app, I averaged the db levels pre and post for three runs of a three mile stretch @65mph on a local highway. The improvement was measurable, but small, only .5 lower dB. I’d hoped for more.

To complicate things, new sounds have emerged, and I think I’m now hearing wind noise from the left rear door/window that I had not been able to hear before. I’m beginning to get a sense for how difficult this noise deadening process can be.

Last edited: