Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, yeah, you said you put the bubble foil on the floor of both frunk and trunk well (sub-trunk?) then covered it with rubber mats. But, based on the picture and as phigment noted, it appears you further isolated the frunk with material on the hood. If that's the case, did you do the whole hood or just the portion that covers the frunk cavity?

Do you think the rubber mats are also a factor or was it just to weight the stuff down? If the latter, would the supplied carpet square (2018 M3) do the trick in the frunk and, maybe, some velcro strips between the wrap and sub-trunk floor? How does it sound at highway speeds?

Thanks!
Depends on the rubber mat. I think the new XPE mats are good for sound insulation all by themselves. The regular Tesla all weather rubber mat, no so much.

My frunk and trunk wells are both lined with double insulation of closed cell foam and dynamat type heavy weight bitumen with aluminum backed layer. I specifically was inprired to do the wells on YT by Ty Bjorn Nyland‘s project on sound insulation of the Model 3.

In addition to the frunk and trunk, I have done all the wheel well insides, the door insides, the floor, under the rear seat, and the trunk lid.

All with the same materials mentioned above.

While my Model 3 is quieter, it is not a whole lot quieter.

Thats why I am curious if anyone has measured the difference before and after.

As I recall, even Bjorn mentioned in his video that all the sound insulation had a small difference, but not a whole lot.

For me, I remember it being quieter by 2-3 dB (yes, I know it’s a logarithmic scale) which is pretty nice, but the MOST advantage came from me switching to Pirelli Cinturatos for my Model 3. One of the quietest, most comfortable riding tires there are.

So I just filled my trunk well with a roll of foam, and in my frunk I put a memory foam pillow and then packed the rest of the frunn void with a duvet (yeah, real scientific). I then brought up a audio spectrum analyzer on screen and recorded a loop around the block: half traveling 60km/h on a straight way that had different asphalt patches, the other half was 40km/h residential.

I then removed all the padding and did it again. I can't say I noticed much difference, but I will listen to the audio and look at the analyzer graphs later when I get a chance.

But until I get a chance (I may not), here are two screenshots from the analyzer from the two separate laps, at the same point on the road:
VideoCapture_20220808-194917.jpg
VideoCapture_20220808-195042.jpg

So I just filled my trunk well with a roll of foam, and in my frunk I put a memory foam pillow and then packed the rest of the frunn void with a duvet (yeah, real scientific). I then brought up a audio spectrum analyzer on screen and recorded a loop around the block: half traveling 60km/h on a straight way that had different asphalt patches, the other half was 40km/h residential.

I then removed all the padding and did it again. I can't say I noticed much difference, but I will listen to the audio and look at the analyzer graphs later when I get a chance.

But until I get a chance (I may not), here are two screenshots from the analyzer from the two separate laps, at the same point on the road:View attachment 838308View attachment 838309
Which is why I refrained from using some “measurements” for when it comes to audio science nothing beats a blind test that one can experience but somehow we are usually unable to capture that on a measuring equipment or are unable to identify the right data to look at. There are audio speakers who measure flat and cost $ and then there are ones which cost $$$$.

As seen in your charts there are minor variations in the frequencies (left side) and some of us feel more comfortable (plush) when they are even just a wee bit less of them. That is the H in NVH that is always subtle and subjective

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouba
If it's making a difference to you that's all that matters. I know audio issues are difficult to measure and nail down.

I recently (hopefully) resolved a whining issue in my car that people didn't notice until I specifically pointed out. I was able to use this app to demonstrate a 4kHz sound occurring at the same time and pattern as the sound I was hearing.

Problems like road noise wouldn't likely show up as a similar distinct frequency issues.

It surprises me that you say you refrain from using measurements. Granted the fidelity of my phone is likely lacking, but sometimes a crude measurement is sufficient. I was hoping that the total signal power would drop enough to point in favor of your solution. But right now I haven't noticed an improvement with my ears or my tools. Perhaps I did something wrong.

But until I get a chance (I may not), here are two screenshots from the analyzer from the two separate laps, at the same point on the road:View attachment 838308View attachment 838309

Thanks! I await your results.

I was fascinated by the "fix" from Enemji and the suggestion trying a pillow. i did not have bubble wrap or a spare pillow on hand, but I folded two heavy, quilted furniture pads that movers use, and I put them (2) in the floor of the frunk and one at the bottom of the well in the trunk, and they have made a huge difference in muffling the road noise. Kudos to Enemji for the insight and fix.

Today, I drove to U-Haul and rented 6 furniture pads ($5.43/24 hours). I placed 3 in the well of the trunk, 3 in the frunk and drove around the neighborhood. Stopped took the pads out and drove again. Placed the pads back in and did it again.

I'm someone that doesn't really notice small changes in sound but even I could since a muffling of the road noise.

If it's making a difference to you that's all that matters. I know audio issues are difficult to measure and nail down.

It surprises me that you say you refrain from using measurements.
I am an odd ball. I have even gone doen the path to lose weight but I have never even gotten on a weighing scale to measure how much. As long as I feel good in my actions - breathing, running, playing tennis, swimming etc I am good.

The frunk floor and the trunk well floor lined with bubble wrap. That was my choice so that they still remain usable and easily implemented. I am sure you can go better with thicker foam boards or closed cell foam too.
Any pics of the frunk? Did you only line the floor and plop a frunk mat over it?

I’ve completely deadened my rear using traditional deadening acoustic materials and it helped somewhat. However the sound system sounds crazy good with the rear deadened. I have some leftover mass loaded vinyl, but these mainly block sound.

Last edited:
Glad to see you joined my club. I think that the bubble wrap isolates the vibration to the rubber mat.
I hate to bring up egg cartons. Used by every music guy that did not want unhappy folks
in the hood, cheap, easy to use. There are a host of cool products out there, but one key is isolation
to the noise source. My Euro penny.
Hmm. Rubber mat? Mine is a 2018 and has a carpet in the frunk. Maybe that's why I observed no difference.

Isn't the majority of noise coming from the hard 42 psi tires? Both acoustically from sound of tire/road impact and vibrations through the suspension? I HAD to drive the wife's Prius and was struck by how much quieter it is. I would give up 40 miles of range for a tire that would reduce the noise level. Has anyone attacked the noise at it's source, the tire? A softer, narrower tire that may not have the efficiency or performance of the OEM, but significantly quieter?

Isn't the majority of noise coming from the hard 42 psi tires? Both acoustically from sound of tire/road impact and vibrations through the suspension? I HAD to drive the wife's Prius and was struck by how much quieter it is. I would give up 40 miles of range for a tire that would reduce the noise level. Has anyone attacked the noise at it's source, the tire? A softer, narrower tire that may not have the efficiency or performance of the OEM, but significantly quieter?

I switched to Pirelli Cinturatos last year which are one of the quietest tires around. I have had them on my S two times. I then ordered them for my 3 as well. They made the biggest difference.

Rightnow, they are being called as Pirelli P7 AS3, they dropped the Cinturato name. However, the closest size available for Model 3 is 245 45 R 18 (for the 18” size). Slightly wider but it will fit on stock rims.