Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a step further and applied the foam rubber wrap on the inside well of the trunk directly to the sheet metal. Worked wonders, and the subwoofer deliver clean bass instead of a boomy bass.

This is what I used: Siless Liner 157 mil (4 mm)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B75PD8B

It is easy to just apply sound deadening all over the place. The problem is that it ruins the NVH balance of the car. I believed I have found the key location to reduce front tire road noise and is under testing. Stay tuned!!

FYI about PE Foam

“Polyethylene foam is a durable, lightweight, resilient, closed-cell material. It is often used for packaging fragile goods due to its excellent vibration dampening and insulation properties. It also offers high resistance to chemicals and moisture.”

966EFF1B-3BCF-46FF-B241-5D0FDDC0B6C4.jpeg

Here is a picture of the trunk well lined with the PE Foam. It is lighweight unlike butyl rubber. It does the job very well to keep the well from becoming a speaker enclosure and amplifying the road noise as well as keeping the subwoofer from booming.

So in my testing it appears that the wind noise and the front road noise are all linked together and the solution lies in the same zone - the A-pillar. Testing is ongoing and I am repeating the solution I had on my first M3LR onto the second M3LR. Regression testing ftw.

Reactions: XPsionic
So in my testing it appears that the wind noise and the front road noise are all linked together and the solution lies in the same zone - the A-pillar. Testing is ongoing and I am repeating the solution I had on my first M3LR onto the second M3LR. Regression testing ftw.
For me, above 65mph I hear equal amounts of road and wind noise. Would love to see if you find any good solutions to both.

Reactions: enemji
and 🥁 drum roll please. The results are in.

My analysis and hypothesis that the solution to annoying wind and road noise lies with the A-Pillar has been proven true.

1. Wind noise has literally disappeared.

2. Front road noise has been calmed down to a feedback level. No more of the annoying gritty sharp road noise.

The solution is as shown below in the pictures before and after.

Before:
As you can see the front fender that meets the A-Pillar is completely barr as well as disconnected from the A-pillar. This was the source of the wind noise from the top coming into this space.
The road noise from the tires was also making its way to this zone which interestingly is also where the midrange speaker is located on the door. That is where our ears are naturally focused and hence the annoyance.

EDE32E0F-9FED-48B2-8708-4DBD4BFACD81.jpeg

After:
The solution is to fill that gap with a sound isolating barrIer. The easiest and lightweight way was once again relying on the PE foam (uxcell or siless), cutting it to this shape and sliding it in there. Here is how it would look once in place
49FE48DD-1DDC-4521-A166-794E5B956F32.jpeg

My Inspiration to this solution is my Mercedes. A picture of that is also found below:
86C7A44E-322F-4A34-A686-68D019F0B94E.jpeg

Reactions: ss71 and XPsionic

My analysis and hypothesis that the solution to annoying wind and road noise lies with the A-Pillar has been proven true.

2. Front road noise has been calmed down to a feedback level. No more of the annoying gritty sharp road noise.

Before:
As you can see the front fender that meets the A-Pillar is completely barr as well as disconnected from the A-pillar. This was the source of the wind noise from the top coming into this space.
The road noise from the tires was also making its way to this zone which interestingly is also where the midrange speaker is located on the door. That is where our ears are naturally focused and hence the annoyance.

View attachment 910054

After:
The solution is to fill that gap with a sound isolating barrIer. The easiest and lightweight way was once again relying on the PE foam (uxcell or siless), cutting it to this shape and sliding it in there. Here is how it would look once in place
View attachment 910055

My Inspiration to this solution is my Mercedes. A picture of that is also found below:
View attachment 910057
Interesting. Can you link what foam you used and where you bought it? Or whatever good cheap alternatives you'd recommend?

So filling that empty area, all below glass level, reduced wind noise to almost nothing? How interesting. I'd love that!

Reactions: enemji
Interesting. Can you link what foam you used and where you bought it? Or whatever good cheap alternatives you'd recommend?

So filling that empty area, all below glass level, reduced wind noise to almost nothing? How interesting. I'd love that!
I have used this foam roll. Easy to cut. You will need to cut 4” wide strip and trim the top and bottom like this

Siless Liner 157 mil (4 mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B75PD8B?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

A1011112-E8E6-463E-9F22-C65697C9FD08.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ss71 and XPsionic

Before:

View attachment 910054

After:

Looks like you are covering a hole. Is it a drain hole or bolt access or what is its purpose?