Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Roadtrip from LA to SF on Highway 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I’m planning a roadtrip next weekend to San Francisco from Los Angeles (and back) on my Model 3 and wanted to take the Pacific Coast Highway 1 on either the trip north or back south.

I know there is a closure halfway around Big Sur area which is unfortunate but heard there is a detour so I can still see much of the scenery and enjoy the drive. However, I’m horrible with directions and was wondering if any of you guys can help me plan this trip out...

Ideally I would like to start the trip from LA but if it makes more sense to do it on the way back down from SF that is fine too.

The range on the 3 is about 310mi on a full charge so I’m not too worried about reaching Superchargers but the detours might make that a challenge I assume.

Greatly appreciate any advice!

The good news is you'll be going pretty slow most of the way, which helps range. The bad news it'll take a long time, 8-9 hr. Add more time if you want to see as much of Big Sur as possible. I don't think it'd be particularly easier in either direction, but maybe I'm missing something.

This may be useful for Big Sur: Highway 1 Conditions in Big Sur, California

I took a shot at a route, but routed around Big Sur entirely. You could probably see some of it by taking 101 to the Monterey SC, then taking a side trip down 1 to the closure, and then back to Monterey.

EV Trip Planner

You might notice that there are several places where 1 and 101 are the same road, then 1 splits off again. It can be easy to miss a fair-sized stretch of 1 that way.

The good news is you'll be going pretty slow most of the way, which helps range. The bad news it'll take a long time, 8-9 hr. Add more time if you want to see as much of Big Sur as possible. I don't think it'd be particularly easier in either direction, but maybe I'm missing something.

This may be useful for Big Sur: Highway 1 Conditions in Big Sur, California

I took a shot at a route, but routed around Big Sur entirely. You could probably see some of it by taking 101 to the Monterey SC, then taking a side trip down 1 to the closure, and then back to Monterey.

EV Trip Planner

You might notice that there are several places where 1 and 101 are the same road, then 1 splits off again. It can be easy to miss a fair-sized stretch of 1 that way.

Route looks promising minus the fact that it's routed around the beautiful coast entirely... I didn't know about this EV Trip Planner tool, thank you for the valuable resource!

I took a shot at the route too and this is what I came up with, detouring around the closure: ROUTE
This is assuming that Nacimiento-Fergusson Road is accessible to Lucia from 101 bound north.

Please let me know if this is a viable option!

Thanks for posting about this issue. I was completely unaware that this hadn't been fixed already. We waited YEARS for the landslide up here to be fixed, now we have a pretty tunnel THRU the mountain, never gonna be closed again. New Highway, New Car, Ready to drive to LA on Highway 1... Oops!

-Randy

Hey guys,

I’m planning a roadtrip next weekend to San Francisco from Los Angeles (and back) on my Model 3 and wanted to take the Pacific Coast Highway 1 on either the trip north or back south.

I know there is a closure halfway around Big Sur area which is unfortunate but heard there is a detour so I can still see much of the scenery and enjoy the drive. However, I’m horrible with directions and was wondering if any of you guys can help me plan this trip out...

Ideally I would like to start the trip from LA but if it makes more sense to do it on the way back down from SF that is fine too.

The range on the 3 is about 310mi on a full charge so I’m not too worried about reaching Superchargers but the detours might make that a challenge I assume.

Greatly appreciate any advice!

Hey how was the trip? What did you learn and can share for others thinking of doing something similar?

BTW for anyone traveling thru California this is a good site to have bookmarked and checking daily especially during fire season but also rainy season when muslides can occur or mudslides from snow melt.

CAL FIRE - California Statewide Fire Map

also helpful when planning along the Monterey area/Big Sur to check for events that are planned like bike races, Monterey Car Week, golf tournaments etc if you aren't going for that and don't want to be caught sitting in traffic. Laguna Secca Race Track is also near Monterey and if there's a big race like a Formula One for example it can draw big crowds. And yes, they are still working on rebuilding the highway around the Big Sur Coast.

If one wants to see some great coastline, if you have time, make it over to Hearst Castle. You'll have to backtrack still to get back on 101 but fabulous scenic views, interesting historical buildings and the Big Sur fires came very close to it but got stopped before reaching it (they were moving things out by van it was that close). But the views are still great. One of the IMax type theaters is on the property. Charming Cambria just south of there.

More trip ideas if you have time to explore:

Near the Buellton Supercharger is the town of Solvang. If you want to feel like you've travelled to another country you'll love walking around this Danish town taking in its thatched roofs and windmills and enjoying the food.

Along the coast along 101 south of San Luis Obisbo is the coastal town of Nipomo. The san dunes are there. There's a road you can drive to and park and then walk past the Oso Flaco Lake to reach the Pacific Ocean. Highly recommmend. I'll have to come back and post the specific way there. There is a boardwalk around the lake and through a good part of the dunes but expect to get sand in your shoes. It's a great moment as you climb over the last sandy hill and hear the ocean and then see it. Great place to picnic on the beach (no fires on the beach), grab some sun and watch the birds and boats and look for seashells.

Oh and the Dunes is also where they buried the ancient Egyptian monuments that were part of the set for the movie Cleopatra. There's a museum in town that tells about it and I think some pieces from the scenery on display. It was closed last time we were down there so still want to go back to see. Further north up the Dunes is a town where you can take your car on the beach (no way with our Tesla!) but you can rent ATVs and run them on the northern part of the Dunes.

Reactions: Russell