Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Rocker Panel Paint peeling off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So one day I was walking around my car and make sure my center cap on all my tire are still in, I noticed a mark on my R side rocker panel by FR door. I when ahead and touched the layer of paint just slide right off my car leaving base paint behind.
61127780249__B9D84206-4E34-4054-9419-DD2E9B9C7002%20%281%29.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
5/18/20
Body shop inspected the damage, the initial cost will be around 1k, and they have to sand down the spot to make sure it's not extend over the hard-line if it extended over the hard line will be another 2k, add to the total of 3k to repaint the rocker panel+ rear right fender. Inspection doc was send over to tesla

5/18/20 afternoon
Called Tesla Service Center Phone
First, it said that it might not cover under warranty but after I point out that this car is less than 6-month old and still has 1 year of new car warranty technical on the phone decided to look into it. after 20min on hold, tech Said this might not be under warranty since its a highly impacted area, but also say that i have to go to local SC or Virtual tech need more picture to approved or denied the warranty claim

It's not a plastic cover? I have one long piece between the two wheelhouses.
That area is painted metal.

To the OP: since you were able to easily flake it off with your finger... when it comes time to confront the Tesla inspector, just continue flaking that area with your fingernail to show how easily it comes off. This is not due to being in a "high impact area", it is due to the clearcoat delaminating from the basecoat, which is a factory flaw.

Reactions: Diamond Hills
I just picked up my car after getting a full front PPF today. All these paint threads make me want to get more areas covered.

Well keep in mind that only the problem cars are being posted here, which is a very small percentage of the total manufactured number of cars. Most Tesla owners are completely satisfied with the quality of their paint.

I just picked up my car after getting a full front PPF today. All these paint threads make me want to get more areas covered.
PPF on rockers is cheap, and easily doable for those inclined to try their hand at it. Just raise one side up on rhino ramps, and get a friend to help, as the rocker piece is long. However, if you're concerned about the rockers, the easiest and cheapest thing to do is put on mudflaps.

5/22/2020
I dropped off the car for some repair and asked them to inspect the paint for a warranty claim.
According to service, my paint damage is not covered under warranty, because I did not report when I took delivery of the car (what?)

Plan:
Find a third party paint shop for a repaint of the damaged area, any recommendation for paint shop in the bay area?

5/22/2020
I dropped off the car for some repair and asked them to inspect the paint for a warranty claim.
According to service, my paint damage is not covered under warranty, because I did not report when I took delivery of the car (what?)

Plan:
Find a third party paint shop for a repaint of the damaged area, any recommendation for paint shop in the bay area?

Lol what?? It's obvious the clear is delaminating which would be a paint defect.

Sure the paint has been inconsistent and chips easily, but I suppose they can argue their reasons for not fixing those issues. But delamination should never happen and for it to happen on a vehicle this new is unheard of for me. This would be a result from any number of factors during the refinish process and would be covered under the comprehensive warranty on any other new vehicle. I would try escalating your concern.

And a side note, if you do get it repainted whether through warranty or by another body shop do not settle for a hard line on the stone guard rocker line. It would be hard to have it perfectly seamless, but more importantly if you're having this issue already what's to say it's not going to continue about that stone guard line? I recommend finding a body shop that has lifetime warranty on their paint/repairs and have the whole rocker/quarter refinished/cleared. No solvent blend in the dog leg either..