Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Bar Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. A query regarding genuine model 3 roof bar installation.

I am finding the rear roof bar feet are making contact with the glass on the left hand side. I’m fixing it hand tight equally on both sides and then going to only 2Nm on a torque wrench to see where it ends up. No matter what I do the rear left pad always makes contact with the glass - which from watching YouTube videos is definitely to be avoided. The rear right does not.

I’ve tried tightening in different sequences, swapping out components, but nothing stops it squeezing down on the glass. The front bar does not do this.

Has anyone else had a similar challenge and can you share any thoughts?

FYI, non-OEM Farad Pro Wing Black Aluminium Roof Bars don't touch the glass at all and are a lot cheaper than the Tesla bars. They've done a sterling job holding our fully loaded Thule Motion XT box on for two long road trip holidays and are dead easy to get on and off.

• Informative
Reactions: BushtrimmmerJr
I’m just about to order the Farad ones mentioned above and I’ve just been trying to check if there’s any weight limit for the roof but I can’t seem to find anything in the manual other than if you’ve got X passengers then the total cargo weight is Y.

The Tesla ones mention a load limit of 68kg and the farad ones are 80kg. Am I right in assuming that they’re the acceptable limits for each product and am I best trying to stay below the 68kg just in case it’s the Tesla end of the connector that is the weakest point?

i.e. the roof can probably take more that 68kg but the roof bars will only carry 68kg.

I can’t imagine I’ll ever really need to carry that much but you never know.

I can't remember the figures now but I did the calculations when I bought mine. I added on the weight of the bars and the roof box and then weighed all the bags I was putting in the box. The total was well within the limits of both the bars and the total recommended car cargo load (including passengers). Done hundreds of miles with that load and no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: BushtrimmmerJr