Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack - best bike attachment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Model 3 owners with roof racks,

I've bought and installed the roof rack and love it - it was super simple and looks great. Now, I'm looking for a roof mounted bike rack system that will support 2 bikes (no issue if that means buying qty. 2 for optimal performance). I've seen a couple options from Thule (the Circuit Xt) and Yakima (the Forklift) but wanted to poll the crowd to see if anyone has one that is easy to install/remove and easy to throw the bike on to and/or any models/brands in particular to avoid.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Yakima Forklift Bike Mount.jpg

0CBBFBDB-0624-4A2C-B096-40446C256532.jpeg
I got the Yakima High Speed. The Tesla cross bars are made by Yakima, so with the TSlot adapter I didn’t have to use the straps to attach the rack to the bars. It makes taking it off and on a simple 2 minute process, and it looks better.

Reactions: Bwettt
View attachment 413605 I got the Yakima High Speed. The Tesla cross bars are made by Yakima, so with the TSlot adapter I didn’t have to use the straps to attach the rack to the bars. It makes taking it off and on a simple 2 minute process, and it looks better.
What did you do when installing the t-nuts in the slot? Did you cut out sections of the filler that is in the slot, or just compress it down under the nuts?

View attachment 413605 I got the Yakima High Speed. The Tesla cross bars are made by Yakima, so with the TSlot adapter I didn’t have to use the straps to attach the rack to the bars. It makes taking it off and on a simple 2 minute process, and it looks better.

Looks great eokie! I went with the Yakima Forklift - super easy install and works great so far. It'll have a big test with taking 2 bikes from South Carolina to Mass in July

I purchased the Thule ProRide XT. It came with the T nuts and other adapters. I just used the t nuts. Is that correct ? The cross bar lip doesn’t seem very thick and later when I took the Thule off I noticed small dents in from the pressure it exerted.

If not Thule any other recommendations for full upright racks that work well?

0cbbfbdb-0624-4a2c-b096-40446c256532-jpeg.413605

I got the Yakima High Speed. The Tesla cross bars are made by Yakima, so with the TSlot adapter
I didn’t have to use the straps to attach the rack to the bars. It makes taking it off and on a simple 2 minute process, and it looks better.

Look great! I noticed that the front cross bar is lower to the ground than the rear one.

Would you mind to show a profile view, or to measure the distance to the ground for the front and rear bar.

Last edited:
Just installed a Yakima High Road and a used Big mouth Uproad mount. Yakima rack is much higher quality but got them both from a local shop online for $200 bucks. With both bikes on im still getting around 285 wh/m with low wind noise doing 65mph. Great build thus far.

Attachments

• IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 1,239
How has the roof rack been for everyone? It seems many people have cracked their roof glass from them...

The OEM Telsa Roofrack is a near-perfect design for the car. Cracking the glass is not impossible but you would really have to crank it down. In the instructions, it states to only use 5-6nm? of torque unless its faulty glass imo it shouldnt break with a slight hand tighten with the alan wrench (use the short side).
Great look and easy installation though.

Here is another side shot of the Big Mouth Uproad mount. Got this one for around $60 from Road and Rack in Seattle. Really easy to set up and the fitment is great on the OEM Tesla Rails. highly recommend to anyone that is on the fence.

IMG_4047.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinT3141
Here is another side shot of the Big Mouth Uproad mount. Got this one for around $60 from Road and Rack in Seattle. Really easy to set up and the fitment is great on the OEM Tesla Rails. highly recommend to anyone that is on the fence.

View attachment 533143
Hey! Can you send me a couple close-up photos of where the bike rack attaches to the Tesla rails? I just got the same bike rack and I'm having trouble visualizing how it fits on without being jimmied or getting an adapter kit. Thanks!