Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack - Farad Pro Square Roof Bars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a roof rack for our Model 3 to put the bikes up on and potentially for a roof box for a couple of big trips. I know there will be a hit on efficiency but it will be worth it. The official OEM ones seem to be perpetually sold out. In a search for alternatives, I've come across these and I was wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to use them or heard anything about them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

They also have a wing model which I assume would be more aero friendly. I'm just not aware of third parties working with the in built mounting point on the Model 3 and was hoping to get some real world experience from folks on here

I'm considering getting a roof rack for our Model 3 to put the bikes up on and potentially for a roof box for a couple of big trips. I know there will be a hit on efficiency but it will be worth it. The official OEM ones seem to be perpetually sold out. In a search for alternatives, I've come across these and I was wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to use them or heard anything about them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I just bought a set of these… arrived today, so not been for a trial run. So far I’ve only fitted them so I could adjust the “legs” to the right position (as the bars, “legs” and rubber “feet” are separate parts of a kit. Putting it all together and mounting on the roof didn’t take long (about 45 mins) once I’d masters the whole “gently pull rubber seal aside while sliding the hooked bolt under” routine.

Got the bars early, to be ready in case I need to use the roof box for the summer holiday. Until now, dogs went in the boot and luggage in the roof box or back seats. With the M3, dogs are going in the back seat and luggage in the boot, but I didn’t want to find out too late that I still needed the roof box.

Attachments

• E4CB0C7D-389B-44AD-915F-17E06097E386.jpeg
    E4CB0C7D-389B-44AD-915F-17E06097E386.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 780
  • 9D5189F2-FF11-4F4D-AE03-B3EC50BE5D92.jpeg
    9D5189F2-FF11-4F4D-AE03-B3EC50BE5D92.jpeg
    833.1 KB · Views: 447
  • Informative
Reactions: drewpost
I just bought a set of these… arrived today, so not been for a trial run. So far I’ve only fitted them so I could adjust the “legs” to the right position (as the bars, “legs” and rubber “feet” are separate parts of a kit. Putting it all together and mounting on the roof didn’t take long (about 45 mins) once I’d masters the whole “gently pull rubber seal aside while sliding the hooked bolt under” routine.

Got the bars early, to be ready in case I need to use the roof box for the summer holiday. Until now, dogs went in the boot and luggage in the roof box or back seats. With the M3, dogs are going in the back seat and luggage in the boot, but I didn’t want to find out too late that I still needed the roof box.
I take it there isnt Amy weight on the glass there? In the Tesla ones they rest entirely on the metalwork, and just anchor under the glass, nothing touches the glass.

I take it there isnt Amy weight on the glass there? In the Tesla ones they rest entirely on the metalwork, and just anchor under the glass, nothing touches the glass.

I think I would be scared enough just using the Tesla ones! In the (hopefully unlikely) event of a glass disaster at least you have an argument for free replacement if using the official kit.

I think I would be scared enough just using the Tesla ones! In the (hopefully unlikely) event of a glass disaster at least you have an argument for free replacement if using the official kit.
Didn't Elon brag that the glass roofs could take the weight of 4 elephants? I suppose you have to load them on gently with slippers on their feet...

Thanks @geek1975 - much appreciated. I've just pulled the trigger on the wing ones as the bike racks I want come with the T slot adaptors I the box vs £24 extra for the square shape adaptors. Should arrive tomorrow and I'll try to get them set up for the weekend.

This forum is such a great resource. Thanks for your help!

@geek1975 Did you have trouble putting the plastic end caps back on the outside once secure to the roof? The bolt coming up from the fixings on the roof is too tall. When fit to the car, the bolt sticks up and prevents me from putting the end cap with the locking mechanism back onto the foot. See the image attached of the height of the bolt (ignore the fact it looks like it’s at an angle, that’s just a distortion from the camera wide angle lens). I can try to make it lower by loosening the nut but I can’t get it low enough so that the rack stays secure and the cap fits on and locks.

1622201816807.png

I did get that at first, until I realised the longer 2 bolts were for the front bar (as that has bigger rubber feet). I didn’t see that in the instructions. It was only after fitting the back bar with one long and one short bolt, I realised what I’d done.

The two from feet also have the twisted metal bars the bolts fit through, but at least that was shown on the diagrams so I got that right the first time.

Thanks @geek1975 - much appreciated. I've just pulled the trigger on the wing ones as the bike racks I want come with the T slot adaptors I the box vs £24 extra for the square shape adaptors. Should arrive tomorrow and I'll try to get them set up for the weekend.

This forum is such a great resource. Thanks for your help!
Hi Drewpost. I bought the aero bars but found my Thule bike carriers won’t mount to the bars as I guess they’re intended for smaller section bars.

Can you tell me which carrier are you using and which T slot adaptors?
Thanks.

Hi Drewpost. I bought the aero bars but found my Thule bike carriers won’t mount to the bars as I guess they’re intended for smaller section bars.

Can you tell me which carrier are you using and which T slot adaptors?
Thanks.
Hi @15Peter20 - I have the Thule ProRide 598s on mine and they worked out of the box with the “normal” t bar adapters that the bike racks ship with. I didn’t have to get anything special.

Attachments

• FA870797-8471-4AAF-9E5E-47D91DCC2046.jpeg
    FA870797-8471-4AAF-9E5E-47D91DCC2046.jpeg
    813 KB · Views: 418
  • 84C896A5-B0F4-48C3-9905-FA9BE029011A.jpeg
    84C896A5-B0F4-48C3-9905-FA9BE029011A.jpeg
    881.9 KB · Views: 476
Reactions: Cossa
I’m vacillating between the Farad wing version and the official Tesla racks.
Those with the Farad racks, how are they impacting efficiency?
thanks
Biggest problem is just getting hold of the Tesla bars.

I haven’t measured efficiency yet but noticed a lot of noise between 40 and 60 MPH, which won’t be helping the efficiency. I have since removed the bars for other reasons but plan to play around with the supplied bits of self-adhesive foam intended to reduce wind noise, when I refit them. There is quite a gap between the feet on the front bar and the roof which I intend to fill with more self adhesive foam. I don’t imagine that gap can be helping noise or efficiency.

Reactions: intactradio
T
Biggest problem is just getting hold of the Tesla bars.

I haven’t measured efficiency yet but noticed a lot of noise between 40 and 60 MPH, which won’t be helping the efficiency. I have since removed the bars for other reasons but plan to play around with the supplied bits of self-adhesive foam intended to reduce wind noise, when I refit them. There is quite a gap between the feet on the front bar and the roof which I intend to fill with more self adhesive foam. I don’t imagine that gap can be helping noise or efficiency.
Thanks. I might pony up for the Farad racks and see how they go. I can always remove them for long journeys. My biggest fear is cracking the roof…