Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack - Install issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to see if anyone has trouble getting their clip threads to meet the bolt? Chipped my glass trying to get the mount over the clip because the clip threads didn't rise high enough to meet the bolt. Rubber mount WAS seated properly to the crossbar. I took a wooden coffee stirrer to try to raise the clip under the gasket/weather strip and still no success. Now I have chipped glass and still no roof rack. Rear mounts were not problem, just the front.

Looking to see if anyone has trouble getting their clip threads to meet the bolt? Chipped my glass trying to get the mount over the clip because the clip threads didn't rise high enough to meet the bolt. Rubber mount WAS seated properly to the crossbar. I took a wooden coffee stirrer to try to raise the clip under the gasket/weather strip and still no success. Now I have chipped glass and still no roof rack. Rear mounts were not problem, just the front.
I had zero trouble. Can you post some detailed photos of the situation?

The glass was damaged when trying to maneuver the clip screw threw the hole. The edge is apparently very vulnerable. To do it again, I'd line the edge with electrical tape.

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpeg
    IMG_1363.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 273
You’re sure you don’t have it on backwards or haven’t swapped the fronts with the rears? Neither the angled clips nor the foot towers should ever come in contact with the glass.

I’d come take a look in person if we weren’t 3000 miles away.

Here is a closer look at mine…
FDDB4682-080A-4CFF-96B0-59E907294E8B.jpeg
8753D0DC-5AE7-4104-8C5A-EBC321448C51.jpeg
49FF35C8-2AAF-4557-977C-A5CA25447222.jpeg

Looks like theres a crack extending from the chip. I have a feeling that’s going to spread and will need to replace that glass.
As far as the rack. Some things to verify. Are the j hooks all the same length? They should be. Rubber pads and racks are location specific. Something that I can’t tell from the two pics. Did you install the 4 pads in the proper locations? Mix up the front and rear bars? As mentioned above….the pad/mount should not be contacting the glass.

Looks like theres a crack extending from the chip. I have a feeling that’s going to spread and will need to replace that glass.
As far as the rack. Some things to verify. Are the j hooks all the same length? They should be. Rubber pads and racks are location specific. Something that I can’t tell from the two pics. Did you install the 4 pads in the proper locations? Mix up the front and rear bars? As mentioned above….the pad/mount should not be contacting the glass.
I know the pads were in the proper place. I triple checked with the indicators underneath. I tried reversing the front bar 180 degrees. Maybe switched front for rear crossbars, but the rear went on no problem. The rear had less of an angle where the bar came out the mounts, the rise was more upright. The front had the steeper angle.
I'll find out tomorrow when I pick up the care from the Tesla shop. I had them replace the glass and install the roof racks. Thanks.

You’re sure you don’t have it on backwards or haven’t swapped the fronts with the rears? Neither the angled clips nor the foot towers should ever come in contact with the glass.

Here is a closer look at mine…View attachment 692308View attachment 692309View attachment 692310
Thanks. I'd have taken you up on the offer! I'll see how they/Tesla service did it tomorrow night after picking it up. I don't recall seeing my sunroof that far below the metal frame.

Reactions: ECTO-1

Here is a closer look at mine…View attachment 692308View attachment 692309View attachment 692310
I got the car back from the service center today. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Their installation looks just like yours. I had the crossbars in the correct spots. Maybe the rubber mounts were turned the wrong way? The sun roof is the same height/flush with the other glass, so it doesn't make sense it was higher before.

Reactions: ECTO-1
I was installing my roof rack on my Model 3 and when tightening my last fastener the glass shattered. It looks like there may be an internal clip missing or somehow I missed the clip and it pulled up on the glass. I've tried to get this clip to work since the glass already needs to be replaced but can't get the clip to attach to anything except the glass. Has anyone had this happen? Is this a Chinese manufacturing problem or my error?

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 196
  • measurement2.jpg
    measurement2.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 183
  • measurment1.jpg
    measurment1.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 192
I was installing my roof rack on my Model 3 and when tightening my last fastener the glass shattered. It looks like there may be an internal clip missing or somehow I missed the clip and it pulled up on the glass. I've tried to get this clip to work since the glass already needs to be replaced but can't get the clip to attach to anything except the glass. Has anyone had this happen? Is this a Chinese manufacturing problem or my error?

Have a picture of the arrow/lines that are in the glass? only way for us to really tell if the J bolt was inserted in the right place. Is that the front or rear clip?