Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options - Comparing Efficiencies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome stuff, thanks. I just got my roof rack - managed to order it in this month's 5 minutes of availability :) and will be installing to go kayaking soon. Great info!
I got the Tesla roof rack to haul my canoe, and based on the original post in this thread, I would anticipate a significant hit to range on an extended trip. What have you experienced? I have only had my Model 3 for a couple months now. Does the nav system "learn" the decreased range once you are under way and calculate more frequent charging stops?

Has anyone mounted a Skiguard Box before? I have one from a prior vehicle, but it's heavy in general at 55 pounds vs the ABS boxes. I know that the M3 static weight is rated for more, but wondering if the weight of the box itself will cause more stress on the 4 mounting points?

Skiguard's site only shows this for '19+ but I have a 2018, which to my knowledge is not different than the 2019 model.

I have a rooftop ski carrier that weighs around 52 lbs. The weight is not an issue as long as you are strong enough to put it up there (or have an assistant). The roof rack is rated for 150 lbs. and I've had more than that on the cross-bars - it's not a problem. I've even driven 130 mph with a 9 foot 6x6 lashed to the crossbars without issue.

The impact of a rooftop cargo box is not weight, it's aerodynamic drag. If used for highway travel the impact to range is considerable. I only have a 17 mile drive to my favorite ski area so it's a total non-issue but, on long freeway trips, it will significantly increase the charging required (and the length of each charge stop). If I was going on a skiing road trip to visit multiple ski areas and there were only two of us, I would put the skis/snowboards inside the cabin with one of the rear seats folded forward. Of course, this is how I did it when all I had were ICE cars too, in order to increase efficiency and performance.

Someone else calculated 2% range loss with bare Tesla bars, so that confirms your result.

I used to take off the roof rack for long trips. It's not difficult, but it's a bit scary. Photo will help you. From now on, the rack stays.

Screenshot_20220602-153343_Brave.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Whoa what happened?
Nothing….he was just posting a Pic to show what the J hook connects too. I had posted that pic a while ago in this thread. I used to install and remove the bars too…but gave up lol. Now I just leave them on.

Reactions: gt2690b
Nothing….he was just posting a Pic to show what the J hook connects too. I had posted that pic a while ago in this thread. I used to install and remove the bars too…but gave up lol. Now I just leave them on.

Muh bad I never learned to read.. I always took the roof rack on and off on my S… I’m about to buy the Y rack seems like I’d rather take it on and off?

Muh bad I never learned to read.. I always took the roof rack on and off on my S… I’m about to buy the Y rack seems like I’d rather take it on and off?

I guess it depends on how often you are going to use it. It doesn’t take long…but you just have to be careful every time you install it….as to not crack the glass. I mountain bike at least once a week…so it got old quick lol. The range Impact is small And not worth the hassle for me to keep removing it.

Reactions: Dave EV and gt2690b
The Model S designated rack mount location is not hidden under the glass, so it is not as difficult or risky to install and remove the rack as on a Model 3 or Model Y.

For the Model 3 in the US, there is also a Yakima aftermarket rack fit that clamps onto the drip rails and does not touch the roof glass. However, reinstallation of the Yakima BaseLine towers after removal requires full readjustment of the clamps, so it is not as quick of a process as with some other racks. There is also no similar Yakima aftermarket rack fit for the Model Y.