Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for some advice on carrying multiple kayaks and best mounting system with the new Model 3 rack system.

I am looking to buy some recreational kayaks for casual paddling only. From my house to the river it's a 3.5 mile drive on a private gravel road with posted speed of 15mph so I don't need to worry too much about serious aerodynamic forces etc. I want to get as many kayaks on the roof as possible with minimal installation hassle. 2 seems easy with J hooks but I wonder if you could fit 3 with J hooks or even 4 with other systems depending on the depth of the kayaks?

Here is an example of 3 using using the Model S with what looks like 2 J hooks and some sort of foam block mount between? Kayak on roof rack Whispbar
p1060122-jpg.185580

The width between towers of Tesla's rack would seem to be the limiting factor in how many Kayaks you could stack across on their sides. From the other thread on installation, Installing the official Tesla model 3 roof rack
the distance between the two towers will be 50 inch at the front and 46 inches at the back.

How about with a product like the Thule Stacker which could hold up to 4?
Thule The Stacker

Here's another one from Sport Rack that holds 4:

Neither of these seem to use the T slot feature of the Tesla rack which seems like a nice option/cleaner install than typical clamp-on styles.

Appreciate any advice on the subject.

Last edited:
Ooooo nvm just shipped for me. Fedex.

It's back in stock - just ordered! I think they do this on purpose to generate excitement - I was literally racing through the ordering screens scream "Take my money!"

And for the record... I did not have TMC notifications on, so simply dumb luck that I found it!

Ordered it yesterday..... just received my shipped confirmation !!!! Yeah !!!

I also received my shipping notice.

Please feedback if you see any changes to installation instructions and/or hardware as opposed to what it was like previously. Change to the lug nut length perhaps?

I'm looking for some advice on carrying multiple kayaks and best mounting system with the new Model 3 rack system.
Appreciate any advice on the subject.

If you don't mind a bit of Jed Clampett, you could use the T-slots to attach a 2x4 of any length, and then bolt up as many kayak carriers as you'd like. At that point you aren't limited to keeping the gear between the towers. You're only limited to the total weight up there at that point. Honestly though... I think it's time for a lightweight trailer.

Reactions: NeverFollow
If you don't mind a bit of Jed Clampett, you could use the T-slots to attach a 2x4 of any length, and then bolt up as many kayak carriers as you'd like. At that point you aren't limited to keeping the gear between the towers. You're only limited to the total weight up there at that point. Honestly though... I think it's time for a lightweight trailer.

Thanks. A trailer would be nice. I DIY-installed a hidden hitch on the Model S but haven't on the 3.

Looks great. I have the same box on my SUV. Can you give a quick review of noise/range issues with this setup?

Looks great. I have the same box on my SUV. Can you give a quick review of noise/range issues with this setup?
There a is slight air “whooshing” noise above 20 MPH, but it isn’t bad. Similar to the noise while flying in a propeller commuter plane. I tried to un-scientifically estimate a range/efficiency difference last night on a 15 mile drive that included about 1/2 freeway speeds of 60-70 mph, but could not discern a greater inefficiency just eyeballing the energy usage chart on the M3’s screen. I’m sure there is an efficiency loss, but the Yakima Lo Skybox Carbonite appears to be pretty aerodynamic. I need to do more precise/scientific analysis than just eyeballing the energy usage chart. But it seems to not have a drastic downward effect on efficiency.

View attachment 376683

Just installed yesterday and slapped on the Yakima Fatcat 6. Getting some wind noise (whistling) around 70mph. Anything else I can do to minimize the noise?

I just installed the FatCat 6 also and took it out for a spin to see what wind noise and efficiency hit were going to be like. I agree with the whistling at higher speed. Not sure what we can do about that. I also expect it's going to be a material hit to efficiency/range. 10-15%?

Looks like you are using the T-slot? How did you get the T-slot bolts into the rack? I find it impossible to slide the bolts into the roof rack.

I just installed the FatCat 6 also and took it out for a spin to see what wind noise and efficiency hit were going to be like. I agree with the whistling at higher speed. Not sure what we can do about that. I also expect it's going to be a material hit to efficiency/range. 10-15%?

Looks like you are using the T-slot? How did you get the T-slot bolts into the rack? I find it impossible to slide the bolts into the roof rack.

I used a little WD-40 and smeared it across the rubber lining. Still required some elbow grease, but overall pretty easy.

I know aero bars don't necessarily need fairings, but I wonder if that would further decrease wind noise.