Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aw man, I still don't have a shipment notification... Bummer.

I am debating a box vs. FatCat 6. They are pretty similar in pricing in all reality (especially used), but I am limited in storage options.

I went with the FatCat6. It fits perfectly. If you need the cargo space (e.g., if you are going up with 4 people and don't have enough trunk space, a cargo box may be the way to go. I considered it also, but decided to go with the FatCat 6. It's easier to install and remove, doesn't take up any space when not in use, and I expect more aerodynamic than a box. There are only 3 in our family, so we have plenty of room in the trunk with one seat folded down for the rest of our ski stuff.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I went with the FatCat6. It fits perfectly. If you need the cargo space (e.g., if you are going up with 4 people and don't have enough trunk space, a cargo box may be the way to go. I considered it also, but decided to go with the FatCat 6. It's easier to install and remove, doesn't take up any space when not in use, and I expect more aerodynamic than a box. There are only 3 in our family, so we have plenty of room in the trunk with one seat folded down for the rest of our ski stuff.

There are only the two of us, and then a couple friends who might carpool. I think the racks might be more aerodynamic empty, but once you put a couple snowboards and skis on it, I think that's all lost.

Have any pics of it with the FatCat on them? I might just need to go back a few pages...

So I reached out about a potential shipping date. Here was their response... So instead of watching the website for stock to replenish, I'm watching my email for stock to replenish and I'm out almost $700...

Thanks for contacting Tesla.

Unfortunately, the item in question is temporarily out of stock. Our expected replenishment is overdue, but the target date for shipping is in the next couple of weeks.

The item will dispatch automatically when stock is replenished. You’ll receive an automated email upon dispatch with tracking information.

The wait for spring break up begins. Tesla shipped me a floor mat forfa Model 3 instead of roof rack. Roof rack came the next day. Pretty quiet I might add.
IMG_20190214_172611_050.jpg

The wait for spring break up begins. Tesla shipped me a floor mat for a Model 3 instead of roof rack.
Did you get a free floor mat?
Roof rack came the next day. Pretty quiet I might add.
img_20190214_172611_050-jpg.377427
What kind of straps and kayak holder do you use?

Also, how do you attach the straps to the car body at the front and the rear?
- Do you use some 'Quick Loops' ?

41Uz0CrXLJL.jpg

Did you get a free floor mat?

What kind of straps and kayak holder do you use?

Hood Anchor
KeelOver

Would really stress that the hood anchor not be pulled too tight. Don't want any bent hood issues. The bow attachment is more of a guide comes to wind rather than a wrench it down type of attachment. If one has only the bow and stern attachments left to hold to car. Well some other big mistakes were made along the way.

I have short term access to a closed loop and tested the canoe up to 80 in various positions both fore and aft. This sounded the best. Made a tape mark on canoe so I get repeatable outcomes.

Really clean lines for a roof rack. If you are handy and can follow directions I see no need for a trip to the SC for install. Did not use a torque wrench. I just tightened till it stopped moving around on car roof. Then another half turn to get the line to match up to enable locking.

I ended up selling the floor mat to a coworker. Tesla is going to charge me for it after quite an explanation. It just seemed kind of a waste to ship it back at someone's expense, and then for them to ship it again to someone else that wanted to buy it. When I knew someone that wanted to buy one that parks next to me every day. Little less fossil fuel burned:)

For those who've already installed their racks: please chime in with your experiences with wind noise.

I've mounted the FatCat 6 via T-slot and have been getting some mild wind noise in the 50mph and then 70mph range. Anyone experiment with a wind deflector/fairing?

I get some minimal amount of wind "whooshing" but that is to be expected with a rack, especially with a glass roof. Nothing I can't live with and I am generally happy with the overall amount of "wind turbulence" noise.

I also am getting some periodic whistling and that is bothering me more. That whistling might keep me from leaving the rack on full time if I cannot remedy it. Sometimes it starts even at lower speeds of 25-30 mph. I suspect this is coming from a gap in the cover plates (which do not secure completely tight) but I have not had the time to isolate the cause yet. If I can fix that then I would be fine keeping the rack on semi-permanently.

I have not had the rack on yet for long road trips or extensive highway miles so I can't be sure on that.

Still waiting on mine, and I have since had a two ski days where I've had to sit in the back of a friends Golf R since they have racks and a box!

What's worse is someone locally is selling a pair on CL - at some point I am simply going to request a refund...

I tried adding a Yakima fairing to my FatCat 6 but it didn’t help the noise. It actually seemed to make it worse because the Yakima fairing is fairly short and left a thin gap between the fairing and the rack setup for wind to whistle through. I only tested it closely with boards loaded, the boards seem to make the overall noise a lower frequency and less annoying anyways. You get a higher pitch when no boards are mounted but the FatCat is easy to just remove.

FWIW on my old SeaSucker setup the fairing absolutely brought down the frequency of the noise and made it much more pleasant to use, relatively speaking.

I was skiing at Sugarbush in Vermont this past weekend and saw another Model 3 pull in to the charging spots. He had the factory racks with skis on top. I asked him how he liked the racks, and he seemed to really like them. He said that he got a note from Tesla stating that they would be sending him new clips as the current ones are failing. I wonder if they have stopped selling the racks until the new stronger clips are available.

Sugarbush has 9 destination chargers, on the weekends they seem well used. There were five Teslas charging up this past weekend, and eight the previous weekend. Its great to see so many EV's being used in the Northeast.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I ordered the rack February 10th (3 weeks ago) and my credit card was charged the full amount plus shipping. Having received no information on shipping, I reached out to customer service and received the following response today:

"Thanks for contacting Tesla.
Unfortunately, the Model 3 Roof Rack remains temporarily out of stock. We are aiming for end of March regarding a restock date. You will receive an email once your order has shipped.
If you would like, you may wait until we have received our replenishment and are able to process your order for shipment, or you may cancel your order up until the point of processing for a return of funds to the original form of payment."

I ordered the rack February 10th (3 weeks ago) and my credit card was charged the full amount plus shipping. Having received no information on shipping, I reached out to customer service and received the following response today:

"Thanks for contacting Tesla.
Unfortunately, the Model 3 Roof Rack remains temporarily out of stock. We are aiming for end of March regarding a restock date. You will receive an email once your order has shipped.
If you would like, you may wait until we have received our replenishment and are able to process your order for shipment, or you may cancel your order up until the point of processing for a return of funds to the original form of payment."

I just emailed and asked for a refund. After tax it was nearly 700 Canadian Pesos - almost as much as the deposit I put on the car years ago. I told them if I couldn't expect something in the next couple weeks that I would rather buy a pair locally, but now that I see they might be replacing clips I am probably better off waiting on the new set.

All in all it comes down to the fact that I don't need to spend $700 right now to receive roof racks in April and store them until next winter. By the time they show up, I'll only have a few local ski days left anyways... and not always days where I need to bring 3 passengers along.

I emailed again to get an update sine I ordered/paid on Feb 10 with still no rack. Was told the roof rack is "now looking at least another month out".

So, that probably means at least two months before they arrive in Europe with the shipping delay. Of course they'll probably sell out in the US immediately so will have to drive the ICE car for road trips this summer anyway.
Disappointing Tesla.