Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are mounting points for the glass roof in the weatherstrip area. (see the < )
9F4925BB-9FB9-415F-BCF2-3BB8F16AF4EA.jpeg
69BD6603-ACB9-4A46-95E1-3A45FAF898CE.jpeg

Or use a suction cup set up, but you could just wait for Tesla or Thule to figure it out.

B760E14F-EFB6-45FA-98CB-384F372746CD.jpeg
587599AB-D7E9-4F15-B2C1-67E069B9D2B6.jpeg

Here is a Tesla testing:

tesla-model-3-roof-rack1.jpg

Thanks for the info! So Tesla put in the mounts, but no one have developed a rack yet? I'm not sure about trusting my carbon fibre bikes to suction cups. ;)
I'm sure Tesla will offer a factory option you can buy from the online store. It's just not available yet.

And in regards to the "suction cup" mounts, the Seasucker brand are actually quite good for mounts.
SeaSucker

2 Tesla sales people have said that racks will only connect in to the Model 3 on the solid roof version (not glass roof). I see the photo above, but anybody hear anything different lately direct from a Tesla person? At the very least, bundling the glass roof with the premium package is a product management "miss" due to this rack issue.

I need to haul my longboard, hopefully they have a solution soon. Using the suction cups sounds dangerous
I actually had a sea sucker roof rack I used for hauling my longboards. Eventually 2 of the suction cups failed. They are expensive to replace when they go down and quite frankly, the warranty is crap. Only one year, which I assure you they will fail after one year. An additional mount will cost you between 50-70 dollars each depending on the size. Not a very good product for the cost. But they are the only game in town for cars without rack mounts. Still safer than soft racks too.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro and Joelc
2 Tesla sales people have said that racks will only connect in to the Model 3 on the solid roof version (not glass roof). I see the photo above, but anybody hear anything different lately direct from a Tesla person? At the very least, bundling the glass roof with the premium package is a product management "miss" due to this rack issue.
Most sales people do not know anything more than what we hear on the forum. Sometimes they know even less..:rolleyes:

I wrote to Thule regarding a roof rack for hauling a sea kayak and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Thule Group and for your patience. We are currently working diligently to design the safest, most secure installation for this vehicle. Please check back with us again in a few weeks! Sorry for any inconveniences.

One other clue on roof racks is in the Tesla 3 Owner's manual:

Roof Racks Model 3 supports the use of Tesla-approved roof racks using a Tesla mounting accessory. To install roof racks, you must use this accessory and you must use only roof rack systems that have been approved by Tesla (see Parts and Accessories on page 126). Failure to do so can cause significant damage. Note: Mounting accessories and roof rack systems may not be available at time of vehicle purchase

I'm hoping they have mounting accessories soon - not having a roof rack is going to greatly impact me. i panicked the other day when the salesperson told me that the Model 3 doesn't have the mounting points like the S. but someone showed me the first two pics in this thread and i was relieved. suction cups aren't gonna work for me - no way those hold up with a cargo box.

I attended the Sea Otter Classic today at Laguna Seca Raceway outside of Monterey. For those who don't know, it's an annual collection of bicycle races for all ability levels, as well as a way for manufacturers to showcase their latest stuff. Some of my findings.
1) The Seasucker system is a "vacuum mount" system that is a lot more sturdy than you'd think it would be for "suction cups." I've seen them over the years, and they've really got a few nice setups.
2) I spoke with Yakima about their Model S racks. They are making what are now Tesla-branded roof racks for the Model S. (It used to be Whispbar, a company that Yakima bought a few years back, and has since folded them into their own product line).
3) Maybe of most interest to you, Yakima also stated that they are testing their Tesla Model 3 racks. I didn't hear anything about dates, but it appears that they are working directly with Tesla.
4) My time talking with Thule was mainly about potentially getting a new set of "feet" for my current Thule rack system, so that I could install it on my Model S. They do have such fitting available.
Cheers!

I attended the Sea Otter Classic today at Laguna Seca Raceway outside of Monterey. For those who don't know, it's an annual collection of bicycle races for all ability levels, as well as a way for manufacturers to showcase their latest stuff. Some of my findings.
1) The Seasucker system is a "vacuum mount" system that is a lot more sturdy than you'd think it would be for "suction cups." I've seen them over the years, and they've really got a few nice setups.
2) I spoke with Yakima about their Model S racks. They are making what are now Tesla-branded roof racks for the Model S. (It used to be Whispbar, a company that Yakima bought a few years back, and has since folded them into their own product line).
3) Maybe of most interest to you, Yakima also stated that they are testing their Tesla Model 3 racks. I didn't hear anything about dates, but it appears that they are working directly with Tesla.
4) My time talking with Thule was mainly about potentially getting a new set of "feet" for my current Thule rack system, so that I could install it on my Model S. They do have such fitting available.
Cheers!
Thanks, this is very helpful. My current setup is Yakima skyline so I really need just the landing pad "feet pack" but I am relieved to hear that Yakima (and Thule) are actively working on it.

yet on the model s, you had to get the pano roof for roof racks. i think model 3 glass roof does have roof rack capability, hopefully will see in the future

FYI all, got this from Yakima support today: "I've spoken with our Automotive Team and we are in the design phase for the Model 3 roof rack. We are looking at a January 2019 time frame."

Not sure why it takes well over a year to design a roof rack...
These things take time. For one thing they may not have started development until recently. Even if they started a while ago, they have to create prototypes and test them under a variety of conditions including different load types, wind conditions, etc.

Even if the suction cup mount is solid (no reason to believe otherwise), I'd be a little concerned about the stress that it would put on the glass. Maybe a needless worry but it seems like it would really yank on the glass at any type of speed putting a lot of stress on the adhesive that holds the glass in place.

Reactions: dgaultiere