Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD 2022 Efficiency - Canberra to Sydney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I took delivery of my 2022 Model 3 RWD on the 24th Feb 2022. Since then just been driving around Canberra. Finally on Saturday decided to take it for a long drive to Sydney and back to get a feel for driving at highway speed plus managing recharging aspects.

So I tried to take as detailed records to give others some idea on efficiency of the new model 3 RWD.

- Canberra to Sydney with stopover at Goulburn

~SOC on departing: 100%
~Temperature: 18 degrees with clear sky (very good conditions)
~Reached Goulburn with below stats (see screenshot below)

SOC: 75%
Distance: 107 kms
Total Energy: 15Kwh
Avg Energy: 138 Wh/km

~ Recharged at Goulburn Chargefox charger to 85% SOC and continued journey to Sydney
~ Reached Sydney (Parramatta area) with below stats (see screenshot below)

SOC: 52%
Distance: 279 kms
Total Energy: 34Kwh
Avg Energy: 123 Wh/km

~ Goulburn to Sydney journey stats are as follows (Going downhill is great :) )

Distance: 171 kms
Total Energy: 20Kwh
Avg Energy: 114 Wh/km

------------------------------------------------------ Return leg same day

- Sydney to Canberra with stopover at Goulburn

~SOC on departing: 80%
~Temperature: 22 degrees with clear sky (very good condition)
~Reached Goulburn with below stats (see screenshot below) - (Going uphill is not so great :( )

SOC: 32%
Distance: 172 kms
Total Energy: 26Kwh
Avg Energy: 153 Wh/km

~ Recharged at Goulburn Chargefox charger to 45% SOC and continued journey to Canberra
~ Reached Canberra with below stats (see screenshot below)

SOC: 21%
Distance: 273 kms
Total Energy: 40Kwh
Avg Energy: 147 Wh/km

~ Goulburn to Canberra journey stats are as follows

Distance: 101 kms
Total Energy: 14Kwh
Avg Energy: 137 Wh/km

------------------ Additional Info

Car was following speed limit most of the time. Although because of the traffic the speed was constantly fluctuating between 100 to 110kms. HVAC was used as and when needed temperature was set to 19 degrees. Total 3 passengers (2 adults and 1 kid) with couple of light weight bags

----------------- Final thoughts

I think 2022 M3 RWD with bigger battery can do both legs of the Canberra to Sydney journey on one charge if starting at around 100% SOC when weather conditions are favourable (have to do another trip middle of winter to see how it goes then).

I stopped at Goulburn mostly as a safety because it was my first long distance trip and I wanted to have good buffer and get myself familiarised using high speed DC chargers.

Hope you found above useful.

Any questions fire them away.

I took delivery of my 2022 Model 3 RWD on the 24th Feb 2022. Since then just been driving around Canberra. Finally on Saturday decided to take it for a long drive to Sydney and back to get a feel for driving at highway speed plus managing recharging aspects.

So I tried to take as detailed records to give others some idea on efficiency of the new model 3 RWD.

That’s pretty good efficiency. As you discovered, there‘s a significant difference between going uphill vs down 😄

LR is not as efficient as RWD as it is heavier, even then my lifetime average is 157 Wh/km which I think is pretty good and is not much worse than my much lighter and much shorter range Nissan Leaf (142 Wh/km) which rarely gets to travel above 90 km/h.

I did Sydney (Chatswood) to Canberra over the Easter long weekend in my SR+ 60kW/h, this time without the aero wheel covers and both times departing with 100% SOC and going non-stop.

Chatswood - Canberra
KM: 289.9
kW/h: 41
Wh/km: 140
Arrival SOC: 29%

This efficiency going to Canberra was better than expected I'd say due to the traffic leaving Sydney keeping me at around 100km/h all the way until the Bowral exit.

Canberra - Gladesville
KM: 280.7
kW/h: 36
Wh/km: 130
Arrival SOC: 35%

Again I was surprised with the efficiency as due to the low amount of traffic on Sunday I pretty much stuck to 110km/h the entire way, but accept that since it was down hill that the numbers were better. Both trips took around 3hrs 20mins, which even with autopilot assistance are at the limit of my comfort (mental, leg stretch, and bio-break) for non-stop driving legs.

A question (which I hope won't start a senseless RWD vs LR debate), what is it that causes the LR to have such a higher Wh/km?

A couple of weeks ago I did a Sydney - Canberra run which used 57kWh on that leg in an LR. Obviously it wasn't too cold, but had high winds and rain for much of the trip. It's by far the worst consumption I've seen so far, but shows how much the weather can affect things. It was still an easy trip in the LR without charging, but in an SR or RWD a short stop in Goulburn in bad weather is probably a good idea.

This is from my Nov 2021 Unicorn

Easter Trip.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I did a Sydney - Canberra run which used 57kWh on that leg in an LR. Obviously it wasn't too cold, but had high winds and rain for much of the trip. It's by far the worst consumption I've seen so far, but shows how much the weather can affect things. It was still an easy trip in the LR without charging, but in an SR or RWD a short stop in Goulburn in bad weather is probably a good idea.
How many kW/h does the LR use in normal weather?
And in a 2019/2020 SR+ think a Goulburn stop is essential.
That's what ABRP thinks, however I'm no light foot and with just relying on TACC managed to only need 41kW/h on the uphill leg.

A lot depends where you start/end in Sydney. I'm in the Northern Beaches which makes for a longer trip than places like Chatswood. Worst in my LR Syd-Can was 56kwhrs in lousy weather & strong winds. More normally around 48kwhrs.

Return to Sydney in good weather about ten days ago was 45kwhrs. Speed limit all the way. Aircon on. Two persons. Light load. 131Whr/km Goulburn to home (240km).

A good average which I use as a starting point for my LR (MIC 2021 with LG battery) is about 440km with the majority being highway cruising at 110km/hr. Then I allow extra for winds, loads, rain. Plus I use ABRP and it has usually been pessimistic versus reality (which I prefer).

That's what ABRP thinks, however I'm no light foot and with just relying on TACC managed to only need 41kW/h on the uphill leg.
Point of order - it's "kWh", not "kW/h" - a time rate of energy use multiplied by time, giving energy. / implies dividing instead.

41kWh for the 300km uphill from Sydney to Canberra is great going, especially if climate control was on.

I did Sydney (Chatswood) to Canberra over the Easter long weekend in my SR+ 60kW/h, this time without the aero wheel covers and both times departing with 100% SOC and going non-stop.

Chatswood - Canberra
KM: 289.9
kW/h: 41
Wh/km: 140
Arrival SOC: 29%

This efficiency going to Canberra was better than expected I'd say due to the traffic leaving Sydney keeping me at around 100km/h all the way until the Bowral exit.

Canberra - Gladesville
KM: 280.7
kW/h: 36
Wh/km: 130
Arrival SOC: 35%

Again I was surprised with the efficiency as due to the low amount of traffic on Sunday I pretty much stuck to 110km/h the entire way, but accept that since it was down hill that the numbers were better. Both trips took around 3hrs 20mins, which even with autopilot assistance are at the limit of my comfort (mental, leg stretch, and bio-break) for non-stop driving legs.

A question (which I hope won't start a senseless RWD vs LR debate), what is it that causes the LR to have such a higher Wh/km?
I think you live in my building - I see your car with Canberra number plates and a white tesla like your image :p

Hello

- Canberra to Sydney with stopover at Goulburn

~SOC on departing: 100%
~Temperature: 18 degrees with clear sky (very good conditions)
~Reached Goulburn with below stats (see screenshot below)

SOC: 75%
Distance: 107 kms
Total Energy: 15Kwh
Avg Energy: 138 Wh/km

~ Recharged at Goulburn Chargefox charger to 85% SOC and continued journey to Sydney
~ Reached Sydney (Parramatta area) with below stats (see screenshot below)

SOC: 52%
Distance: 279 kms
Total Energy: 34Kwh
Avg Energy: 123 Wh/km

~ Goulburn to Sydney journey stats are as follows (Going downhill is great :) )

Distance: 171 kms
Total Energy: 20Kwh
Avg Energy: 114 Wh/km

------------------------------------------------------ Return leg same day

- Sydney to Canberra with stopover at Goulburn

~SOC on departing: 80%
~Temperature: 22 degrees with clear sky (very good condition)
~Reached Goulburn with below stats (see screenshot below) - (Going uphill is not so great :( )

SOC: 32%
Distance: 172 kms
Total Energy: 26Kwh
Avg Energy: 153 Wh/km

~ Recharged at Goulburn Chargefox charger to 45% SOC and continued journey to Canberra
~ Reached Canberra with below stats (see screenshot below)

SOC: 21%
Distance: 273 kms
Total Energy: 40Kwh
Avg Energy: 147 Wh/km

~ Goulburn to Canberra journey stats are as follows

Distance: 101 kms
Total Energy: 14Kwh
Avg Energy: 137 Wh/km

------------------ Additional Info

Car was following speed limit most of the time. Although because of the traffic the speed was constantly fluctuating between 100 to 110kms. HVAC was used as and when needed temperature was set to 19 degrees. Total 3 passengers (2 adults and 1 kid) with couple of light weight bags

----------------- Final thoughts

I think 2022 M3 RWD with bigger battery can do both legs of the Canberra to Sydney journey on one charge if starting at around 100% SOC when weather conditions are favourable (have to do another trip middle of winter to see how it goes then).

I stopped at Goulburn mostly as a safety because it was my first long distance trip and I wanted to have good buffer and get myself familiarised using high speed DC chargers.

Hope you found above useful.

Any questions fire them away.
Wow. Thanks a, million for these detailed stats. Really very helpful.

Reactions: hravani
I did Sydney (Turramurra) to Canberra and return over Anzac day weekend in Tesla model 3 LR (Dual motor), and my overall figures were:
691km, 105 kwh, 152 Wh/km.

I left Sydney with 95% charge, and easily got to Canberra in one go with about 27% remaining. 110 kmh almost all the way. Would have driven 80km or so around Canberra during the time I was there.

Reactions: hravani and OzVic