Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD is coming - question on the delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

theocguy

M3RWD - MSM/BLK/OD:03/22/Picked up 10/31/2022
Feb 11, 2022
Southern CA
Hi All,

After a long waiting, I have received the VIN for M3RWD on Sunday 10/16 afternoon. I just got a text today (10/19) that the car is in transit to my local delivery center.
It is exciting and nervous about getting a new car (the last time we purchased a new car was 2014).

I had read a lot of posts about the completing tasks for pre-delivery order.

I have few questions thou:
1. I will be applying the Loan from credit union. For the final payment, can I take the check from the credit union and then hand it to Tesla on the date I take delivery?
2. I have read that people took 2 checks (1 from the bank, and 1 personal bank check for the remaining amount). However, Tesla wanted to take 1 check as a final total amount. What is the best way to pay the final payment to Tesla?
3. I know we would have to pay for the final payment and take the delivery before we can get into the car to check it. Any tips/advices that get the Tesla delivery center to allow to check inside the car before accepting the delivery? I do know one youtube got the Tesla to allow him check inside the car prior the final payment to be completed. May be he was a lucky one.

Thanks.

Congratulations!

1. Thats what I did (bank check from navy fed credit union, cashiers check for down payment... and my cashiers check for down payment was the larger of the two)

2. See above, I took two checks both times (in 2018 and in March of 2022 for my wifes model Y). It was no issue at all.

3. At the new Temecula delivery center, they let me look inside the car before we handed them the checks, but I also did not "whip out" a checklist / paper form that looked like I was going to go over the car for an hour. I spent about 5 minutes walking around the outside, casually asked my delivery person "hey can I take a quick peek inside, then we can go finish with the checks" and they said " sure opened the door for me.

No idea if thats discretionary, or by delivery center, etc, but I suspect if I had some checklist looking thing they probably would not have been as accommodating (but thats just a guess).

Congratulations!

1. Thats what I did (bank check from navy fed credit union, cashiers check for down payment... and my cashiers check for down payment was the larger of the two)

2. See above, I took two checks both times (in 2018 and in March of 2022 for my wifes model Y). It was no issue at all.

3. At the new Temecula delivery center, they let me look inside the car before we handed them the checks, but I also did not "whip out" a checklist / paper form that looked like I was going to go over the car for an hour. I spent about 5 minutes walking around the outside, casually asked my delivery person "hey can I take a quick peek inside, then we can go finish with the checks" and they said " sure opened the door for me.

No idea if thats discretionary, or by delivery center, etc, but I suspect if I had some checklist looking thing they probably would not have been as accommodating (but thats just a guess).
Thanks for your feedback.

I checked with Tesla that if I do the finance, I would need to provide them the bank name and $ for the financing. Did you do the "cash" payment as you had checks to provide to them?

Any specific information I should put on the bank check / cashier check? My SA said I would need to pay out to "Tesla, Inc." and put the RN number in the memo.

Thanks for your feedback.

I checked with Tesla that if I do the finance, I would need to provide them the bank name and $ for the financing. Did you do the "cash" payment as you had checks to provide to them?

Any specific information I should put on the bank check / cashier check? My SA said I would need to pay out to "Tesla, Inc." and put the RN number in the memo.
I had selected cash while I was waiting, but when they contacted me with a vin number I told them "Oh, I have decided to finance this through my credit union (in the text message they gave me letting me know about the vin / delivery).

They then said "oh ok can you tell us the institution and amount so we can update the MVPA?" I replied with the institution, and amount I was financing with the bank check (and amount left over that was the down payment).

They updated the MVPA and I looked at it to make sure it said what I wanted it to say (amounts).

As for information on the bank check / cashiers check, the bank check will have specific instructions, dont fill it out till you are there and follow the instructions in the bank check packet you pick up from your finance institution. The cashiers check I put Tesla inc, and the RN number in the memo field.

Thats how I did mine, and I had no issues. Entire pickup process for my wifes model Y in march was about 25 minutes, and I could have been in and out of there in like 10 minutes had I wished to... unlike every BMW that I leased, which was like 45 minutes in the finance office even after agreeing to terms online, with them trying to get me to buy service plans, warranties, etc, and making "mistakes" in the numbers that always seemed to be in their favor.

They updated the MVPA and I looked at it to make sure it said what I wanted it to say (amounts).
Where did you find out the updated MVPA?
I thought there would be a list of instruction from MVPA on how I can instruct the bank to do the wire transfer.

It looks like you took out the loan in a form of check and not wire to Tesla. Is it correct?

The way my credit union (Navy Federal Credit union) does car loans is in the form of a bank check. I wouldnt have wanted to wire any money anyway, since I wanted to at least physically see the car before handing over any money and in CA we can do that. You dont get the updated MVPA until after you tell them the amount(s) you are financing and putting down, but it should be in your account.

The way my credit union (Navy Federal Credit union) does car loans is in the form of a bank check. I wouldnt have wanted to wire any money anyway, since I wanted to at least physically see the car before handing over any money and in CA we can do that. You dont get the updated MVPA until after you tell them the amount(s) you are financing and putting down, but it should be in your account.
i see they have update the amount due today (my down payment) and the financed amount. basically, can I just go to the bank with the VIN number and the car information from Tesla, and apply for the loan and take the check from them? re: bank check, you said you did not fill it out until you were at the delivery center and basically follow the instruction from the bank that provided to you.

I am still confused on how to apply for the loan in bank directly. Would I need to have any other information from Tesla to do that?

I agree with you that I will not want to wire any money ahead of time, so if I can have a check on hand, it will be much easier.

i see they have update the amount due today (my down payment) and the financed amount. basically, can I just go to the bank with the VIN number and the car information from Tesla, and apply for the loan and take the check from them? re: bank check, you said you did not fill it out until you were at the delivery center and basically follow the instruction from the bank that provided to you.

I am still confused on how to apply for the loan in bank directly. Would I need to have any other information from Tesla to do that?

I agree with you that I will not want to wire any money ahead of time, so if I can have a check on hand, it will be much easier.

Different financial institutions handle it differently. I applied for my loan like 30-45 days before I actually picked up the bank check from them. I applied, got approved and locked in the interest rate at that time. With NFCU, if you have an approved loan it shows up on your account if you bank with them (and I do) so I just walked into my local branch, told them I was ready to pick up my bank check for my auto loan, and they printed it out and gave it to me (a packet).

I dont know who you are using, but they are all going to have slightly different processes and you should likely already know what your chosen institutions process is ( and have applied for the loan to get approved). Of course, most institutions will allow you to apply in person if you bank there but it wont be faster than applying ahead of time online if they allow that.

I was giving you how NFCU works, with the bank check) and how tesla works, but I dont know how your chosen financial institution will want to do their part of processing your loan application and allocating the money for your loan. You need to figure that part out with them if you dont iknow it already.

Different financial institutions handle it differently. I applied for my loan like 30-45 days before I actually picked up the bank check from them. I applied, got approved and locked in the interest rate at that time. With NFCU, if you have an approved loan it shows up on your account if you bank with them (and I do) so I just walked into my local branch, told them I was ready to pick up my bank check for my auto loan, and they printed it out and gave it to me (a packet).

I dont know who you are using, but they are all going to have slightly different processes and you should likely already know what your chosen institutions process is ( and have applied for the loan to get approved). Of course, most institutions will allow you to apply in person if you bank there but it wont be faster than applying ahead of time online if they allow that.

I was giving you how NFCU works, with the bank check) and how tesla works, but I dont know how your chosen financial institution will want to do their part of processing your loan application and allocating the money for your loan. You need to figure that part out with them if you dont iknow it already.
I did not apply loan ahead of time as we don’t know when the car would be available. Going to the OCCU tomorrow to apply the loan as I tried to do today but 2 out of 3 cc profiles are frozen. I will try to apply the loan tomorrow as all of them should have lift-up by tomorrow.

I just paid yesterday with a loan check which I received from my bank and a cashiers' check for the remainder. I just used Tesla, Inc and forgot to put the RN number this time. The first time I did the same thing, but my car mysteriously didn't make it to Fresno during the end of quarter rush. I inspected the car before, gave the two checks, and drove off in the car in 5 minutes. It is a pleasant experience if they actually have the car, they are supposed to sell to you. ;)

I would never use the "plaid" payment service. Giving a company your log on information to your bank is absolutely bizarre. If that was the only way to pay, I would never buy a car from Tesla or finance 100% of it.

Reactions: theocguy
I just paid yesterday with a loan check which I received from my bank and a cashiers' check for the remainder. I just used Tesla, Inc and forgot to put the RN number this time. The first time I did the same thing, but my car mysteriously didn't make it to Fresno during the end of quarter rush. I inspected the car before, gave the two checks, and drove off in the car in 5 minutes. It is a pleasant experience if they actually have the car, they are supposed to sell to you. ;)

I would never use the "plaid" payment service. Giving a company your log on information to your bank is absolutely bizarre. If that was the only way to pay, I would never buy a car from Tesla or finance 100% of it.
Just want to confirm it with you :

Did you NOT pay your remaining (deposit) thru the tesla app before they schedule the delivery?

I got a text about car is on truck from Fremont to my local SC but it thought it should only take 1 day from Fremont to So Ca (or 6 hours driving on a ICE car).

Anyhow, I don’t want to hand tesla any money until of the delivery day and do plan to take the Loan check and the cashier check and give them during the delivery.

Is that what you did?