Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD motor difference vs AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

I've recently came across this video and I started to wonder how accurate that is. Seeing that I've ordered SR+ I now worry a little whether or not the motor thing is true and I will not have the instant torque etc. unless I go for AWD (or Performance).
Could you guys shed some light into this, please?
The guy is super silly and annoying (fart jokes - are we 12?) but he raises interesting thing and because I didn't test drive the M3 before ordering I wonder if I made the same mistake. What is your experience with RWD, please? Especially SR+?

The video and the difference in motors is here:

Didn’t bother watching the video but there’s only one type of rear drive unit being put in these cars. I have the long range RWD. It’s right in between the AWD and the SR+ in terms of acceleration rates but all Tesla’s will have the instant torque and throttle response without any lag. So you don’t have to worry about that. The thing you notice is a faster 0-60 time with the AWD/Performance models. The SR+ is still a reasonably fast car for its segment.

I had test driven a RWD then unfortunately a P and I definitely noticed a power ramp on the RWD models.

Tesla uses a switched reluctance motor in the rear for efficiency but it has an issue with torque ripple which means they had to ramp the torque a bit more slowly. For the dual motors they used induction on the front motor to provide a more instantaneous kick.

If you never driven an electric vehicle before you’ll never notice the difference but if you’ve driven another Tesla before it’s quite the difference. The dual motors literally knock you back like a roller coaster while the RWD will just feel really fast.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: N54TT and NYCR160
Didn’t bother watching the video but there’s only one type of rear drive unit being put in these cars. I have the long range RWD. It’s right in between the AWD and the SR+ in terms of acceleration rates but all Tesla’s will have the instant torque and throttle response without any lag. So you don’t have to worry about that. The thing you notice is a faster 0-60 time with the AWD/Performance models. The SR+ is still a reasonably fast car for its segment.
Have a look at the video or at least the bit where he explains the ripple effect of the RW motor vs the FW motor and how they are different. (I think the poster below explains it a bit)

I had test driven a RWD then unfortunately a P and I definitely noticed a power ramp on the RWD models.

Tesla uses a switched reluctance motor in the rear for efficiency but it has an issue with torque ripple which means they had to ramp the torque a bit more slowly. For the dual motors they used induction on the front motor to provide a more instantaneous kick.

If you never driven an electric vehicle before you’ll never notice the difference but if you’ve driven another Tesla before it’s quite the difference. The dual motors literally knock you back like a roller coaster while the RWD will just feel really fast.

Agreed. I have an SR+ and definitely noticed a ramp-up in power from a stop rather than all at once. I don’t really care, I mean, how often are you going to launch your car from zero? I think I’ve done it a few times in the month and a half I’ve owned it. Acceleration while the car is already moving is far more important to me, and that’s instantaneous.

I've driven Model S Performance with Ludicrous speed and I'm not really after fast acceleration. I'm just after smoothness and the way he described the ripple effect sounds to me that the acceleration is not that smooth (or I misunderstood?)
I don't mind a bit of a lag as that is what I'm used to from ICE but I would mind "jerkiness" or not smooth speed up.
If the only difference in the motors is just the time it takes from 0-60 then I don't care. So are there any other differences really?

I loved the S with Ludicrous speed but to be honest it was fun for the afternoon. After that I would probably not use it as with the fast acceleration my head/neck started to get sore from the crazy sudden moves so it was just a novelty fun but not for normal usage. :)

So, anyone tried both? AWD vs RWD M3?

Agreed. I have an SR+ and definitely noticed a ramp-up in power from a stop rather than all at once. I don’t really care, I mean, how often are you going to launch your car from zero? I think I’ve done it a few times in the month and a half I’ve owned it. Acceleration while the car is already moving is far more important to me, and that’s instantaneous.
Is it just that? Is it just longer time? Is the speed up smooth? How happy are you with SR+? I have one coming but wonder if I should switch to AWD now that they dropped the price

I've driven Model S Performance with Ludicrous speed and I'm not really after fast acceleration. I'm just after smoothness and the way he described the ripple effect sounds to me that the acceleration is not that smooth (or I misunderstood?)
I don't mind a bit of a lag as that is what I'm used to from ICE but I would mind "jerkiness" or not smooth speed up.
If the only difference in the motors is just the time it takes from 0-60 then I don't care. So are there any other differences really?

I loved the S with Ludicrous speed but to be honest it was fun for the afternoon. After that I would probably not use it as with the fast acceleration my head/neck started to get sore from the crazy sudden moves so it was just a novelty fun but not for normal usage. :)

So, anyone tried both? AWD vs RWD M3?

I went with the LR AWD and it’s a beast. Pulls strongly, especially out of curves. The RWD will push the nose out a bit coming out of curves. The AWD feeling is intoxicating, to me at least. The P3D would be even more so, but wasn’t worth an extra 10 grand, to me anyways. YMMV.

Hello guys,

I've recently came across this video and I started to wonder how accurate that is. Seeing that I've ordered SR+ I now worry a little whether or not the motor thing is true and I will not have the instant torque etc. unless I go for AWD (or Performance).
Could you guys shed some light into this, please?
The guy is super silly and annoying (fart jokes - are we 12?) but he raises interesting thing and because I didn't test drive the M3 before ordering I wonder if I made the same mistake. What is your experience with RWD, please? Especially SR+?

The video and the difference in motors is here:

I’ve watched this video before. I’ve driven an LR, AWD, and I own a Performance.

1) So far, all Model 3s except one (reported) have been built with the same rear motor. The amount of torque it produces is controlled by software. The amount of power it can produce is limited by the software, and then the battery.

2) I think the torque ripple concerns have been overstated. It’s a real engineering issue, but once you’re going 5mph, I suspect it is an issue that is easily addressed with modern motor controllers. The vehicles I have driven have all seemed plenty fast for street use, and have close to instant torque. ALL of the vehicles have a “slow” initial torque ramp, but after the vehicle has traveled about 8-12 inches, they are at maximum torque.

3) If you are concerned about the amount of power and torque, then you should really test drive the other vehicles. Tesla will not be upset to sell you a higher margin vehicle. They’ll willingly change your order. If you want a really fast car for some reason, you should go with AWD or Performance.

4) The efficiency of the AWD vehicles, particularly the Performance, is terrible compared to the RWD vehicles. The achievable range of the SR+ is actually quite close to that of the stock Performance (though the Performance range can be improved with different tires)!

I don't mind a bit of a lag as that is what I'm used to from ICE but I would mind "jerkiness" or not smooth speed up

It’s perfectly smooth. Practically, there is no torque ripple (it is completely hidden by the motor controller to the extent it exists). Most people think the Model 3 is not jerky enough (not in the sense you mean - they want it to be like a Model S Ludicrous, which is an extremely jerky car on launch)!

Last edited:
1 sec difference between M3P>M3DM>M3RWD. Cost is Approximately $8-10k/level.(pending config.) DM is the way to go, unless you crave the additional 1 sec(?). RWD is an efficient mode. DM can give you the best of both worlds, based on your driving habits(?). Factor in tire wear/replacement and potential speeding tickets, you have your nexus.:)

Last edited:
It’s perfectly smooth. Practically, there is no torque ripple (it is completely hidden by the motor controller to the extent it exists). Most people think the Model 3 is not jerky enough (not in the sense you mean - they want it to be like a Model S Ludicrous, which is an extremely jerky car on launch)!
I’m not experiencing this “Jerkiness” your mentioning (?) My experiences have always been smooth and without any perception of hesitation or “ripple” (?). Foot to pedal, it is seamless. If you’re noting the “throw everyone into the seats” acceleration then, yes, it is doing its job!;)

Actually, you said “Practically, there is no torque ripple” So, none or kinda?

Jerkiness and torque ripple are two entirely differently things. I've never experienced torque ripple as the motor controller has eliminated the possibility of it occurring. Its just the RWD is less jerky than the the dual motor variants since the dual motor has a jerk of a induction motor lol.

The SR+ and the original LR RWD have different 0-60times though... so i accume the SR+ is software limited to be slower, and might casue it to feel "sluggish"

I find it hard to believe that someone is debating the AWD LR vs a SR+ ... they are 2 pretty different. Dont get buyers remorse.

You only notice the ripple if you try to hover at 0 without engaging the brakes. Coming to a stop with only regen braking = the car shuddering for a few pulses. That's what the EE video guy means. On the opposite end - when accelerating, the TC will smooth out these ripples by delaying the power delivery until sufficient RPMs are achieved. No different than an ICE transmission and gear shifting.

Actually, you said “Practically, there is no torque ripple” So, none or kinda?

What I mean by that is: while torque ripple is a thing and would exist if it were not a solved problem, it is a solved problem and so there is none (particularly on acceleration). I am not sure how else to say this.

As I said above, the car is perfectly smooth, but for protection from the pedants here, I didn’t want to say torque ripple does not exist as a concept.

I've got a LR RWD.
Never drove another electric, and had a Prius before this.
So for me, the acceleration/ performance is absolutely amazing. I feel shot out of a cannon when I punch it...it's fun when you're at a stoplight, but it's amazing when you're trying to pass a car on the highway and the car springs forward when you accelerate.
My point is, it's all about your perspective.
Yeah, I'm sure the AWD is faster, and has more acceleration, but my RWD feels incredible to me.
Depending on your car background, you might have a different opinion.

Reactions: beachmiles