Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD pre delivery hangout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't appear to be a set timeline for the delivery process (as we all know). I've seen people find out they have a hidden VIN and then receive a delivery date within a couple of days. Others 7-14 days later. Appears to be a marked difference between private orders and Lease/third party orders. Private orders have more information available and appear to find out early whereas lease orders find out weeks afterwards.

So if you are a lease/third party order don't worry if you have heard nothing. You may get a delivery text for 3 weeks time (as opposed to 4+ weeks notice for private orders). Whether your car is on a certain ship? Who knows, with multiple ships, and different timelines for private and lease/third party orders it could be anyone's guess.

In summary don't get disheartened if you haven't received texts, just because Mr/Miss X has received a text for VIN or delivery, doesn't mean you have missed out for a certain shipment. Their order process might be different to yours.

Reactions: M3UK and Jon_UK
Can I ask a range question?

So on the website now it says RWD is 305 mile range or 317 with aero wheels.
I have watched lots of YouTube videos of the LFP battery and range tests and most quote the range as 274 miles. Most are 6 - 10 month old videos.

Has something changed to increase the range or more manufacturer range inflation lies/half truths?

Thanks

Doesn't appear to be a set timeline for the delivery process (as we all know). I've seen people find out they have a hidden VIN and then receive a delivery date within a couple of days. Others 7-14 days later. Appears to be a marked difference between private orders and Lease/third party orders. Private orders have more information available and appear to find out early whereas lease orders find out weeks afterwards.

So if you are a lease/third party order don't worry if you have heard nothing. You may get a delivery text for 3 weeks time (as opposed to 4+ weeks notice for private orders). Whether your car is on a certain ship? Who knows, with multiple ships, and different timelines for private and lease/third party orders it could be anyone's guess.

In summary don't get disheartened if you haven't received texts, just because Mr/Miss X has received a text for VIN or delivery, doesn't mean you have missed out for a certain shipment. Their order process might be different to yours.
Wise words. Also at present the acceptance of USS removal will go to the lease company which may add delay in acceptance.

Last edited:

I have watched lots of YouTube videos of the LFP battery and range tests and most quote the range as 274 miles. Most are 6 - 10 month old videos.

Has something changed to increase the range or more manufacturer range inflation lies/half truths?

Thanks
Nope nothing has changed (that I know of), youtube range tests are "real world" compared to the figures quoted on Teslas site.

The manufacturers figures aren't lies, I believe they have to by law quote figures achieved in the WLTP industry standard fuel economy tests. EVs do particularly well in that test because the cycle has them drive at various speeds and the car has opportunities to regen charge.

In the real world on a long road trip where range matters you will most likely be on a motorway doing a constant 70mph which is the least efficient scenario for an EV.

At least that's my understanding of it all, someone correct me if any of that is completely wrong.

Reactions: ScottishDev

Thanks
The >300 figure is a WLTP figure and represents a mileage in the most optimal conditions.
The 270 ish figure is an American EPA figure and is more typical of average new battery fair weather good conditions mileage.

The EV database is a good place to get some indication of real distance figures in different conditions

Reactions: Ashdeman

Thanks

Tesla website quotes WLTP test range (UK) but I understand Tesla's within the car uses EPA range tests (USA) for estimating range which is a lower estimate. Just know that the real world range calculated by the car itself is most the important range. 274 miles real world range seems about right but depends on whether battery is charged to 100% or 80% as well.

Reactions: Astrape

Thanks
The miles in the website is WLTP ( No idea what that means, but has no bearing with real life scenario). I have a 2021 M3LR, the WLTP is 360. The 100% charge was 338 miles from day 1. In real life I have achieved probably 320 miles. It is extrapolated obviously as I have never driven the car down to 0 %. I think the 100% for the RWD is about 273 miles and you probably will get about 250 on an ideal day

Wise words. Also at present the acceptance of USS will go to the lease company wh may add delay in acceptance,

Exactly. A private order may take a day to accept where as a lease order may take 5 days. So then already your delivery process is a week behind and this could happen multiple times. Just because there is a 5 day delay doesn't mean you have to wait 5 days extra for delivery it might just mean you are waiting less between receiving your delivery text date and delivery day itself.

Reactions: Astrape

Thanks
That is a really interesting question … my indicated range is drifting downwards (I tend to leave it on percentage now). 5 weeks in, the car initially read 274, yesterday on a full 100% charge it read 259 miles. I am not overly concerned given the 8 year warranty on the battery and motor, but thought I would give Tesla a call anyway. I suspect Tesla receive a lot of calls on this. Bear in mind my journeys are very ’samey’ and typically involve motorway. I was told that the indicated range will change over time as the car adapts to my driving style, types of journey, outside temperature and perhaps some other stuff, but I can’t remember what else. I was told to expect this type of fluctuation and that it will more than likely go up as conditions change (summer, different drives etc) … so we will see. I know the characteristics of LFP battery makes range prediction difficult in any case. So, rightly or wrongly, like I said, I am not overly concerned about what the indicated range is telling me, for the moment at least. I now leave it on percentage, I 100% charge when it goes down to around 50% (the Tesla guy was pretty adamant about 100% charging), unless the sun is shining (we have solar panels) in which case the car goes on charge irrespective of the level of battery depletion. At the moment I am doing just over 4 miles per kWh (240 mile range roughly), on a warmer day I did see nearer 5 miles per kWh (equating to nearer 300 mile range). So in summary, maybe the quoted ranges should probably be used more for comparing one vehicle against another rather than a true indicator of range. Washed the car yesterday …. again 🤣

That is a really interesting question … my indicated range is drifting downwards (I tend to leave it on percentage now). 5 weeks in, the car initially read 274, yesterday on a full 100% charge it read 259 miles. I am not overly concerned given the 8 year warranty on the battery and motor, but thought I would give Tesla a call anyway. I suspect Tesla receive a lot of calls on this. Bear in mind my journeys are very ’samey’ and typically involve motorway. I was told that the indicated range will change over time as the car adapts to my driving style, types of journey, outside temperature and perhaps some other stuff, but I can’t remember what else. I was told to expect this type of fluctuation and that it will more than likely go up as conditions change (summer, different drives etc) … so we will see. I know the characteristics of LFP battery makes range prediction difficult in any case. So, rightly or wrongly, like I said, I am not overly concerned about what the indicated range is telling me, for the moment at least. I now leave it on percentage, I 100% charge when it goes down to around 50% (the Tesla guy was pretty adamant about 100% charging), unless the sun is shining (we have solar panels) in which case the car goes on charge irrespective of the level of battery depletion. At the moment I am doing just over 4 miles per kWh (240 mile range roughly), on a warmer day I did see nearer 5 miles per kWh (equating to nearer 300 mile range). So in summary, maybe the quoted ranges should probably be used more for comparing one vehicle against another rather than a true indicator of range. Washed the car yesterday …. again 🤣
I was interested to see the article about the model S taxi which has done nearly a million miles over 8 years. It’s on its second battery which has now done >600,000 miles (original replaced under warranty after nearly 200K!!!, and on its fifth motor.

If that means motors do 200K miles (the kind of distance where you might expect engine replacement), and batteries 500K plus, I dont think there is anything to worry about :)

Reactions: LoneRanger
I was interested to see the article about the model S taxi which has done nearly a million miles over 8 years. It’s on its second battery which has now done >600,000 miles (original replaced under warranty after nearly 200K!!!, and on its fifth motor.

If that means motors do 200K miles (the kind of distance where you might expect engine replacement), and batteries 500K plus, I dont think there is anything to worry about :)

Wow! That is amazing!

Just got my new trade in quote.

1500 less than motorway. And 500 less than we buy any car. Anyone used motorway is that until quote likely to go down. Is it easier to go with Tesla as there's no selling car or paying Tesla before the pick up. As I don't have the deposit for Tesla to hand until I sell my current car.

Any help or advice would be greatly received. Thanks.

Just to add, LFP batteries will last longer than nickel-based counterparts. 5000+ cycles which equates to over a million miles assuming a cycle is 250mi.

Just got my new trade in quote.

1500 less than motorway. And 500 less than we buy any car. Anyone used motorway is that until quote likely to go down. Is it easier to go with Tesla as there's no selling car or paying Tesla before the pick up. As I don't have the deposit for Tesla to hand until I sell my current car.

Any help or advice would be greatly received. Thanks.
I used motorway when I sold my Mazda back in April, they originally valued it at £8300 and when it sold it actually made £8700. That said it looks like the used car market has calmed down since beginning of the year.

Wth regards to my previous post about trade 8n offer. I've just spoken to Tesla who said while I have been matched. I have not been confirmed as the ship hasn't passed a certain point. Therefore I should not have been offered this trade in price as it's due to expire before my EDD. The CS advised not to accept this offer as it might expire before the car turns up and they will need to revalue which could be lower than the current offer.

Anyone else had an updated trade in offer but not yet had there delivery scheduled or confirmed along with their VIN.

Just when I thought it was plain sailing.

Last edited:

Thanks
Different routes / styles are quite noticeable - I was getting about 200Wh/mi (=5mi/kWh - which would work out to just hit 300mi range from 100%) in August but would bump up to 5.5mi/kwh if only driving round town compared to my normal commute on mostly 60s.

Now the cold is hitting in November its dropped to about 245Wh/mi (~4mi/kwh) which works out to be about 250mi range for my commute. There's still a noticeable improvement in efficiency when driving around town.

Upshot is, its variable depending on season, your route / speed, and how heavy your right foot is

Reactions: LoneRanger
Just on the off chance I decided to reply to the “get ready” text I received on 31/10, I just said”any news” got an immediate reply asking me to schedule a collection date between 7-14 December, naturally I said 7th December, only for her to reply, “sorry, I’ve just been told you’ll have to wait for the automated text offering me dates for collection” 😂😂😂😂😂

Just on the off chance I decided to reply to the “get ready” text I received on 31/10, I just said”any news” got an immediate reply asking me to schedule a collection date between 7-14 December, naturally I said 7th December, only for her to reply, “sorry, I’ve just been told you’ll have to wait for the automated text offering me dates for collection” 😂😂😂😂😂
And it’s Tesla Vision not USS 👀