Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD supercharger charging speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if a Model 3 RWD can use all the speed a V3 SuperChager or even a 350kW CCS charger can throw at it or is the car limited to a certain level?
I know that on the mobile connector or Tesla Wall connector they are throttled at 32 Amps.

I was wondering if a Model 3 RWD can use all the speed a V3 SuperChager or even a 350kW CCS charger can throw at it or is the car limited to a certain level?
I know that on the mobile connector or Tesla Wall connector they are throttled at 32 Amps.
A RWD/SR+ definitely can't max out a V3 or 350 kW CCS (with adapter). I have a '21 SR+, and the most I ever saw from a V3 supercharger was rates in the 170s (and for a very short period of time before ramping down).

Randy-12 said:
"I know that on the mobile connector or Tesla Wall connector they are throttled at 32 Amps".

Is it the Tesla pieces or system that keeps home output through Tesla connectors that keep flow to 32 Amps?
I thought my house or the county supply is doing that. I'm using my 240v 60a breaker that I installed for welding and have only 32 amps when connected to the car.
32 amps has been OK but the whole thing has me confused.

Randy-12 said:
"I know that on the mobile connector or Tesla Wall connector they are throttled at 32 Amps".

Is it the Tesla pieces or system that keeps home output through Tesla connectors that keep flow to 32 Amps?
I thought my house or the county supply is doing that. I'm using my 240v 60a breaker that I installed for welding and have only 32 amps when connected to the car.
RWD/SR+ 3's are limited to 32A due to hardware. Doesn't matter how powerful the 240V station is, the car will only ever ask for 32 amps at most.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Randy-12 said:

Its a physical limitation in the car. A RWD model 3 (previously called SR+) has (2) 16amp chargers in the car (the "chargers" are actually in the car, NOT in the wall connector or the mobile connector). A LR / AWD model 3 has (3) of those same 16amp chargers. Thus, the L2 charging rate of a model 3 RWD is always going to be no more than 32amps and the LR / P 48amps (in the US).

Supercharging bypasses the onboard chargers and for a supercharger, the charger is actually the supercharger. As for supercharging speeds of the RWD model 3, there is an existing thread on that here:

It's on the Tesla web site:
1651668093802.png

I've used Superchargers in the UK and Europe 60 times in the 32 months I've had my UK SR+ . Initially I had 170kW charge rates from a low state of charge from several UK charging stations, but in recent months have not got any higher than 140kW. Just recently I had did a return trip London - Munich and never achieved more than an 80kW rate in 22 charging sessions at 14 different locations. A service centre rightly pointed out that the charge rate is dependent on several factors, but all these should have been optimum in my case. The factors they mentioned were as follows:

1. "State of charge" at beginning of charge" - This was <10% each of the 22 timed;

2. "Battery temperatures at start of charge" - should have been perfect, each time it was showing it was preconditioning a long time in advance, and ambient temperature was ~10deg C;

3. "Usage of cabin heating during charge" – was not excessive each time

4. "Supercharger power availability" – was not an issue because each time mine was either the only vehicle at the station or one of very few, and not parked adjacent. Station were rated at 150-250kW

5. "Battery aging factors" – the car has done only 19k miles in 32 months, and not been excessively charged (in it's life fewer than 60 supercharges, totalling 1,500 kWh, and 250 charges at home totalling 7,000 kWh). That should be nowhere near an aging factor.

6. "current request from the vehicle and the current from the charging equipment were sometimes equal to each other and the given reason for the charge limitation is the equipment itself", - doesn't make much sense at 22 times at 14 different Supercharging stations.

7. "the battery was in some occasions initially too hot. The vehicle HVAC system is successfully ramping up cooling once this occurs though and a couple of minutes later the temperature is dropping" - also doesn't make sense a limiting factor in these circumstances, given the plenty of time it had to be preconditioned and the relatively low ambient temperature (<10°C).

I don't think the poor charging performance on the 22 consecutive sessions is explained by these factors at 14 different stations in 3 days. I suspect there is something / few things not quite right with the car for the charging performance to be performing so badly. The problem is that asking that Tesla undertakes a more detailed diagnosis and/or replace components that could be contributing to such poor performance is an uphill task, when all they seem to do is stick it on a charger at the service centre and declare everything seeming to perform within specification.

I’ve looked and could not see it.
Can you share the link please?

But this is the fastest way to look at it.

Reactions: Randy-12
The lower Supercharging rate is likely due entirely to the smaller battery. Each cell can only be charged so quickly, so if you have less cells, the overall rate the battery can charge at is reduced. Since the RWD M3 has the smallest battery of all the current models, it is most restricted in charge rate.