Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 savings account option in addition to $1000 deposit..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see the option of adding money to my $1000 deposit for the following reasons:
1. I won't have to open another bank account.
2. I'd rather see Tesla use my money than a bank.
3. I'd be more inclined to save more towards the model 3.

Could always buy some stock in the company. I did that before I was ready to order a model s and still have some amount of stock that I feel is likely to appreciate in value over the next couple of years if the company does well.

Pretty much..I'm going to sell off my motorcycle, a car and a few other things over the next year or two and I want the money to go to a dedicated model 3 account. I'm not fond of another bank account or safety deposit box and I have no problem letting Tesla keep it for me.

Could always buy some stock in the company. I did that before I was ready to order a model s and still have some amount of stock that I feel is likely to appreciate in value over the next couple of years if the company does well.
Not a bad idea but I've already got some stock and I'm staying long..a dedicated account would keep me more focused on paying it off as soon as possible and I could add small amounts of cash more easily.

I'd like to see the option of adding money to my $1000 deposit for the following reasons:
1. I won't have to open another bank account.
2. I'd rather see Tesla use my money than a bank.
3. I'd be more inclined to save more towards the model 3.

Interesting idea -- especially since interest rates at a bank are basically zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: linkster
This would just add complexity at the wrong point for the company. They have many challenges to focus on, and running a bank account isn't one of them. If you want to, you can try buying some of their debt issuances to get similar exposure and actually earn something during that time on it. Otherwise, just get a savings account wherever you already bank, and toss it in there. The American Express Personal Savings bank is pretty good too, and gets me close to 1% today.

This would just add complexity at the wrong point for the company. They have many challenges to focus on, and running a bank account isn't one of them. If you want to, you can try buying some of their debt issuances to get similar exposure and actually earn something during that time on it. Otherwise, just get a savings account wherever you already bank, and toss it in there. The American Express Personal Savings bank is pretty good too, and gets me close to 1% today.
I think it would be relatively easy to set up such an account especially when you figure in the benefits for tesla. It could bring in billions of working capital, at virtually no cost, without diluting existing shares, to help tesla meet this new unexpected demand....DQ10 OUT....

I like the sentiment, but if Tesla needs additional investment to bring the car to market, any money they collect from you as part of an early order would be little more than an encumberance on future earnings. That is, rather than being a cost in terms of infrastructure that can be depreciated and amortized, it would I THINK wind up being more of an inventory related charge. It would not be an operational advantage I believe because every dollar collected now would be almost entirely offset by a guaranteed future cost, and therefore without additional conventional funding, this would devolve into something quite like a ponzi where future orders would be required to deliver those previously made. Second, it would amount to an interest free loan to Tesla, and one they are not obligated to repay if the worst should transpire. You would be in the position of another creditor and like the others, you would potentially be in a position of receiving pennies on the dollar in the case of insolvency.

If Tesla winds up needing to raise capital (and I'm betting they will), then they will need to do it conventionally. It's not going to happen from allowing customers to prepay for their cars. If they did that, I think it would send a very bad message.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak