Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 savings account option in addition to $1000 deposit..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the idea. Everything I've read says Tesla was going to need to borrow more money to ramp up production. They might as well borrow it from those of us who have committed to their product.
The regulations alone won't make this easy though. If it's a "savings account," then you'll be subject to many banking regulations, and FDIC requirements, and stress testing that comes with DFAST regulations after the financial crisis. You can take customer money and just go out and do anything, which in this case would be setup a factory. The regulators won't allow it, I guarantee it.

You can also structure it not as a bank account, but an investment vehicle, and now you get into securities regulations, and that's a whole different ball game too. The recent DOL ruling could add another layer of complexity depending on how their representatives are looked at in the laws.

Look, in general, I think this is a really good thought exercise and there is most definitely a portion of the customer base that would benefit from this. I just don't think a company like Tesla is going to shift even 1% of their focus at this point to taking deposits from customers.

20 years from now, whether they paid 5% for short term borrowing or 0% from customers won't have made a difference. No one looks back and says, "Gee, Coca Cola would have only been a good company if they paid a little less in interest back in 1965. If only..."

Again - good thinking, but they're not at the point yet to optimize interest costs this much.

I like the sentiment, but if Tesla needs additional investment to bring the car to market, any money they collect from you as part of an early order would be little more than an encumberance on future earnings. That is, rather than being a cost in terms of infrastructure that can be depreciated and amortized, it would I THINK wind up being more of an inventory related charge. It would not be an operational advantage I believe because every dollar collected now would be almost entirely offset by a guaranteed future cost, and therefore without additional conventional funding, this would devolve into something quite like a ponzi where future orders would be required to deliver those previously made. Second, it would amount to an interest free loan to Tesla, and one they are not obligated to repay if the worst should transpire. You would be in the position of another creditor and like the others, you would potentially be in a position of receiving pennies on the dollar in the case of insolvency.

If Tesla winds up needing to raise capital (and I'm betting they will), then they will need to do it conventionally. It's not going to happen from allowing customers to prepay for their cars. If they did that, I think it would send a very bad message.
The ways of securing capital are changing for people and companies alike. This would be a calculated risk to a degree but I look at teslas valuation as that of three companies, energy storage, cars and batteries I think the chance of tesla going under is remote. If tesla needs to generate money as a result of the model 3's unexpected demand wouldn't it be better to pay that investment off interest free if you have customers willing to, in effect, "pay it forward." Once tesla can get to the point where it's not heavily reinvesting the profits generated from its cars ect. It will start generating more of a tradition profit.

It's not going to happen from allowing customers to prepay for their cars. If they did that, I think it would send a very bad message.
Werent some of the Sig models a very substantial reservation? I know the production reservations were $5k but I thought the Sigs were like $40k. They opted not to do a sig series for model 3. Obviously they didn't send a bad message with the sig series model s.

Werent some of the Sig models a very substantial reservation? I know the production reservations were $5k but I thought the Sigs were like $40k. They opted not to do a sig series for model 3. Obviously they didn't send a bad message with the sig series model s.
The goal there wasn't from the buyer's perspective of helping them "save" for the car by making a bigger reservation payment. It was likely to get a really good estimate of how many cars to produce, parts to order, etc., and as the nature of a limited/signature series would imply, it's also to create some level of exclusivity for those who are most interested in the cars/technology and give them something that won't be available forever into the future. The larger down payment is the way to contribute to those goals. There is an additional benefit that as you increase the reservation fee, fewer and fewer portions of the people who reserve them are likely to cancel it. If you're willing to part with $5k a year or two before delivery of a car, you're pretty sure you want it, because you may not have even test driven it.

If the Model 3 was a larger down payment, I would have still done it, and have the added benefit of a potentially earlier delivery if others who wanted to reserve couldn't afford a larger down payment.

Not to do product placement or anything... but I'm a big fan of the YouNeedABudget app. It's a web/phone based envelope budgeting style personal finance app. It's awesome and lifechanging... but I digress.

I simply have a "Tesla Model 3" category in it that I add to every month and it builds interest in one of my accounts,

YNAB. Personal finance software to take total control of your money.

Buy stock in Ford. Let their dividends help pay for your new ride!
Those dividends are pretty impressive considering what I paid for the stock. It has been my only investment that was actually worthwhile and I still kick myself over not going in for a larger amount. You can bet I am saving those dividend payments from Ford for the M3 although Ford just complicated my plans. Automobilemag just confirmed that Ford is in the process of coming out with a 200+ mile EV that they originally reported on in 2015. If Ford comes out with a compelling EV and it is useful, then I am backing out of my reservation. My blood bleeds Ford blue and I have great relationships with the dealer that me and my parents before me have been buying cars from at the rate of roughly 1 every 3-5 years(I drive a ton of miles and trade in before it starts to need repairs).

Not to do product placement or anything... but I'm a big fan of the YouNeedABudget app. It's a web/phone based envelope budgeting style personal finance app. It's awesome and lifechanging... but I digress.

I simply have a "Tesla Model 3" category in it that I add to every month and it builds interest in one of my accounts,

YNAB. Personal finance software to take total control of your money.
That or just go open a separate savings account like I have to put money into each month. I need my monthly payments to be no higher than $500-550 a month so that means I need to have 15-20k saved by then. My American Express also racks up reward dollars which I hope will accumulate to at least $1000 by then as well at the rate I use it.

Tesla sells merchandise. So, it is conceivable that they could (in the near future) also sell gift cards. And then you can just buy a $50,000 gift card for yourself. Although, I'd probably put that in the safe-deposit box (that you were trying to avoid).

This app makes it so you don't have to open a separate savings account.... it just divides your current accounts into however many pockets you need for anything.

I'd rather just do it myself. A standard Wells Fargo Way 2 Save savings account requires a minimum balance of $300. Maybe I am not much of an app person(I am very old school), but my way just sounds simpler and easier. In fact I opened one of those just to funnel between $300-500 a month into.

Tesla sells merchandise. So, it is conceivable that they could (in the near future) also sell gift cards. And then you can just buy a $50,000 gift card for yourself. Although, I'd probably put that in the safe-deposit box (that you were trying to avoid).

I would doubt that would happen mainly because that can be a real headache and liability. If they let an outside financial institution handle the details, that would seriously cut into their costs as well. Tesla can't handle that right now with what is on their plate. Their priority is getting the Model 3 launched on time at decent volume and then immediately shifting their attention to their next rumored project which supposedly is the EV for the real masses.

To clarify, I realize there are a number of ways to save money for a specific purchase, however I like the idea of funding the model 3 thru "Tesla" and letting them use the money..I certainly don't need to help out Bank of America or GM. I would be willing to bet, that if given this option, many others would do the same..

I kind of like the idea of Tesla allowing people to put more than 1k towards the car. It can't be that much overhead for them to receive more early payments and they can use the cash. I also like the idea of Tesla stock but Musk always scares me because he doesn't really care about making money, just changing the world.(yes i know he needs money to change the world but it still scares me) That is why I am buying a car from him, but not sure if his stock will pay off over time. For the record I do own Tesla stock because despite what I said I want a way to support the company.

Those dividends are pretty impressive considering what I paid for the stock. It has been my only investment that was actually worthwhile and I still kick myself over not going in for a larger amount. You can bet I am saving those dividend payments from Ford for the M3 although Ford just complicated my plans. Automobilemag just confirmed that Ford is in the process of coming out with a 200+ mile EV that they originally reported on in 2015. If Ford comes out with a compelling EV and it is useful, then I am backing out of my reservation. My blood bleeds Ford blue and I have great relationships with the dealer that me and my parents before me have been buying cars from at the rate of roughly 1 every 3-5 years(I drive a ton of miles and trade in before it starts to need repairs).
I won't be willing just yet to go with other brands, because they won't have a supercharger network or anything of the sort. Now, if gas stations start building electric charging ports, then that might change my thought, and would in fact make ownership a lot easier.

I won't be willing just yet to go with other brands, because they won't have a supercharger network or anything of the sort. Now, if gas stations start building electric charging ports, then that might change my thought, and would in fact make ownership a lot easier.
The Supercharger network is a plus, but people often forget that most major cities still have some sort of public DC fast charger for a fee through one of the commercial offerings. Chargepoint is the one the comes to mind first, but there are a few others. I would hope to see more of this by the time 2 years comes by and even then, I will always have an ICE backup as EV technology just hasn't gotten there yet for those of us who have different driving needs than the average person.