Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 savings account option in addition to $1000 deposit..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Supercharger network is a plus, but people often forget that most major cities still have some sort of public DC fast charger for a fee through one of the commercial offerings. Chargepoint is the one the comes to mind first, but there are a few others. I would hope to see more of this by the time 2 years comes by and even then, I will always have an ICE backup as EV technology just hasn't gotten there yet for those of us who have different driving needs than the average person.
Yep. The issue I have is that they aren't single centers (as far as I know) where they are:

1) Right off the highway
2) Numerous in number with room to expand as more are needed
3) As fast, universally, as Tesla Superchargers

Chargepoint and other firms are right that there is need, but it's too much work right now, in my opinion. I've looked around and they haven't yet made it simple and obvious enough for someone like me to just see a map of locations and know that I can stop at any one of them during my trip and get the experience that a Supercharger will provide.

Elon.. Allow those of us who have reserved model 3's to help finance tesla thru pre paying on our orders..

This idea is even more appealing after last week's announcement. Tesla needs capital and most of those who have already reserved are enthusiastic early adopters. I am not sure yet whether I am going to buy or lease but will need to set a little cash aside either way. I would be happy to increase my reservation deposit to $5000, and possibly add to that. I'm sure many others would rather let Tesla put their money to work than park it at a bank. Since Tesla is already taking deposits I'm sure the lawyers could work out any regulatory issues.

This seems like an easy way for Tesla to crowdfund what could amount to a few hundred million dollars at virtually no cost, if the idea takes off.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
Not to do product placement or anything... but I'm a big fan of the YouNeedABudget app. It's a web/phone based envelope budgeting style personal finance app. It's awesome and lifechanging... but I digress.

I simply have a "Tesla Model 3" category in it that I add to every month and it builds interest in one of my accounts,

YNAB. Personal finance software to take total control of your money.
^^THIS^^
Exactly what I do. I don't need extra accounts for everything I'm saving for. YNAB is an awesome tool.

maybe even less time than we thought.
The last tweet reply was that they would be trying to get most "pre announcement" ordered cars out in 2017
That's a heck of a thank you for ordering before you saw it present.

Funding by pre buying is not the same as "permanent capital" that they can deploy into their business, and so this idea, while having some merit to offset the need for some short term working capital, is not feasible. They can't just use this money to build a factory and then magically make a car. They will need lots of material and supplier purchases, which your cars purchase price is used for.

And while the capital employed by the firm will be forever (equity, can't be recalled or redeemed by an individual owner), the debt won't be short term either.

While there is some merit in having customers prepay, I think the benefits will be more due to fewer cancellations among those folks than be broader reservation base. I don't anticipate any other benefits to the firm except expense and hassle.

Booga-don't think of it so much as "permanent capital" but as an upfront "Ponzi Scheme," which was a very effective way to secure capital, of coarse it didn't work out to well for the clients..But in openly going into such a scheme, i mean agreement, with a legitimate company like tesla and knowing full well you're helping to perpetuate a stream of income for a company that you may very well own stock in or at the very least like the company's objectives, you could perpetuate this ongoing stream of revenue from what appears to be an ongoing demand. So even if tesla can start producing 500,000-1,000,000 plus cars per year, in the near future, if people can have the ability to pre pay even at a $5000 per car average there will a perpetual stream of capital for years to come with no losers, like there are in a traditional Ponzi scheme...Maybe I should come up with a better example...

Last edited:
Reactions: melindav
Booga-don't think of it so much as "permanent capital" but as an upfront "Ponzi Scheme," which was a very effective way to secure capital, of coarse it didn't work out to well for the clients..But in openly going into such a scheme, i mean agreement, with a legitimate company like tesla and knowing full well you're helping to perpetuate a stream of income for a company that you may very well own stock in or at the very least like the company's objectives, you could perpetuate this ongoing stream of revenue from what appears to be an ongoing demand. So even if tesla can start producing 500,000-1,000,000 plus cars per year, in the near future, if people can have the ability to pre pay even at a $5000 per car average there will a perpetual stream of capital for years to come with no losers, like there are in a traditional Ponzi scheme...Maybe I should come up with a better example...
In order to perpetuate it, future buyers (after us) will also need to put just as much towards a prepayment in order for it to work. Otherwise, all you're doing is delaying their sourcing of permanent capital. Given the nature of the asset we're discussing (inventory), it's likely that they would be borrowing with a short term duration and paying relatively little in interest, making the potential benefit of taking greater deposits even less valuable.

Given how mass market the Model 3 is supposed to be, I don't think that's a model they can make it work. On some of the limited/special edition vehicles, they could, but those are rare in nature and cater to very selective clientele.

Also, as a side note, owning stock and liking the company's objectives are two very different things. Buffett was buying up Enron debt after issues were known for 10 cents on the dollar and got 30-40 cents back when the bankruptcy proceedings all settled. You can have good or bad reasons against a company, but the performance of your investment ultimately comes down to price compared to its intrinsic value. I love Coca Cola, for example, but if they were $100 today, I wouldn't buy it, and if they were $20, I'd love to go in 100% with my portfolio. The price makes all the difference.

The way I'm saving for my Model 3 is:

1) Buying 1-2 shares of TSLA per month, especially right now after it dipped ~20%. I believe TSLA shares will be priced about double what they currently trade for around the time Tesla starts delivering Model 3s.
2) Paying off the loan on my current car faster. The more equity in my car that I'll trade/sell when I receive my Model 3, the bigger my down payment. Plus having a larger monthly car payment preps my budget for the Model 3's payment.

The way I'm saving for my Model 3 is:

1) Buying 1-2 shares of TSLA per month, especially right now after it dipped ~20%. I believe TSLA shares will be priced about double what they currently trade for around the time Tesla starts delivering Model 3s.
2) Paying off the loan on my current car faster. The more equity in my car that I'll trade/sell when I receive my Model 3, the bigger my down payment. Plus having a larger monthly car payment preps my budget for the Model 3's payment.
The thing is that you do not know what the price of TSLA will be at any point in the future. You could only make that prediction if you have insider knowledge, and then you would be in violation of federal laws. I find it surprising just how many people on this forum are willing to blindly give money to a company with a poor track record with regards to their financial status. They are a company that is almost completely investor driven right now and it takes just one bad thing happening to ruin them. Should they need to file for bankruptcy suddenly, your money would potentially be gone. There are plenty of companies that appeared to be doing well only to go out suddenly and with little warning. Unless you are personal friends with Elon, this is a guy who is an internet personality and could be a scammer for all you know. I do not believe that is the case as he is a very enthusiastic idealist who sees the most positive outcomes, but we just do not know.

Reactions: Booga
The thing is that you do not know what the price of TSLA will be at any point in the future. You could only make that prediction if you have insider knowledge, and then you would be in violation of federal laws. I find it surprising just how many people on this forum are willing to blindly give money to a company with a poor track record with regards to their financial status. They are a company that is almost completely investor driven right now and it takes just one bad thing happening to ruin them. Should they need to file for bankruptcy suddenly, your money would potentially be gone. There are plenty of companies that appeared to be doing well only to go out suddenly and with little warning. Unless you are personal friends with Elon, this is a guy who is an internet personality and could be a scammer for all you know. I do not believe that is the case as he is a very enthusiastic idealist who sees the most positive outcomes, but we just do not know.

In all fairness, I think we know quite enough to know that Elon Musk is not a scammer. Respectfully, I would argue that if you think that, you haven't very thoughtfully evaluated EM's history. First, although EM is absolutely given to hyperbole on occasion, his outlandish claims often wind up becoming fact. In fact, I would argue that most of what he has accomplished over the course of his business ventures was, at one point, considered by many people to be completely insane and potentially a scam. Think about Space-X, which at this point is the only private company to have ever orbited a spacecraft, the only company to ever have returned a rocket stage from orbit to a landing of any sort back on earth, and which has among its products the most powerful rocket on earth and the most powerful rocket built at any point since the Saturn V. A private company, doing things which up until this point have only been done by a very few governments... and a company started by an internet personality that nobody believed and that everyone laughed off.

The entire history of Tesla has been one of having most people disbelieve and laugh off the effort like it is a joke. Virtually nobody believed the roadster would ship. Virtually nobody believed an electric car could be built that had a range of over 300 miles. Virtually nobody thought such a car could be better than an ICE. And then Tesla delivered the Model S... which was declared by Consumer Reports to be the best car they ever tested. And also then came the many improvements to the S over the years... including autopilot, which nobody thought could be done and which nobody else has come even close to matching in a shipping product. And then came the X, which got off to a rough start... but which seasoned industry executives actually stated was not even manufacturable. Well, guess what? Tesla has delivered over 15K of those un-manufacturable vehicles so far, and that number is going up by about 1000 a week. Go figure.

My point is that I don't think even a moderately thoughtful examination of EM's record would indicate anything that could even remotely be considered a scam. I think, rather, that his goals are just so big that average people cannot conceive of them even being possible... and they just can't reconcile them, so they write them off.

Here's what I think: The history of EM's ventures suggests that when EM says he is going to do something impossible... it has a higher probability of success than failure.

Last edited:
You are confusing EM with a certain politician in the news lately

I believe TSLA shares will be priced about double what they currently trade for around the time Tesla starts delivering Model 3s.

TSLA will double in less than 2 years? I just can't see that happen even if all the stars align in Tesla's favour. Tesla is already overvalued. It's stock price is already based on Model 3 production being successful and more. In my view, there's no way it will double when it has for the most part risen and fallen along side many other tech stock on the market, given market trends, after its initial meteoric rise.

But I sure hope I'm proved wrong!

Reactions: Booga
If Tesla would guarantee my purchase to be eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit by pay $35,000 now, I would pay the $35,000 now. I would, therefore, have the peace of mind that I can order options with the $7,500. If Tesla is confident in their schedule and that they can get my order within the $7,500 federal tax eligibility based on my RN number, they would gain by my upfront payment for the base $35,000 for the M3.

Last edited:
In all fairness, I think we know quite enough to know that Elon Musk is not a scammer. Respectfully, I would argue that if you think that, you haven't very thoughtfully evaluated EM's history. First, although EM is absolutely given to hyperbole on occasion, his outlandish claims often wind up becoming fact. In fact, I would argue that most of what he has accomplished over the course of his business ventures was, at one point, considered by many people to be completely insane and potentially a scam. Think about Space-X, which at this point is the only private company to have ever orbited a spacecraft, the only company to ever have returned a rocket stage from orbit to a landing of any sort back on earth, and which has among its products the most powerful rocket on earth and the most powerful rocket built at any point since the Saturn V. A private company, doing things which up until this point have only been done by a very few governments... and a company started by an internet personality that nobody believed and that everyone laughed off.

The entire history of Tesla has been one of having most people disbelieve and laugh off the effort like it is a joke. Virtually nobody believed the roadster would ship. Virtually nobody believed an electric car could be built that had a range of over 300 miles. Virtually nobody thought such a car could be better than an ICE. And then Tesla delivered the Model S... which was declared by Consumer Reports to be the best car they ever tested. And also then came the many improvements to the S over the years... including autopilot, which nobody thought could be done and which nobody else has come even close to matching in a shipping product. And then came the X, which got off to a rough start... but which seasoned industry executives actually stated was not even manufacturable. Well, guess what? Tesla has delivered over 15K of those un-manufacturable vehicles so far, and that number is going up by about 1000 a week. Go figure.

My point is that I don't think even a moderately thoughtful examination of EM's record would indicate anything that could even remotely be considered a scam. I think, rather, that his goals are just so big that average people cannot conceive of them even being possible... and they just can't reconcile them, so they write them off.

Here's what I think: The history of EM's ventures suggests that when EM says he is going to do something impossible... it has a higher probability of success than failure.

I think hans sees the glass as half empty, by the way did you hear Elon said he plans to send the falcon heavy to Mars in 2018....I hope Hans doesn't read this...

If Tesla would guarantee my purchase to be eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit by pay $35,000 now, I would pay the $35,000 now. I would, therefore, have the peace of mind that I can order options with the $7,500. If Tesla is confident in their schedule and that they can get my order within the $7,500 federal tax eligibility based on my RN number, they would gain by my upfront payment for the base $35,000 for the M3.
I think if given the option you'd get a minimum of a $5000-$7500 average pre payment..

In order to perpetuate it, future buyers (after us) will also need to put just as much towards a prepayment in order for it to work. Otherwise, all you're doing is delaying their sourcing of permanent capital. Given the nature of the asset we're discussing (inventory), it's likely that they would be borrowing with a short term duration and paying relatively little in interest, making the potential benefit of taking greater deposits even less valuable.

Given how mass market the Model 3 is supposed to be, I don't think that's a model they can make it work. On some of the limited/special edition vehicles, they could, but those are rare in nature and cater to very selective clientele.

Also, as a side note, owning stock and liking the company's objectives are two very different things. Buffett was buying up Enron debt after issues were known for 10 cents on the dollar and got 30-40 cents back when the bankruptcy proceedings all settled. You can have good or bad reasons against a company, but the performance of your investment ultimately comes down to price compared to its intrinsic value. I love Coca Cola, for example, but if they were $100 today, I wouldn't buy it, and if they were $20, I'd love to go in 100% with my portfolio. The price makes all the difference.
Once tesla gets geared up, within 2 - 4 years I don't think the need for capital will be as great...

TSLA will double in less than 2 years? I just can't see that happen even if all the stars align in Tesla's favour. Tesla is already overvalued. It's stock price is already based on Model 3 production being successful and more. In my view, there's no way it will double when it has for the most part risen and fallen along side many other tech stock on the market, given market trends, after its initial meteoric rise.

But I sure hope I'm proved wrong!
TSLA stock may have some Model 3 interest priced in, but the demand in terms of reservation numbers was greatly higher than anyone public expected. So Tesla has $14B in revenue (just for Model 3) on the table waiting to be collected by delivering the cars. Further, in 18-24 months, they will quite likely be selling more S and X units, delivering Powerwalls to consumer and small business customers, and have begun several other large installation partnerships with SolarCity like the one in HI. All of these factors add up to significantly higher revenue and profit numbers, and potentially significantly less money recirculated back in to R&D, and certainly making an even more prestigious name for themselves than they already have. That's why I believe their stock is going to shoot up by then.

Last edited:
TSLA stock may have some Model 3 interest priced in..,

Some? It has all plus more of the Model 3 factored into its share price. The stock currently trades at 8.1 times sales with a forward P/E of 104. Compare those numbers with other tech stocks:

techstocks.jpg

You're suggesting the price will double in less than two years? Even Elon Musk has said "The stock price that we have is more than we have any right to deserve," What CEO says that unless the writing in on the wall, in capital letters and highlighted?

Again, I hope you're right, since I own TSLA, but I just can't see it happening. I see it as being more likely that the share price will be lower in two years than today, than it doubling in price.