Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A typical Montreal winter will cause a lot of damage like this, Just removing the ice and snow will result in a lot of scratches. Just imagine a block of ice sliding off the hood or the bristles of a snow brush passing over the paint.

I can't think of a more unhappy city for a car than Montreal - potholes, sinkholes, road salt, snow, ice, constant construction, orange cones everywhere, dust, rocks and garbage all over the roads, poor road "engineering", crumbling infrastructure, heat and humidity ... we've got it all!

I laugh when I hear someone from California complain about *their* roads ...

I can't think of a more unhappy city for a car than Montreal - potholes, sinkholes, road salt, snow, ice, constant construction, orange cones everywhere, dust, rocks and garbage all over the roads, poor road "engineering", crumbling infrastructure, heat and humidity ... we've got it all!

I laugh when I hear someone from California complain about *their* roads ...

Lol.
I’ve driven in Montreal a lot. (Great place), aside from the roads in some places.
I know what you mean. We get a little less snow, little less ice, a little better roads, but punishing here as well.

After just a few months of ownership the areas around the door handles on my black 3 became badly scratched.

If people need to wear microfiber gloves to open your car door without leaving damage, the issue is the paint, not what you’re doing.

Also in here after 2.5 months usage...

And just to say there is even no keyholes where to put keys?? I have really no clue about those scratches on my Model 3 p.

And this paint thing... Is another topic.

You can join to our Facebook group. "tesla model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues"

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

IMG_20190613_090214.jpg

IMG_20190613_172109.jpg

@M109Rider

There does seem to be some of this unusual Model 3 paint/clear coat wear going on, apparently in some cars made since latter half of 2018:

D9b4brLU8AANlFb

E.W. Niedermeyer on Twitter

Model 3 paint wearing off

I have to say, that looks like more went on, than just bird poop being cleaned off with micro fibre. ...?
Seems to be small scratches in one area, then larger ones around it.
If the bird poop was hard, then wiped into the clear coat, it could damage any clear coat.

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
Im sending these pics about a new model 3 thats been purchases 6 months ago. I had a Kia Soul for 10 years and when I sold it the paint was in better condition than my current Model 3.
Im curious if you guys experience a similar situation. The strange this is that the tech in Tesla mtl literally told me that Tesla’s paint is not good quality and that their head office told them that after the car had driven 250km they will do nothing to fix this problem. For a car at this price this is pathetic to say the least. I wonder if any of you that experienced this pushed the matter further.View attachment 420990View attachment 420991 View attachment 420992View attachment 420993 View attachment 420994
Just as bad, they clearly have problems with inferior glass windshields. 2 days of ownership, 2 pebbles causing windshield cracks. One in Scottsdale and another on a well established clean highway in Arizona. No truck, now new construction, and now an entire windshield replacement. The 3 drives unbelievably well, but poor materials and missing many features common in cheap cars. Tesla has an advanced autopilot system but can not even include a cross traffic alert for packing out of parking spots. I keep thinking that I might be driving “the peoples car” made by the Germans in the 1940’s. Of course, Volkswagen.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
I have to say, that looks like more went on, than just bird poop being cleaned off with micro fibre. ...?
Seems to be small scratches in one area, then larger ones around it.
If the bird poop was hard, then wiped into the clear coat, it could damage any clear coat.

Anyway there were links to threads with other cases of recent soft Model 3 paint / clear coat in the message. It does seem quite a few reports of abnormally soft clear coat / paint on the Model 3 in recent times.

I'm sorry to break it to that guy, but bird poop will etch through the paint of a black car in the sun in much less than one hour. Even on an Audi (let alone a BMW).

That is missing the rest of the links though. There is plenty of other cases eg:
Also in here after 2.5 months usage...

And just to say there is even no keyholes where to put keys?? I have really no clue about those scratches on my Model 3 p.

And this paint thing... Is another topic.

You can join to our Facebook group. "tesla model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues"

Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

View attachment 421635

View attachment 421638

My comment was specifically about that one example; please no whataboutery.

I'm sure you can dredge up plenty of complaints for any car (or any consumer product, really), some justified, some not. I worked in customer service for ten years ;-).

My comment was specifically about that one example; please no whataboutery.

I'm sure you can dredge up plenty of complaints for any car (or any consumer product, really), some justified, some not. I worked in customer service for ten years ;-).

My comments were specifically about the complaints linked to in this thread and the message I quoted which in my view point to a group of Model 3s with abnormally soft clear coat and paint, that is all.

Tons of people will talk about the soft paint and how you NEED ceramic coating, a clear bra, and for washing, only hand wash with X product or this is what you'll get. Two things with this:

1) I expect what people say is true, and I bought into that and got a ceramic coating and only hand wash with the 2 bucket method, if the car gets dirty enough (likely in the winter) i'll take it to a spray only car wash to get rid of the worst of it before going back to handwashing.

2) It's pretty absurd that this is the level we have to go to to maintain he paint, I have had many cars over the years, of all colors this is the first I've felt I had to baby it like this or risk damage. As an example we have a 2018 Honda CRV, and not only did I not get any protection, but I (gasp) take it thru the Costco car wash, same as every other car....an you know what, it looks great, no scratches, no swirls, it looks great....JUST LIKE I EXPECT A CAR TO.

I love my Tesla, but paint quality is one of the many things I just have to shake my head and deal with in order to have the car - it sucks, but until VW gets their electric cars to production Tesla is the only EV with this performance at this price point.

But unless things change this will be my only Tesla.....I mean can you imagine when someone with the deep pockets and German precision get an EV Golf to market? That thing is going to be amazing, at an amazing price, with an amazing warranty, and amazing paint! Meanwhile the folks at Tesla are running around like chickens with their heads cut off, working 18 hour days every last week of the quarter, meaning well but too busy to do much but abide by the latest cost cutting measures.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Tesla makes it - but if they don't make some changes in the next 5 years the established brands will surpass them....and that's fine with me, after all we're all trying to promote EV adoption regardless of what badge is behind it, right?

Last edited:
Tons of people will talk about the soft paint and how you NEED ceramic coating, a clear bra, and for washing, only hand wash with X product or this is what you'll get. Three things with this:

1) I expect what people say is true, and I bought into that and got a ceramic coating and only hand wash with the 2 bucket method, if the car gets dirty enough (likely in the winter) i'll take it to a spray only car wash to get rid of the worst of it before going back to handwashing.

2) It's pretty absurd that this is the level we have to go to to maintain he paint, I have had many cars over the years, of all colors this is the first I've felt I had to baby it like this or risk damage. As an example we have a 2018 Honda CRV, and not only did I not get any protection, but I (gasp) take it thru the Costco car wash, same as every other car....an you know what, it looks great, no scratches, no swirls, it looks great....JUST LIKE I EXPECT A CAR TO.

I love my Tesla, but paint quality is one of the many things I just have to shake my head and deal with in order to have the car - it sucks, but until VW gets their electric cars to production Tesla is the only EV with this performance at this price point.

But unless things change this will be my only Tesla.....I mean can you imagine when someone with the deep pockets and German precision get an EV Golf to market? That thing is going to be amazing, at an amazing price, with an amazing warranty, and amazing paint! Meanwhile the folks at Tesla are running around like chickens with their heads cut off, working 18 hour days every last week of the quarter, meaning well but too busy to do much but abide by the latest cost cutting measures.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Tesla makes it - but if they don't make some changes in the next 5 years the established brands will surpass them....and that's fine with me, after all we're all trying to promote EV adoption regardless of what badge is behind it, right?
Most people know that Tesla isn’t a “car manufacturer” first. Energy is Tesla’s claim to fame. That said, “if” they are to sustain their current tack with vehicles, they WILL need to shore up quality AND customer service to compete with the coming wave of EV’s. I know, Elon’s vision was to spark the evolution and he has accomplished that goal. Value and product don’t always match, case in point yet, we all bought in and that suffices the dream.

Tons of people will talk about the soft paint and how you NEED ceramic coating, a clear bra, and for washing, only hand wash with X product or this is what you'll get. Two things with this:

If you take any car through an automatic car wash, I don't care if it's a Bentley or a Kia, you're going to end up with swirls and scratches. I guarantee I could find them on your CRV. Take it to a detailer and ask them to quote you for paint correction.

Also, there is an EV Golf. It's called the Volkswagen E-Golf.

If you take any car through an automatic car wash, I don't care if it's a Bentley or a Kia, you're going to end up with swirls and scratches. I guarantee I could find them on your CRV. Take it to a detailer and ask them to quote you for paint correction.

Also, there is an EV Golf. It's called the Volkswagen E-Golf.
Over time and use, brother. Here in HI, we sometimes need them. Once in a while is not so bad, as long as finish protection is accomplished, on a regular basis.

Over time and use, brother. Here in HI, we sometimes need them. Once in a while is not so bad, as long as finish protection is accomplished, on a regular basis.

I haven't been to an automatic car wash in 15+ years at this point. We get plenty of bad stuff here as well, worst case I'll take it to a quick spray off place, but usually I use a rinseless wash in the garage in the winter.