Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Screen Extender

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electracity

Jun 8, 2015
I may be the last to notice, but Tesla obviously designed the smartphone charging location to extended the 15" screen. Especially a larger smartphone can act like another window in the car UI. So apps like Waze or music can easily be used off the phone instead of the primary screen.

I may be the last to notice, but Tesla obviously designed the smartphone charging location to extended the 15" screen. Especially a larger smartphone can act like another window in the car UI. So apps like Waze or music can easily be used off the phone instead of the primary screen.
Seeing as that the phone "docking station" is only on the premium package, means that it's really not for docking, but only for charging. Tesla will be offering their own LTE wireless connection service I'm sure for an added price after 2 years, and will also charge for music streaming service like Pandora. Car OTA updates are free of course

The only wireless connection to your phone will be phone calls.

Seeing as that the phone "docking station" is only on the premium package, means that it's really not for docking, but only for charging. Tesla will be offering their own LTE wireless connection service I'm sure for an added price after 2 years, and will also charge for music streaming service like Pandora. Car OTA updates are free of course

The only wireless connection to your phone will be phone calls.
I smell a revolt if Bluetooth audio is not allowed from phones.

I'm hoping for the exact opposite: that the Tesla screen can provide a CarPlay or Google Auto window on it. I doubt either will happen though - just my humble opinion.

An Apple 7 plus is a similar size and more resolution than a carplay window integrated in many cars.

I prefer to see carplay too. But I don't think Tesla will dilute the brand by running an Apple product. Allowing excellent placement of a smartphone under the 15" screen perhaps will pacify some owners who want better Apple or Google integration in a Tesla.

How about a Tesla App that provides the functions users want on a phone acting as an ancillary screen to the 15" screen?

171786_apple_carplay_in_volvo_xc90-1.jpg

Last edited: