TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Screen Extender

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by electracity, Aug 19, 2017.

1. electracity

electracity Active Member

I may be the last to notice, but Tesla obviously designed the smartphone charging location to extended the 15" screen. Especially a larger smartphone can act like another window in the car UI. So apps like Waze or music can easily be used off the phone instead of the primary screen.

2. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

I'm hoping for the exact opposite: that the Tesla screen can provide a CarPlay or Google Auto window on it. I doubt either will happen though - just my humble opinion.

• Like x 3
  3. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I too doubt we will see CarPlay or Google Auto but I wish they would break down and make it happen when much more basic and lower price point vehicles are capable.

• Like x 2
  4. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Seeing as that the phone "docking station" is only on the premium package, means that it's really not for docking, but only for charging. Tesla will be offering their own LTE wireless connection service I'm sure for an added price after 2 years, and will also charge for music streaming service like Pandora. Car OTA updates are free of course

The only wireless connection to your phone will be phone calls.

5. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

I smell a revolt if Bluetooth audio is not allowed from phones.

6. electracity

#6 electracity, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    An Apple 7 plus is a similar size and more resolution than a carplay window integrated in many cars.

I prefer to see carplay too. But I don't think Tesla will dilute the brand by running an Apple product. Allowing excellent placement of a smartphone under the 15" screen perhaps will pacify some owners who want better Apple or Google integration in a Tesla.

How about a Tesla App that provides the functions users want on a phone acting as an ancillary screen to the 15" screen?

[​IMG]

7. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

This is so basic as to be assumed every car has it anymore. There is no way they take your ability to stream over your phone.

• Like x 2
  8. electracity

#8 electracity, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Pioneer carplay head unit 7"/6.2" 800x480

Apple 7 Plus 5.5" 1080x1920

I don't know the screen size of big and good android phones. 6"?