Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Screen Flickering When Entering Car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7E6B039D-B45E-4A88-A8DB-8AAAAA45F07C.png Has anyone else had the screen become unusable due to a flickering black screen upon waking the car up or entering it? This has happened twice to me, once on V9 and today on V10. So far, it can be corrected by pressing both steering wheel scroll wheels for about 15 seconds. Then the Tesla T comes up and the screen reboots normally. I’ll try to post a pic of what it looks like.

In the pic below, you can see the steering wheel on the far left. The screen is in the middle of the pic. Sorry for the darkness.

My car used to do that. Here's how I could reproduce it every time:

Park the car and let it sit for at least 8 minutes (long enough for the computer to go to sleep).
Then, launch the mobile app, wait for the app to connect to the car, then open the car door.
Blank screen every time on my car.
The service center ended up replacing my screen and I've never had the problem since.

p.s. if the mobile app connects quickly then the computer wasn't sleeping and you won't get the blank screen.

Reactions: Misternt
My car used to do that. Here's how I could reproduce it every time:

Park the car and let it sit for at least 8 minutes (long enough for the computer to go to sleep).
Then, launch the mobile app, wait for the app to connect to the car, then open the car door.
Blank screen every time on my car.
The service center ended up replacing my screen and I've never had the problem since.

p.s. if the mobile app connects quickly then the computer wasn't sleeping and you won't get the blank screen.
Thanks. I’ll try it.

No way! I thought it's just me!
I have this issue almost every morning when getting in the car.
Got my vehicle end of Sept 2019, and it started like 3 days later.
Tesla service had the vehicle for almost 2 weeks, replaced computer and a display to computer cable, claimed it was resolved - but it wasn't.
Got my next appointment scheduled for early Dec.

I've been experiencing this every day (not whilst driving), and it might be that it happens when I have preheated the car using phone app (consistently for the past ten times or so). I have an appointment in January but they already sent me text messages to ask more details.

I had the exact same problem as Inside, Thanks Inside for the steps! I brought my car to the SC shortly after buying it in March 2019. They had my car for several days and reported they couldn't reproduce the issue.

Earlier this week I brought it in and told them the exact set of steps of recreating the issue. Also showed the tech a video of it occurring. They replaced the screen and it's all good now.

Customer: Screen will turn black and unresponsive when the car goes to sleep and is woken up with the mobile
app.
Verified touchscreen defective. Replaced touchscreen assembly and updated vehicle firmware. Confirmed touchscreen
functions as expected.

They finally had my screen replaced and zero issues since then. I kept very detailed diary and took videos for about a week, and then sent the info to Tesla as planned. In my case, it seemed to correlate with pre-heating with the app.